FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1364187-now-expired-sq-releasing-almost-all-f-award-o.html)

zombietooth Jul 8, 2012 3:16 pm

Think Logically.

This is a major mistake by SQ and is likely to be reversed or cancelled.
There is no way any of us can know what will happen, so don't get your hopes too high.

All of the above being said, I went ahead and spent 420K miles since the only downside is that they will eventually refund my miles.

My guess is that UA will give us all some sort of compensation if they cancel these, but who knows.

Good Luck!

uva185 Jul 8, 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by ordflyboy (Post 18892424)
First, you are correct - should have posted in US forum but I thought the topic fit....

So at a suggestion, I called back US and they were able to get the space again. I called SQ and they saw the booking and they made seat assignments.

I also went to checkytrip.com and saw the booking and went to SQ's mobile site and saw all the seat assignments!

hopefully it will all work out!

thanks everyone.

I booked using US miles over New Years and several hours after booking all the SQ flights dropped from the reservation. I rebooked on different dates and not have seats on SQ and the SQ website says I am ticketed while previously it said I was not ticketed. Hopefully I'm good to go this time!!

cyin Jul 8, 2012 3:22 pm

Did a booking around 10 am Pacific. Confirmation from UA end went through, and have SQ confirmed, but not ticketed. Anyone else booking around the same time get ticketed? Was told to wait two days, didn't sound promising.

spideysense Jul 8, 2012 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 18892428)

Perhaps not. Maybe SQ is flying empty planes and they figure they may as well get some revenue out of them:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8HQ0Z620120626

daniellam Jul 8, 2012 3:33 pm

Tip: SQ Record Locator

If your booking also involves a flight on another carrier that uses Amadeus (eg. LH, LO etc.) your SQ PNR = your LH PNR as they now use the same system.

SFO777 Jul 8, 2012 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 18892525)
If your booking also involves a flight on another carrier that uses Amadeus (eg. LH, LO etc.) your SQ PNR = your LH PNR as they now use the same system.

^
Thanks for the tip.

sbm12 Jul 8, 2012 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 18891888)
So how many SQ F sectors do you guys reckon were ticketed from this glitch?
10000? More?

Fewer than 10K. Probably fewer than 5k.

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 18892428)

Maybe, but the US DoT has recently put in place some notable consumer protection rules which are very much in our favor. If the flight is to, from or via the USA then you have the power of the DoT and 49 U.S.C. 41712 § 399.88(a).

It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.
It will be quite hard for SQ to simply cancel all the tickets and tell the customers to pound sand unless they want to get into a pissing contest with the US government.

@ORD Jul 8, 2012 3:50 pm

both UA and SQ display incorrect flight time

I booked on SQ62 (SIN>DME>IAH), both UA and SQ mobile site show the total travel time as 1 hour 40 minutes!

avsfan733 Jul 8, 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18892582)
Maybe, but the US DoT has recently put in place some notable consumer protection rules which are very much in our favor.

As a serious question, does this apply to mileage tickets? :confused:

dat4life Jul 8, 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by @ORD (Post 18892591)
I booked on SQ62 (SIN>DME>IAH), both UA and SQ mobile site show the total travel time as 1 hour 40 minutes!

Psshhh 35 minutes for me;)

cruisr Jul 8, 2012 3:58 pm

Xld New years and booked Memorial Day

This way I can have more vacation time accrued. Better flights and all in F on UA (I know) and SQ on the 777. Probably going to go up to Langawi (sp) Island for a couple days on a cheap Air Asia fare while I am in SIN. So now we are going to PVG for New Years Eve. Colder but should still be warmer than NYC. Its seems as if I have run out of Europe destinations as I will be going Asia 4x in 5 months....

Adam1222 Jul 8, 2012 3:59 pm

Still seeing F availability on SIN-LHR, SIN-SFO, SIN-IAH, SIN-BCN, SIN-MUC and SIN-MXP.
Earlier today I booked
EWR-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-SGN (SQ J) stop
SGN-BKK (TG J) stop
BKK-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-HKG-SFO (SQ F)
SFO-EWR (UA/pmCO F)

Not loving the three stops on the way home and ending in pmCo First on a redeye, but oh well.

JetAway Jul 8, 2012 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by avsfan733 (Post 18892600)
As a serious question, does this apply to mileage tickets? :confused:

The key term is "purchase," which does not appear to be limited to purchase by monetary funds. And a mileage "purchase" also includes payments of certain fees and taxes by relevant currency. But this situation may be the first test of the law/regulation as applied to frequent flyer miles, if it goes that far.

UrbaneGent Jul 8, 2012 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 18887949)
Out of curiosity check random dates in August. While there were availability, the website would not allow me to book - got error message, due to rapidly change award availability, the flights selected are no longer available...

I get that too but rebook again doing it fast and it goes through

GetSetJetSet Jul 8, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 18891888)
So how many SQ F sectors do you guys reckon were ticketed from this glitch?
10000? More?

I think you vastly overestimate both the amount of people who are attuned to these sort of things and the amount of people who are as crazy as we are, and will plan a vacation/trip around a chance to fly SQ F.

Originally Posted by HansGolden (Post 18892300)

You don't need a visa if your layover is under 24 hr and you do not leave the int'l terminal. Otherwise you need to get tourist or transit visa (both cost the same: $170). I'm flying into SVO on LO and out of DME on SQ and overnighting (if LO space opens up for day before, I will spend two nights). First time in Russia, so will run around Red Square and other places quickly. $170 is a whole lotta Visa fee for <24 hr, but if I split the cost between a few hours in Moscow and SQ F, it's affordable. :cool: (Staying at Radisson Royal for 50k points, should get nice upgrade as CC C.)

^

I have a good friend in Moscow, I would visit there for the evening. As my stop would be about 22h, definitely leaving DME. The issue with the tourist visa is you need a letter of invitation from your hotel. Since I would be staying with a friend instead of a hotel it becomes a headache for a private person to apply for a letter of invitation, get it to me, etc... If the transit visa allows me to enter the country with nothing but proof of my arriving flight and my departing flight less than 24 hours later, that would be a lot easier for me to organize.

pdx1M Jul 8, 2012 4:10 pm

I notice that I can see my reservations on the mobile site (and I selected seats that way) and I can see them via checkmytrip. However, if I go to the Singapore site to manage bookings and enter the SQ PNR and last name it thnks a while and then simply returns me to the query page. Is there some trick to getting the main SQ site to look up a reservation that I am missing?

macroworld Jul 8, 2012 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M (Post 18892679)
I notice that I can see my reservations on the mobile site (and I selected seats that way) and I can see them via checkmytrip. However, if I go to the Singapore site to manage bookings and enter the SQ PNR and last name it thnks a while and then simply returns me to the query page. Is there some trick to getting the main SQ site to look up a reservation that I am missing?

Using your ticket number or the PNR of the issuing airline must work.

uva185 Jul 8, 2012 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M (Post 18892679)

I'm having the same problem. I was able to pull it up once and now it won't work. It does not generate an error, it just doesn't load anything. :confused:

channa Jul 8, 2012 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by uva185 (Post 18892726)
I'm having the same problem. I was able to pull it up once and now it won't work. It does not generate an error, it just doesn't load anything. :confused:

Same here. Mine is part of a larger ticket with 3 other carriers. I wonder if that's the problem.

Any chance only simpler bookings display at the site?

yerffej201 Jul 8, 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden (Post 18892340)
I'm not aware that the DOT gave KE the option to re-route on an alternate carrier? :confused::confused::confused:

I don't think KE would be able to do it on a REVENUE Ticket. This is an award ticket on United.

pdx1M Jul 8, 2012 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by uva185 (Post 18892726)

Yup, interestingly if you supply a clearly wrong PNR (I tried the original UA one knowing it was useless on the SQ site) you do get an error that it could not find such a record. But if you use the valid SQ one you just get nothing.

GetSetJetSet Jul 8, 2012 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 18892636)
Still seeing F availability on SIN-LHR, SIN-SFO, SIN-IAH, SIN-BCN, SIN-MUC and SIN-MXP.
Earlier today I booked
EWR-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-SGN (SQ J) stop
SGN-BKK (TG J) stop
BKK-SIN (SQ J)
SIN-HKG-SFO (SQ F)
SFO-EWR (UA/pmCO F)

Not loving the three stops on the way home and ending in pmCo First on a redeye, but oh well.

Seems a poor value to pay the 140k rate and get so few of the legs in F.

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 18892656)
The key term is "purchase," which does not appear to be limited to purchase by monetary funds. And a mileage "purchase" also includes payments of certain fees and taxes by relevant currency. But this situation may be the first test of the law/regulation as applied to frequent flyer miles, if it goes that far.

My UA record says the booking is ticketed and confirmed. I have a UA ticket #, an SQ locator and I have selected my seats. I also called SQ re. seat selection and their phone agent confirmed all my segments verbally. I feel pretty confident. That being said, I was only half-planning on going to Asia during this time frame before I found out about this deal, so I won't be too crestfallen if SQ pulls out and the miles end up back in my account.

Vunder31 Jul 8, 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by macroworld (Post 18892709)
Using your ticket number or the PNR of the issuing airline must work.

No, the Singapore website requires the SQ PNR (or PNR from other airline that uses Amadeus, e.g. LH) or SQ ticket number. UA PNR and/or ticket number won't do.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 18892747)

I believe the difference between C and F is 10k miles one-way for US-Asia awards. Would I spend 10k extra for SIN-HKG-SFO-EWR in F instead of C? Probably.

Adam1222 Jul 8, 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 18892747)

It's not 140k.
Paying the business rate for the way out. And as for the way back, I'm fine in Business for the short flight to Singapore. There's nothing available SIN-FRA-JFK, which would be the only way to get all F on the return.

GetSetJetSet Jul 8, 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 18892771)
I believe the difference between C and F is 10k miles one-way for US-Asia awards. Would I spend 10k extra for SIN-HKG-SFO-EWR in F instead of C? Probably.

Personal pref. I suppose. I'd sooner try to go EWR-IAH-DME-SIN on the way there and squeeze in a sub-24 hour "connection" to spend a night with friends in Moscow on the way out, then return via SFO as he is. 18 hours is a long time to be on a plane, even with SQ.

jasonvr Jul 8, 2012 4:52 pm

Maybe this is SQ's new strategy to quiet those who say they never release awards to partners. Once a year, have a fire sale for 24 hours (and don't announce when it will be). And if you ever complain, they say - "What are you talking about, we released F and J on almost all routes for a full 24 hours, where were you?" :D

SFOTurtle Jul 8, 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by spideysense (Post 18892480)
Perhaps not. Maybe SQ is flying empty planes and they figure they may as well get some revenue out of them:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8HQ0Z620120626

Exactly. Why not release a few award seats on long haul flights? Not only to make a little extra revenue for an otherwise empty seat, but also for marketing. Having experienced SQ on an award, passengers might just be willing to book those seats for future business travel instead of reflexively choosing UA.

I am still seeing some SQ availability but not on every flight and in every class. Sure, some of these awards were snatched up in the last 24 hours, but it's not like SQ was releasing every unsold seat for award redemption. Usually just a couple of seats per flight, which is what most of the world thinks should be available anyway. Makes me wonder how much of a mistake this really is/was.

Vunder31 Jul 8, 2012 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle (Post 18892846)
Exactly. Why not release a few award seats on long haul flights? Not only to make a little extra revenue for an otherwise empty seat, but also for marketing. Having experienced SQ on an award, passengers might just be willing to book those seats for future business travel instead of reflexively choosing UA.

A quick look at the seat maps shows anywhere between 0/8 and 7/8 F seats reserved (mostly between 2/8 and 4/8) on SQ1 this coming week. Sure, the seatmap is not a 100% indication of actual bookings, but it doesn't seem like SQ sells out F very often.

daniellam Jul 8, 2012 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 18892838)
Maybe this is SQ's new strategy to quiet those who say they never release awards to partners. Once a year, have a fire sale for 24 hours (and don't announce when it will be). And if you ever complain, they say - "What are you talking about, we released F and J on almost all routes for a full 24 hours, where were you?" :D

Perhaps SQ is going to go the way of LH because of their switch to Amadeus?

Maybe under SQ's old reservation system due to technical limitations they had no choice but to restrict access to award inventory on their 77W and A380 flights so that they won't be viewable / bookable by their *A partners (while bookable for their own members)?

However, now that they're using Amadeus (which LH also uses), they now have the ability to restrict viewership/booking of their award inventory to certain "Amadeus office IDs" within SQ's own frequent flyer program (so their own members have first choice of awards) and then about 2 weeks prior to departure lift this restriction and allow other *A partners to view/booking their award inventory.

My speculation is that this module hasn't been turned on yet (they're probably still ironing out other technical issues that are more critical after the migration to Amadeus) so that's why we're seeing lots of SQ award inventory.

I am guessing that once this module is turned on, we'll be seeing lots of "phantom availability" for SQ flights on the UA and perhaps other *A partner websites which may then only be bookable approximately 7-14 days before departure.

On a separate note: When CX switched over to Amadeus several months ago, they were overzealous in implementing security features that restricted access to their award inventory by their partner airilnes (eg. AA). AA members were not able to book CX awards for a couple of weeks.

Adam1222 Jul 8, 2012 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 18892805)
Personal pref. I suppose. I'd sooner try to go EWR-IAH-DME-SIN on the way there and squeeze in a sub-24 hour "connection" to spend a night with friends in Moscow on the way out, then return via SFO as he is. 18 hours is a long time to be on a plane, even with SQ.

Having only one stop en route to SGN is nice.
Other options are:
EWR-DOH-BKK-SGN on QR with an overnight in DOH, which seems silly
EWR-IST-BKK-SGN on TK with 12 hours in IST.

or United metal to ZRH, CDG, or LHR, and then SQ J to SIN.
18 hours on a plane is long, but 20hrs plus a 2 hour stop isnt much better.

DrivingRain Jul 8, 2012 5:16 pm

Quick heads up: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Daniel,
In light of the Amadeus switchover and problems we are having seeing sq pnrs on sq.com (and sometime sq mobile); would Lufthansa.com be a reliable alternative? Or is there nothing that comes close to equalling seeing it on sq.

GetSetJetSet Jul 8, 2012 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 18892929)
Having only one stop en route to SGN is nice.
Other options are:
EWR-DOH-BKK-SGN on QR with an overnight in DOH, which seems silly
EWR-IST-BKK-SGN on TK with 12 hours in IST.

or United metal to ZRH, CDG, or LHR, and then SQ J to SIN.
18 hours on a plane is long, but 20hrs plus a 2 hour stop isnt much better.

I like trying to toss in a few 20-23 hour "connections" when the flight times allow to get a night here or there in different cities. Definitely wouldn't advise anyone to deal with the train wreck that is QR award bookings now that UA agents have been lied to a brainwashed that QR bookings can't be made after 6/15. It took me about a week to straighten out my CDG-DOH-TBS-IST-BEY, CAI-ZRH-BCN booking because two of the legs were on QR and I still haven't been re-credited the 35,000 miles UA owes me.

daniellam Jul 8, 2012 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain (Post 18892945)
Daniel,
In light of the Amadeus switchover and problems we are having seeing sq pnrs on sq.com (and sometime sq mobile); would Lufthansa.com be a reliable alternative? Or is there nothing that comes close to equalling seeing it on sq.

Lufthansa.com will only work if the Amadeus PNR also includes LH segments.

Try www.checkmytrip.com (or classic.checkmytrip.com). CheckMyTrip allows you to view entire Amadeus PNRs.

The SQ website will only display Amadeus PNRs that have SQ flights as the first segment (this is based on some testing I have done).

As a note, I am no way affiliated with SQ or their IT partners.

bergo Jul 8, 2012 5:36 pm

I've got 0 experience booking any sort of stopover, but would like to if I could. I've tried to read up on the *A threads about how they work, but am still a bit confused. Would it be possible to go from maybe DFW to Moscow, stop over in Moscow with Vietnam as the final destination before heading back to the states? If not Vietnam, some other country in Asia other than Signapore, and keep the Moscow stop over? Any tips or suggested routes with a stopover would be greatly appreciated.

damaxer91 Jul 8, 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by bergo (Post 18893019)
I've got 0 experience booking any sort of stopover, but would like to if I could. I've tried to read up on the *A threads about how they work, but am still a bit confused. Would it be possible to go from maybe DFW to Moscow, stop over in Moscow with Vietnam as the final destination before heading back to the states? If not Vietnam, some other country in Asia other than Signapore, and keep the Moscow stop over? Any tips or suggested routes with a stopover would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely.

nihaoa Jul 8, 2012 5:49 pm

Just in!

Thanks OP!

Booked SQ 15/SQ 866 SFO-SIN-HKG, and HKG-SIN-LAX on A380, both on J.

An interesting thing I found out is that if I book using one way SFO-HKG, I can get SQ 15 with UA 896 connecting in SIN. Total 60,000 miles and $ 12.

Since I want to maximize SQ experience, I use multi-city SFO-SIN-HKG booking. However, if I choose SQ 890, it is 77,500 Miles and $12.00; on the other hand, if I choose SQ 866 or UA 896, it is 60,000 Miles and $12.00. Why is there a 17500 mile difference for the booking?

AA_EXP09 Jul 8, 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 18892997)
Lufthansa.com will only work if the Amadeus PNR also includes LH segments.

Try www.checkmytrip.com (or classic.checkmytrip.com). CheckMyTrip allows you to view entire Amadeus PNRs.

The SQ website will only display Amadeus PNRs that have SQ flights as the first segment (this is based on some testing I have done).

As a note, I am no way affiliated with SQ or their IT partners.

Not that SQ has a huge presence here....

chinatraderjmr Jul 8, 2012 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18892582)
Maybe, but the US DoT has recently put in place some notable consumer protection rules which are very much in our favor. If the flight is to, from or via the USA then you have the power of the DoT and 49 U.S.C. 41712 § 399.88(a).

It will be quite hard for SQ to simply cancel all the tickets and tell the customers to pound sand unless they want to get into a pissing contest with the US government.

Something Singapore has never minded doing in the past. It's nice to be a small rich country that does not need the US's money OR protection.

DC777Fan Jul 8, 2012 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18893054)
Something Singapore has never minded doing in the past. It's nice to be a small rich country that does not need the US's money OR protection.

Yeah, but how would being disallowed to serve US airports (if it came to that) affect SQ's bottom line? Not as if DoT has no teeth whatsoever...

DavisCalifJr Jul 8, 2012 6:52 pm

Just booked and confirmed SMF>LAX>NRT in business class on the A380 for April for 6 days. Will have a few lunches and dinners with friends in Tokyo and come back the same route for 120k miles.

Might be a dumb question, but how do I get my seats confirmed on the 2 Singapore flights? I was able to choose seats on the UA domestic portions, but I thought it wasn't a good idea to call SG? Is there another way to choose seats online that I don't know about? This is my first award booking (and one that will be hard to beat as a newbie!).

I have my UA PNR number and the confirmation email/itinerary. Any help will be appreciated ;) I don't want to screw this up!