Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Misspelled name / wrong order on ticket [Consoldiated]
Presence of / lack of / mismatch of middle name on ticket or IDs? [Consolidated]
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?
Print Wikipost

Ticket name issues due to marriage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by onthesam
Trying to book ORD-SJD for my wife who has 2 FFC (each partially flown) under her maiden name expiring soon. Passport is now under the married name. For domestic travels, we have simply used old ID and/or new ID + marriage certificate. I suspect that we will need this ticket to match the passport for immigration on both ends.

Anyone have luck getting this done? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
explain the situation to UA. They can issue an ETC and then that is not a problem. UA should be able to do this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by jsn55
best to buy a tix in her new legal name and worry about the credits later.
This would have been ideal if CS was more willing to extend the expiry of the FFCs. In our instance, my SO will not be traveling after next month for a period of a few months. Unfortunately, life events can get in the way of expiring FFCs.

Originally Posted by cfischer
explain the situation to UA. They can issue an ETC and then that is not a problem. UA should be able to do this.
This is what I was hoping would happen. The various agents I spoke with were apparently unable or completely unwilling to convert the FFCs, especially partially used residual funds, to ETCs.

Ultimately, after a HUCA followed by a couple of hours on the telephone with an agent who wanted to make this work somehow, we were successful. While he couldn't issue the certificate, it appears that with help from folks in the background he applied the FFC to a new ticket issued in her maiden name and then changed the name on the ticket (this seemingly proves it can be done).

Agent able to see that that her mileage plus profile name had already been updated certainly helped. It also helped that this was an international itinerary -- for domestic itineraries it seems to be the policy to inform travelers to bring documentation of the name change and present it to TSA rather than make changes to credits or tickets.

​​​​​
SPN Lifer, jsloan and jsn55 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Question Name change on international miles ticket

I booked a ticket using UA miles with segments on TK and LX for travel this coming September. My wife recently changed her last name (new name is "First Middle Maiden Last", old was "First Middle Maiden"). UA text support tells me they can't change the name on the ticket because partner airline travel is involved. Will this cause problems if she gets a new passport with her new name? Is this the case of an agent who doesn't know better or accurate?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
I booked a ticket using UA miles with segments on TK and LX for travel this coming September. My wife recently changed her last name (new name is "First Middle Maiden Last", old was "First Middle Maiden"). UA text support tells me they can't change the name on the ticket because partner airline travel is involved. Will this cause problems if she gets a new passport with her new name? Is this the case of an agent who doesn't know better or accurate?
Highly unlikely you can use OLCI but if the passport still includes her maiden name then it shouldn't be a problem when checking in at the airport.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
It is helpful to bring the old passport and marriage license, but otherwise this something the airlines and immigration folks see everyday.

And yes, very unlikely to get the ticket name changed and attempting could mess things up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Yes, there will be problems with a new passport. Her name must match exactly on tix and passport. If the trip was on UA metal, you'd have a pretty good chance of showing up with a marriage cert, etc. But I'd not chance it on a partner airline. I have heard about instances where a woman had to buy a new tix. Airlines are just stupid with this name thing, it's another way to increase revenue by charging people to make changes like this. The change could be made on a computer in 30 seconds, it's infuriating. Sooooooo, she should fly on her old passport, unless it expires before whatever rules you encounter at whatever agency. You could go out to the airport to see if an in-person agent could help. However, the following would be the easy way:

Over the past two years, I have had two instances when I needed to communicate with a United agent about a hairy little problem. In both cases I used 'chat' and the agent was great to work with. It takes forever, but it worked very well.Your wife should try that first, begging UA to just add the extra name. It's not as tho she has literally changed her name, it's just adding your name to hers. They should do that with the proof from your marriage cert which you can send in via secure email when they ask for it. Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2022 at 7:41 pm Reason: removed off topic subject
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:15 pm

Marriage Name Change United with partner airlines

Sorry for repeat topic, but slightly different question I think
Wife and I scheduled to travel internationally in September. Flight booked through United but has Lufthansa and TAP ( Portugal) partner flights as well as native United flights on itinerary. Ticket booked in maiden name, now name changed with new passport. Called United prior to name change and they said no issue. Called united now and they said because there are partner airlines involved, they cannot change name. They assured me though no issue, just bring marriage certificate with us and when we check in they will manually correct name so it matches her passport. This of course makes me nervous showing up to airport on day of departure with a small amount of uncertainty. I called both partner airlines and they said only United can make changes to a ticket since it was booked through UA. Called and chatted with United several times and they say same answer. Does this sound ok? I would much rather just have name changed which they can't do. They offered to cancel flight and rebook but same flights are not available. What they are saying makes sense I just hate the uncertainty...
Thoughts? Does it sound right?

Last edited by aweinfeld; Jun 21, 2022 at 2:32 pm Reason: Change title
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Essentially the agents are correct, you can not make more than spelling corrections,

However, if you carrier the previous passport and the new passport plus a copy of the marriage license showing the name change, things should be fine. Immgration agents and airline agents deal with this situation on a daily basis, all will be fine with the extra documentation.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:36 pm

well I think it was my lucky day! I chatted back and reached a very helpful agent who was able to change the name for me. I. Worried it was properly changed on all partner airlines so we are good to go… yay!!!!!
a LOT of time and frustration spent but it paid off and decrease my anxiety :-)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Essentially the agents are correct, you can not make more than spelling corrections,

However, if you carrier the previous passport and the new passport plus a copy of the marriage license showing the name change, things should be fine. Immgration agents and airline agents deal with this situation on a daily basis, all will be fine with the extra documentation.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
I need some help. On 9/23/2022 I booked a ticket for our daughter. She had been recently divorced and had changed her name back to her maiden name. I made a mistake and inadvertently pulled up her “married” name & details from my “saved travelers” list.

I’d like to change her last name only on the ticket. How can I get that done?

Thanks in advance,
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by rabilancia
.... How can I get that done? ...,
This is harder then it seems like it should be and if multiple carriers maybe not possible. General UA would resist changing the ticket . BUT this is just the reverse of a name change on marriage and the same solution should apply.

First question -- are the traveler's id back to the maiden name? Then take the portion legal documents showing the reversion of the name change, some id with the old name change and allow extra time for check-in and TSA.

Going international, things get more complicated but the above still works. For international travel, UA must ensure accurate APIS data is collected and it matches the passport.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I need some help. On 9/23/2022 I booked a ticket for our daughter. She had been recently divorced and had changed her name back to her maiden name. I made a mistake and inadvertently pulled up her “married” name & details from my “saved travelers” list.

I’d like to change her last name only on the ticket. How can I get that done?

Thanks in advance,
If she has not changed her passport yet then she can fly on the passport in her married name.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:26 am

First question -- are the traveler's id back to the maiden name?
Yes. Also, it's just a domestic flight.

But, here's the good news: I simply reached out to United via Facebook messenger. They made the change! No docs required. The process took only a couple of hours with just 2 message exchanges. I verified the name change by logging into United and looking at the revised confirmation.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2022 at 1:13 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:15 pm

... But, here's the good news: I simply reached out to United via Facebook messenger. They made the change!
Great!
How soon after booking was this done?
Was the original fare still available?
Did the e-ticket number change?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:09 am

Great!
How soon after booking was this done?
Was the original fare still available?
Did the e-ticket number change?
1. Just over 3 months.
2. Yes. No change in fare.
3. It does not appear so.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.