Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket, account, ID name mismatch/spelling, order, concatenation issues [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Misspelled name / wrong order on ticket [Consoldiated]
Ticket name issues due to marriage
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Ticket name issues due to marriage
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Archived posts -- UA ticket, account, ID name miss-match/spelling, order, concatenation issue[Archived]
Print Wikipost

UA ticket, account, ID name mismatch/spelling, order, concatenation issues [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Surname
Lastname

Given names
Firstname Middlename1 Middlename2

When coworker booked the international ticket...she didnt tell the TA her Middlename2 thats indicated in her pp. We found out a week later but TA says should be fine 99.999% of time. Coworker called UA and UA said no....need everything thats printed in pp???

whats the deal?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by seks
Surname
Lastname

Given names
Firstname Middlename1 Middlename2

When coworker booked the international ticket...she didnt tell the TA her Middlename2 thats indicated in her pp. We found out a week later but TA says should be fine 99.999% of time. Coworker called UA and UA said no....need everything thats printed in pp???

whats the deal?
I've never had an issue with my middle name being omitted from my ticket on any UA or *A partner; domestic or intl despite my passport having my First Middle Last in it.
99.9% of the time, I travel with LAST NAME, FIRST NAME
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
TA says should be fine 99.999% of time. Coworker called UA and UA said no....need everything thats printed in pp???

whats the deal?
Co-worker must have got the 00.0000000001% @ UA that ALWAYS says NO!

As has been mentioned abv, FIRST & LAST - ONLY should be fine.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Surname

whats the deal?
(Bold added by me)

It will almost certainly not be a problem leaving; however depending on the country and what exactly your coworker has booked vs what is on their passport (it is not clear to me based on your post what her pp says vs what ticket says), they might be subjected to additional questions and screening.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by siege101
In December I'll be flying from Newark to Seattle on United, when I booked the ticket I just included my middle initial on the reservation. I recently signed up for the Global Entry program and it includes, as I'm sure you all know, TSA Pre. I used my full middle name for that, as its what's on my passport. According to the TSA in order to get the Pre benefits your name on the reservation must exactly match the name they have on file, including your full middle name.

Is this going to be a hassle to have United change on my reservation? Technically I'm not changing the person that's flying, just adding my full middle name. Its important to me to get the Pre benefits because I'm flying at Christmas time and want to avoid the long security lines.
Updating an very old post mine in case anybody finds themselves in a similar situation. I got my TSA Pre on the boarding pass, all I did was add my Trusted Traveler number to the reservation. Oh and it was very much worth it, the line for normal security was incredibly long.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
PP has full name
GE has First and Last
DL has First MI Last
Tickets have had all combinations, full, First MI Last, and First Last Only and used with all combinations of ID, GE, DL, or PP.
Now international, I typically use the PP as ID. My ticket typically only has First and Last Only

Never had an issue with Pre, GE, customs, etc.

I'd only worry if your first, middle, or last name are spelled incorrectly
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:57 am

name order swap Any ideas

So a ticket has been purchased from online broker Opodo but some how I managed to swap my first and last name. Is there any hope to getting to fly? Ticket is in L class using multiple different Star Alliance partners from FRA to MSY
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
So a ticket has been purchased from online broker Opodo but some how I managed to swap my first and last name. Is there any hope to getting to fly? Ticket is in L class using multiple different Star Alliance partners from FRA to MSY
When did you purchase it? I have never purchased a ticket from an online broker so don't know if they have the 24 hours grace period.

Do they have a phone number you can call and ask for the names to be reversed?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
You should have no problems at all - happens all the time.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Good luck getting anyone to change this. You should be able to fly with no problem. But hang nto your boarding passes to get mileage credit as flights will not post automatically. Also, any *A status you have will not be automatically recognised on these flights.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:30 am

While there might not be a problem with a completely domestic ticket, good luck with USCIS and TSA. I'm suspecting they may look at the name disconnect as a means of getting by entry and the no-fly list checks.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Contact the broker?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
These kinds of naming errors happen pretty frequently. They shouldn't result in a denial of boarding. I agree that the only "fix" would be to start over again. Up to you whether the peace of mind is worth the cost.

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
While there might not be a problem with a completely domestic ticket, good luck with USCIS and TSA. I'm suspecting they may look at the name disconnect as a means of getting by entry and the no-fly list checks.
I think you mean "guessing with absolutely no basis in fact."
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
This is a very routine issue - different countries have different name order conventions, and travelers/travel agents make mistakes all the time, too. There would be no reason for them to suspect any malicious intent based on reversed name order alone.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:50 am

I didn't say the individual would be denied entry or that there was malicious intent, or that it wasn't a common problem. I said any discrepancy between the passport, visa and travel docs could invite attention. Personally, the less interaction I have with security types the better. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.