Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket, account, ID name mismatch/spelling, order, concatenation issues [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Misspelled name / wrong order on ticket [Consoldiated]
Ticket name issues due to marriage
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Ticket name issues due to marriage
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Archived posts -- UA ticket, account, ID name miss-match/spelling, order, concatenation issue[Archived]
Print Wikipost

UA ticket, account, ID name mismatch/spelling, order, concatenation issues [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
My name has a French and German spelling with 1 letter difference. My passport is with the French spelling but I traveled several time with the German last name spelling on my plane ticket.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, dvielhab!

There is no hard-and-fast rule, but omitting a letter or two, transposing two letters, or having similar letters (like B for P) would generally be considered reasonable. The important part to get right is the Secure Flight information.
I thought the IATA rule allowed for a discrepancy up to 3 letters?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Smith - Sit
Johnson - Jonso
Williams - Wiliam

OP says missing one letter from the middle and the last. I think it sort of depends on the last name. In the examples above, the first might be a problem, the second is ify and the last one probably ok. It may help if OP and daughter have same last name and they are all traveling together.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's 3 characters. In the examples in #7 , all 3 meet the IATA standard.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It's 3 characters. In the examples in #7 , all 3 meet the IATA standard.
good to know - this is true even for very short names like Hall or Dao?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Scare of my life when boarding pass eliminated last letter of first name...

For some reason, the displayed name on the check in kiosk eliminated a letter from my first name.

I re checked and the name on the record included the letter so I wasn't too worried.

Went thru TSA pre check no problem and the electronic version on the boarding pass on the app is fine.

Has anyone seen this before and also, wouldn't the TSA person make a Comment about it?

Not complaining in any way
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If that was the scare of your life... good on you!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended

Scare of your life???
iskingolf likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
If that was the scare of your life... good on you!
Traveling on an international award Polaris ticket.

I booked the ticket thru Aeroplan and thought it would mess up my trip by not allowing me to fly.

OK, not the scare of my life, but definitely scare of the week!!!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this was the scare of your life, you are one of the luckiest people I have ever come across. Hope you stay away from haunted houses at Halloween.

Yes, this is not only common but routine. The BP only prints out so many characters and thus, if your surname (which is the key) is long, the system will truncate some number of letters from your given name.

Hence, SMITH, John is SMITH, John
but, SMITHSONIAN, Johnson is SMITHSONIAN, Jo

Nothing to worry about and is the IATA standard worldwide.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Happens to my wife all the time - long hypenated last name. Also happens to me quite often (though my name isn't really that long - 12 letters total).
Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Skymiles; Marriott Rewards; UAL MileagePlus
Red face Typo on Name a Problem and possible issue of ticket taxes? [RESOLVED]

So I have just discovered that my middle initial is incorrect on my MileagePlus account. It's an obvious typo and after discussions with the Customer Relations people that the UA website says such simple changes are easily accomplished without a legal name change document, it has now finally been corrected. But my reservations to LHR next month still show (and cannot be changed without significant expense) the wrong initial. I actually flew internationally with UA a couple of years ago, with the typo, which was the last time I've been anywhere. I know things are different in the time of Covid, and I know UA would like me to check in ahead of time to ensure I'm eligible to travel, but I can't because my passport is different from my reservation (by one initial). My husband and I do know and are comfortable meeting all the requirements for travel to the UK and back, as of this date. But will we have a problem checking in once we get to EWR?? The Reservations agent says my ticket shows as non-confirmed.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlaAnnie
So I have just discovered that my middle initial is incorrect on my MileagePlus account. It's an obvious typo and after discussions with the Customer Relations people that the UA website says such simple changes are easily accomplished without a legal name change document, it has now finally been corrected. But my reservations to LHR next month still show (and cannot be changed without significant expense) the wrong initial. I actually flew internationally with UA a couple of years ago, with the typo, which was the last time I've been anywhere. I know things are different in the time of Covid, and I know UA would like me to check in ahead of time to ensure I'm eligible to travel, but I can't because my passport is different from my reservation (by one initial). My husband and I do know and are comfortable meeting all the requirements for travel to the UK and back, as of this date. But will we have a problem checking in once we get to EWR?? The Reservations agent says my ticket shows as non-confirmed.
Yes, but TSA and the UK will likely give you problems. Computer systems (and TSA) aren't terribly flexible.

David
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:55 am

I thought minor name correction to a reservation/ticket can be done without any cost or document? Perhaps HUCA? You can ask them to drop the middle initial if changing it is not possible.
artvandalay and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by B747SP
I thought minor name correction to a reservation/ticket can be done without any cost or document? Perhaps HUCA? You can ask them to drop the middle initial if changing it is not possible.
Yes that's my understanding.

This can cause issues getting pre-check. Otherwise, unless UA decides to be very difficult at check-in, it should not otherwise be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.