Ticket name issues due to marriage

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 14, 18, 4:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Originally Posted by SteveHK View Post
Directly from SHARES:

NAME CHANGE GUIDELINES: **NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE A NAME ON A TICKET THAT INVOLVES A SIMPLE ERROR ON THE NAME, SUCH AS NICKNAME, MISSPELLING, OBVIOUS TYPO, NAME REVERSAL CHANGES WITH DOCUMENTATION OF MARRIAGE/DIVORCE. FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL, UA MUST ENSURE ACCURATE APIS DATA IS COLLECTED AND IT MATCHES THE PASSPORT. FOR EXAMPLE, THE NAME ON THE TICKET CAN BE JON SMITH WHILE THE PASSPORT REFLECTS JONATHAN SMITH. APIS DATA MUST REFLECT JONATHAN SMITH - EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE PASSPORT, BUT NAME CHANGE TO THE TICKET IS UNNECESSARY.

Just ensure APIS is correct and you should be golden.
SHARES is UA system and strictly limited to UA, but it is likely other airlines have similar instructions for their staff

Related threads
Misspelled name / wrong order on ticket [Consoldiated]
Presence of / lack of / mismatch of middle name on ticket or IDs? [Consolidated]
United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 2, 12, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Ticket name issues due to marriage

Booked internationally on an award tix with Asiana on Married Last Name

Passport with Maiden Name
Brought passport with Marriage license
United denied issuing boarding pass
PS. Flew internationally to Asia 3 months ago with same documents with no issue.

Can anyone help me if there's anything I can do? Now I am stuck with 2 weeks paid hotels and tours in Europe.
Old Jun 2, 12, 9:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
there is a thread in travel buzz on this.....iirc, someone posted that ua said pp & ml was fine for your situation....

did they say what you should have brought?

seems like a rat fink deal to me.....
Old Jun 2, 12, 9:35 am
Original Poster

united didnt honor my marriage license

The supervisor said the name has to match in both ticket and passport. No other documents will be taken.

I even had the Asiana agent on the phone speak to the Supervisor saying it can be clearly verified. But United supervisor said no way I eill be flying.
Old Jun 2, 12, 9:50 am

Programs: Nothing much anymore.
I don't know the rules, but it does seem that you've had at least three months to obtain a new passport. Why haven't you done this?

My advice would be to get yourself to a passport agency and get a new passport. You can then figure out a way to resume your trip in the middle.
Old Jun 2, 12, 9:55 am
Original Poster

I had to renew my passport before a year before my wedding and did not want to incur the extra $150 or so for a new passport.

I am trying to see if I can resume our trip in the middle. :-)

Originally Posted by benny248 View Post
I don't know the rules, but it does seem that you've had at least three months to obtain a new passport. Why haven't you done this?

My advice would be to get yourself to a passport agency and get a new passport. You can then figure out a way to resume your trip in the middle.
Old Jun 2, 12, 10:03 am
VK1

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
I can understand airlines' confusion, though it sucks that they simply wouldn't let you go and didn't give you any option. There's conflicting information from the US Government too. Maybe you can print out and show United people the US CBP regulations since they determine the documents required for departure as well as arrival.

From the State Department:

- I was just issued a passport in my maiden name, so that I could go on my honeymoon. However, I plan to take my husbandís surname when we return. Do I have to apply for a new passport with my married name?

- Yes, because all citizens need to travel in their current, legal names. Please see the chart above or Change Your Name to determine the specific procedure to follow.

From the US Customs and Border Protection (probably the most important but not necessarily the most correct):

- Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

- US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

- Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR): LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.
Old Jun 2, 12, 10:18 am

It looks like there is no fee if you need the name changed on your passport, and it was issued less than one year ago. Has it been more than a year now?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/cor...eName_851.html

Otherwise it's normal renewal fee.
Old Jun 2, 12, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Since its the weekend, I can't get my passport expidited or even try to get my name changed on my itinerary. Per Asiana Agent, they can deal with all of this on Monday. :-(

Originally Posted by VK1 View Post
I can understand airlines' confusion, though it sucks that they simply wouldn't let you go and didn't give you any option. There's conflicting information from the US Government too. Maybe you can print out and show United people the US CBP regulations since they determine the documents required for departure as well as arrival.

From the State Department:

- I was just issued a passport in my maiden name, so that I could go on my honeymoon. However, I plan to take my husband’s surname when we return. Do I have to apply for a new passport with my married name?

- Yes, because all citizens need to travel in their current, legal names. Please see the chart above or Change Your Name to determine the specific procedure to follow.

From the US Customs and Border Protection (probably the most important but not necessarily the most correct):

- Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

- US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

- Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR): LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.
Old Jun 2, 12, 10:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by jjcapule80 View Post
Can anyone help me if there's anything I can do? Now I am stuck with 2 weeks paid hotels and tours in Europe.
I think you have to either haul yourself down to a passport office and pay for one-day turnaround, or pay United to re-issue your ticket in your maiden name.

It doesn't surprise me that Asiana let you slide. A lot of Chinese people have issues with names not aligning with western style forms, such when buying an airline ticket. A simple marriage change sounds like more of the same.

It also does not surprise me that an American carrier would be picky.

I tell newly married friends to book tickets in the name that matches their current ID or passport. My wife never changed her name. Imagine how much hassle that saved her!
Old Jun 2, 12, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Tried to the change fee with United but they said since it was booked by Asiana, United was unable to do it.

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
I think you have to either haul yourself down to a passport office and pay for one-day turnaround, or pay United to re-issue your ticket in your maiden name.

It doesn't surprise me that Asiana let you slide. A lot of Chinese people have issues with names not aligning with western style forms, such when buying an airline ticket. A simple marriage change sounds like more of the same.

It also does not surprise me that an American carrier would be picky.

I tell newly married friends to book tickets in the name that matches their current ID or passport. My wife never changed her name. Imagine how much hassle that saved her!
Old Jun 2, 12, 11:01 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I'm not sure how much it costs, but the back pag of your passport can be ammended (not the page with your info, but last) to contain the marriageinfo. I'm bettng it can be done faster and cheaper that way. I haven't seen it done recently, but it used to be common.
Old Jun 2, 12, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
I'm not sure how much it costs, but the back pag of your passport can be ammended (not the page with your info, but last) to contain the marriageinfo. I'm bettng it can be done faster and cheaper that way. I haven't seen it done recently, but it used to be common.
Dunno about cheaper, but you can get a new passport the same day if you go to one of the passport offices in person.
Old Jun 2, 12, 12:31 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
edit:Posted already by another so a redundant post by me

Last edited by fastair; Jun 2, 12 at 12:39 pm
Old Jun 2, 12, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I have looked at the website. It states that if the passport was changed less than 1 year within the name change it would be free. If it is over a year then it's the same as renewing a passport

Since it's Sat today the earliest I can change my passport is Monday. I am just praying that per Asiana, the booking needs to be cancelled and rebooked all over again. Hoping there's still availability with the same exact itinerary I had since it's such a short notice.

Unfortunately, 75% of the tours and hotels booked are non-refundable :-(

Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Originally Posted by Boghopper View Post
Dunno about cheaper, but you can get a new passport the same day if you go to one of the passport offices in person.
True, as I've done it myself, but I ambetting it takes them less time to type the ammended stuff (it's just a paragraph typed on the back page) than to do the wholethin, plus no photos are required.

And asfor the fee...it is free. http://travel.state.gov/passport/cor...eName_851.html
Old Jun 2, 12, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Tried to the change fee with United but they said since it was booked by Asiana, United was unable to do it.
That is quite standard for any airline.

Last year had to call UA to change my TK flight booked on .bomb

EmailKid

Search this Thread
Search Engine: