Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R space available, #1 on the CPU list, should I call?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R space available, #1 on the CPU list, should I call?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Complimentary Upgrade Snafu - Need Help!

For the first time I am experiencing a problem getting complimentary upgrade. This is for LAX-BOS June 3 flight UA528. It shows R7 RN7 and I was not automatically upgraded (I am Platinum so within the u/g window), so I called up United. The first agent told me I was not eligible for complimentary u/g since I was on Q fare!!! I told her that is not so and after checking with her supervisor she said I was on the waitlist but she could not do anything from her side - I just had to wait! I hung up and called back. Another agent picked up the phone. He told me even though R and RN fare buckets were not 0 they could be used for mileage and instrument upgrades, not just complimentary u/g and in this case there were no seats avbl for complimentary. Is this true? Please advise me as to what I can do. I want to make sure I don't miss out on a u/g for no reason.

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by vnatraj
For the first time I am experiencing a problem getting complimentary upgrade. This is for LAX-BOS June 3 flight UA528. It shows R7 RN7 and I was not automatically upgraded (I am Platinum so within the u/g window), so I called up United. The first agent told me I was not eligible for complimentary u/g since I was on Q fare!!! I told her that is not so and after checking with her supervisor she said I was on the waitlist but she could not do anything from her side - I just had to wait! I hung up and called back. Another agent picked up the phone. He told me even though R and RN fare buckets were not 0 they could be used for mileage and instrument upgrades, not just complimentary u/g and in this case there were no seats avbl for complimentary. Is this true? Please advise me as to what I can do. I want to make sure I don't miss out on a u/g for no reason.

Thanks!
Yes this is true but why are you panicing? You will get the UG if not prior at the gate. This is the new way it works but I can tell you it does work.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Update: I magically got upgraded a few minutes ago. Lost an aisle seat to someone who was faster than me or got assigned an aisle seat by the system but oh well at least the system "worked" as avid said!!!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
What's the current protocol when R>0 and CPU hasn't cleared?

I'm sure this is in another thread somewhere and this will probably get moved but...

I have a flight that's R3 (F5) and I'm within the 1K window. Do I:
  • Call?
  • Sit and do nothing and hope there's a 'sweep'?
  • Go to the airport and throw a tantrum in the Global First lobby?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
unfortunately CPU does not use R inventory (unlikley PMUA where NF/NC was used for both UDU and CR1/SWU/Miles), so there is little to do but wait.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Thank you all for the help and info and links to the other posts... going out to get my subscription to expertflyer.com right now!!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Requesting Bug Reports for EUA's

Someone in a thread somewhere suggested when EUA time has come (ie, 96 hours for a 1k, 72 hours for platinum...) if R>0 and you're not upgraded, that you should call, and end the call one of two ways
1) they manually upgrade you
2) request a bug report be filed

I have 2 follow up questions:
1) How do you know that EUA has/hasn't run? Couldn't it just be a case that EUA doesn't run for several days? That's not really a bug, that's just a system design flaw, correct? Or is the system setup that it runs exactly at 24, 48, 72, 96 hours respectively

2) When asking for a bug report to be filed, what exactly should you do? I tried to do that today, and I'm pretty sure the agent lied and said she filed a bug report but that she didn't actually do anything. I asked for a ticket number or some confirmation and she said she had none. I'm not sure how to handle. Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
One will very rarely happen, agents have specifically been told not to manually upgrade people. Two I've never heard of. You would probably have more luck PMing UA Insider.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Someone in a thread somewhere suggested when EUA time has come (ie, 96 hours for a 1k, 72 hours for platinum...) if R>0 and you're not upgraded, that you should call, and end the call one of two ways

I have 2 follow up questions:
1) How do you know that EUA has/hasn't run? Couldn't it just be a case that EUA doesn't run for several days? That's not really a bug, that's just a system design flaw, correct? Or is the system setup that it runs exactly at 24, 48, 72, 96 hours respectively

2) When asking for a bug report to be filed, what exactly should you do? I tried to do that today, and I'm pretty sure the agent lied and said she filed a bug report but that she didn't actually do anything. I asked for a ticket number or some confirmation and she said she had none. I'm not sure how to handle. Thanks!
To reiterate what has been said many times, complimentary upgrades do NOT cllear into R space, so there is no need or use to call just because you see R availability. This is NOT a bug, it is the way the new system is designed. (if you don't like the lack of transparency that complaint is a legitimate gripe, however is not a bug and it is not something a phone agent can over-ride.)

The sweeps generally happen at the defined intervals, but not always. Sometimes the times are slightly different. The system can also get "stuck" and not process any more upgrades on a particular flight. Several reasons have been speculated as causing this to happen. If you think this has happened on your flight then you should send details ASAP via PM to UA Insider. There is only a short window during which they can investigate.

If you are waiting for a GPU or RPU upgrade to clear and see R then you can call and ask to have it processed because instrument supported upgrades clear into R.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Thumbs down EUA Broken... again

Flying out tomorrow TPA-IAD
Yesterday evening (-2 days) R2RN2
no EUA
This morning (-1 day) R6(!).
no EUA.

just waiting to let the kettles buy it for $39.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by entropy
no EUA
no EUA.

Recently, I've been receiving improved services from UA (at least according to my own perception) after I got matched by AA, and I thought hey, I guess UA took notice that its top flyers have been leaving in droves so it got to shape up. And then I read this post and a number of similar comments on the board, I guess a zebra does not lose its stripes.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Remember that for EUA to process R must be > 0, BUT R > 0 does not mean that EUA will process.

We have debated this many times - either EUA is shut off - so no processing - or R is momentarily set to zero during EUA time. I think it is the first item.

Disappointing. I have seen the same thing too many times. UA has indicated it was an issue with a bad PNR for someone - but I don't take that.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
well, its not ALL bad, I mean if you baby sit the res...

I called in last night they denied there was an issue and said only system can do it.

Just called in again, got a supervisor who manually did the upgrade, if they can see its egregious like this (R2->R6), they should be able to use common sense and do it manually. ^

Disappointing. I have seen the same thing too many times. UA has indicated it was an issue with a bad PNR for someone - but I don't take that.
It may well be a bad PNR (I know for a fact that a bad PNR in the process will screw it up) which is part of why UA's waitlist approach was the right way to do it, not re-checking each res each time through the process.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 5, 2012 at 11:16 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by entropy
no EUA
no EUA.

RN does not = CPU (CPU is a subset of RN). I would bet $100 that you will get the UG...do NOT fall for the urge to use an instrument! THAT, my friends, is what will drive UA to hold back longer. I have seen the movie and I know how it ends. I have received MANY UGs inside 2 days.

Stop panicking!

If they are stupid enough to sell a $39 upgrade when they could sell a $500 Y fare then let them....but trust me they are not.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cova
We have debated this many times - either EUA is shut off - so no processing - or R is momentarily set to zero during EUA time. I think it is the first item.
I don't think they shut off EUA (though the symptoms certainly look like it).

I think the stall theory is correct. Also, as has been pointed out, they hold back some seats, so if R is low (e.g., 1-2), it may be a holdback flight.

But with R6, it should be running.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.