Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R space available, #1 on the CPU list, should I call?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

I'm from the PMUA side, so not very familiar with the new CPU stuff. I know that it is done by sweeps, but if there is R available, and I'm #1 on the list, will the call center agents confirm me right on the spot if I call in? Many thanks!
Old May 30, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I'm from the PMUA side, so not very familiar with the new CPU stuff. I know that it is done by sweeps, but if there is R available, and I'm #1 on the list, will the call center agents confirm me right on the spot if I call in? Many thanks!
Just wait. The sweep will happen. I have not missed on in 60 flights.

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
No they won't help you if it's a CPU. If you were using an instrument you could call and have it forced but for CPU's you just have to wait for the system to handle it.
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Great. Thanks for quick reply!
Old May 30, 2012, 10:23 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
No they won't help you if it's a CPU. If you were using an instrument you could call and have it forced but for CPU's you just have to wait for the system to handle it.
Exactly--R inventory is not TMK used for CPUs, anyway, just for instrument-supported upgrades. It may be an indicator that CPUs may happen, but it is not a guarantee.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
I have tried calling the 1K desk but no can do was the answer unless I was willing to use a CR1 or whatever it is called these days.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just to echo some ideas I offered elsewhere (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...9-rn9.36998/):

If your upgrade is coming from a RPU/GPU/miles+copay: call in and ask politely about the status of your upgrade. "Do I remember right that these upgrades come from the R booking class? Hmm, I see that it's R9. Could you help out?" They should fix it; if they don't, hang up and try again.

If your upgrade is coming from a CPU: wait and hope for the best. There's a known bug where the CPU process shuts down entirely if someone ahead of you in line has an out-of-sync ticket and can't be upgraded; this leaves the flight wide open for RPU/GPU/miles+copay and possibly cash buy-ups, and it leaves you in a position to wait until things get sorted out, possibly until as late as departure time. It's also possible that this behavior could be by design: since CPU runs as an occasional "sweep", roughly once a night, rather than being "dynamically waitlisted", it is possible that UA is setting R0 just before the sweep and R9 just after and everything is running as expected.

If your upgrade is coming from a CPU and you don't mind being rude: call in and ask what's up. Sound poorly informed. "Hi, just calling to check on the status of my complimentary elite upgrade … do those still come out of R inventory?" We've heard reports that internal policy requires that agents do not manually CPU you no matter what. But we have also heard reports of agents approving a "one time exception", which seems totally appropriate if there are 9 upgrade seats and fewer than 9 elites whose upgrade windows are open.

Even if you can't get an agent to break the rules, jump the queue, and forcibly CPU you, you can always apply a regional upgrade or a mileage upgrade if you've got a spare (well, until your huge bounty of RPUs runs out).
Old May 30, 2012, 11:34 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I've been watching one of my upcoming flights (now ~T-72), and it's been alternating between R0, R1, and R2 the past several days. I thought it was a case of the "R goes to 0 at the sweep, then opens back up" issue, but the fact that it's also gone from R2 to R1 and back several times today has me scratching my head. I suppose it's just people changing their tickets given that F and A inventory has also fluctuated; given it's currently F2 A2 R2, I'm not exactly hopeful for the CPU to process before the day of travel.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Wow...I thought I was sick of flying

You have been one busy guy since 3/3. Hope it's not killin' ya.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnmont
Wow...I thought I was sick of flying

You have been one busy guy since 3/3. Hope it's not killin' ya.
No 60 this calendar year....probably 35 since 3/3
Old May 30, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
I've been watching one of my upcoming flights (now ~T-72), and it's been alternating between R0, R1, and R2 the past several days. I thought it was a case of the "R goes to 0 at the sweep, then opens back up" issue, but the fact that it's also gone from R2 to R1 and back several times today has me scratching my head. I suppose it's just people changing their tickets given that F and A inventory has also fluctuated; given it's currently F2 A2 R2, I'm not exactly hopeful for the CPU to process before the day of travel.
With F2 I would use a cert as well. I do not pay much attention to the R inventory but the overall F inventory is key. If there are that few seats then a cert would be the way to go.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Hey man,.... I just found this site tonight an have been reading lots and lots of posts about lots and lots of stuff I didn't know... and get this.. I am a UA 1k 1MM flyer... and am just tonight learning about FlyerTalk.. Duh! So I have a question please... how does one track the flights and the classes of seats "R" for upgrade available... where does one specifically look to see that in real time? It seems as if some of you have access to the reservation system? Thank you...
Old May 31, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by 1stClassScotty
Hey man,.... I just found this site tonight an have been reading lots and lots of posts about lots and lots of stuff I didn't know... and get this.. I am a UA 1k 1MM flyer... and am just tonight learning about FlyerTalk.. Duh! So I have a question please... how does one track the flights and the classes of seats "R" for upgrade available... where does one specifically look to see that in real time? It seems as if some of you have access to the reservation system? Thank you...
Welcome to FT! You have a few options. If you are booking a flight, click on the blue "Fare Class" link on the flights result page where you are selecting a flight. If you already have a flight booked, pull up the reservation and you will see the blue "Fare Class" link assuming there is at least 1 seat in coach for sale. You will see R if it is greater than 1. The last option is to purchase a subscription to ExpertFlyer. Those of us that have it think it's worth it's weight in gold. It's less than $10/month and can send you an alert when R opens up (among many other things). If you have more questions feel free to ask!
Old May 31, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
where does one specifically look to see that in real time? It seems as if some of you have access to the reservation system? Thank you...
Search for a flight to make a reservation, and click "fare class" in the far right column.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.