Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Passenger

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Sitting in a CR7 in 2F (first class) during boarding. A pax with a Y BP boards, sees that 2D is empty, asks me if that seat is taken.
And where is the whopper here?
Old May 18, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
-----

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 17, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
I admit whenever I'm wearing full business/dress attire, usually when traveling to/from conferences I get much different looks from both CS and other pass. I'm really just a lowly grad student (not high on the income braket) but all my research is in Asia so I fly a lot of international long hauls and maintain low level status. Over the past five years I have become quite an aviation buff/snobb I admit as well but during most of my trips I tend to dress much more casually and don't get the same treatment.
I'm amazed when I see GS on other PAX BP, and try to picture how that person could be GS. It was like the SATC episode with the Birkin bag when Samantha (who was on a waitlist) called Hermes to complain about a "nobody" she saw on the street walking with a Birkin.

Then again there was the time when F Saver was cheaper than C Standard, so it made sense to buy F Saver awards on 767-300 (new config) for my 2-yr-old and me. That definitely got some looks during boarding.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
Then again there was the time when F Saver was cheaper than C Standard, so it made sense to buy F Saver awards on 767-300 (new config) for my 2-yr-old and me. That definitely got some looks during boarding.
This still happens. A couple weeks ago I was going EUG-SFO for a weekend meeting and booked close in. The route was on a CR7 so it had F, and in fact there were no Y saver awards available on the outbound flight but there were F savers at the same rate as Y standards, so I just booked the F saver. Why anyone would use the same number of miles for a Y versus F seat would baffle me. Of course if there had been Y savers I would have taken them and hoped for E+ at t-24.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MacDanny

When I get to the gate agent he says that his record is "marked". Something to the tune of "likes to tell half truths".
While I don't agree with the doctor this "marking" of records and "grading" of customers is just another example of a strategy that paints the customer as the enemy of the seller of the service. How can that be a healthy strategy?
Old May 18, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Beerman92
While I don't agree with the doctor this "marking" of records and "grading" of customers is just another example of a strategy that paints the customer as the enemy of the seller of the service. How can that be a healthy strategy?
It can be healthy when you have frequent customers who are pathological.

Back in college I worked at a fast food joint near the campus. There was an older guy, apparently faculty or staff, who came by regularly and always ordered the cheapest sandwich on the menu, then requested a bunch of otherwise "free" extra ingredients so that it would have the same contents as a more expensive sandwich. Newbies on the register would ring him up accordingly, while anyone who had been there for more than a month or so would simply tell him to either pay the full price or go get a life. The best comeback I heard from a co-worker was "Buddy, you can't have it your way -- this ain't Burger King!"
Old May 18, 2012, 1:58 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by joejones
It can be healthy when you have frequent customers who are pathological.

Back in college I worked at a fast food joint near the campus. There was an older guy, apparently faculty or staff, who came by regularly and always ordered the cheapest sandwich on the menu, then requested a bunch of otherwise "free" extra ingredients so that it would have the same contents as a more expensive sandwich. Newbies on the register would ring him up accordingly, while anyone who had been there for more than a month or so would simply tell him to either pay the full price or go get a life. The best comeback I heard from a co-worker was "Buddy, you can't have it your way -- this ain't Burger King!"
Back in college I was the one trying to get as much as I could for free from the local burger joint. You are very lucky you have such a vivid memory of one of your customers who was an older guy who did what you said.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Best line I ever heard from a pax (while standing in the F cabin of a 744, during boarding w glass of Champaigne in hand. All pax were boarding thru door 1. A woman gets on holding her 6 or 7 year old daughter, she says to the little girl "Don't forget, if you marry well you'll be sitting here one day" and headed off to Y.
This is sad on so many (well, at least 2) levels.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat
These are from a friend/former roommate who is an E145 First Officer for a UAX carrier...

At a ground load gate, a dumb blonde boards and says, "Oh...my...gawd...whare's the rest of the playane?"

At a ground load gate in DEN, he did his walk around and got back to the air stairs during bording. An idiot asks him if it's a propeller plane. He slowly looks over to the turbojet on the tail, slowly looks back at the idiot, and walks away.

After an aborted landing from windshear, they're able to land on the second attempt but arrive a few minutes late. Some douche sticks his head in the cockpit and says, "Thanks for [...] the landing, now I'm going to miss my connection."

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 18, 2012 at 7:30 am Reason: per policy
Old May 18, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: MYOB
Full flight - Sun night - Long standby list

Passenger: "What do you MEAN you don't find my reservatoin? I HAVE to get on this flight for my grandmother's funeral tomorrow!

Agent: When did you make the reservation sir?

Passenger: Three weeks ago!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.