FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass ( OTP ) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1345572-questions-regarding-united-club-one-time-pass-otp.html)

nwflyboy Mar 6, 2023 10:13 pm

United Club access - only departure/arrival cities (no connections)?

Asking for a friend...

They're traveling in coach on an award ticket, USA-DEN-LHR-BKK. They have one-time United Club passes (they both hold a United card that comes with 2 passes annually). Other than holding United cards, they have no status.

They were hoping to use their one-time free passes to the United Club at their connecting airports (DEN and LHR), but looking over the United Club T&Cs on united dot com, it says this (emphasis mine):

Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or contracted partner operated flights.
That sounds pretty clear: United Club access is only available at their departure point or arrival airport - and there's no access to the United Club during connecting cities. Am I reading that right?

Thanks.

jsloan Mar 6, 2023 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 35067303)
That sounds pretty clear: United Club access is only available at their departure point or arrival airport - and there's no access to the United Club during connecting cities. Am I reading that right?

No -- the United Club would be pretty useless if you couldn't access it during a connection. :) A connecting city along a *A/UA itinerary is also an arrival and departure city for those flights. The verbiage you quoted only really applies to mixed-carrier itineraries. It's probably intended to keep people from buying a cheap refundable ticket to access the club when not flying UA. How well it works in practice, who can say? But both DEN and LHR will allow access if they happen to be accepting one-time passes that day. (LHR, I suspect they will; DEN, YMMV).

nwflyboy Mar 7, 2023 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35067408)
No -- the United Club would be pretty useless if you couldn't access it during a connection. :)

Thank you - and I certainly agree with that bit quoted above - that seemed so odd it was hard to believe, but the way it reads, it sure looked crazy to me.

They will probably not bother with the lounge in DEN, their layover in LHR is longer and they will want to refresh themselves a bit between the two long flights in coach. I was surprised to see that the United Club in LHR has showers (I assumed those were only in Polaris lounges). Hopefully they'll be able to refresh themselves a bit there.

Thanks as always for your helpful insights.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 7, 2023 8:38 am

….That sounds pretty clear: United Club access is only available at their departure point or arrival airport - and there's no access to the United Club during connecting cities. Am I reading that right?….

Your friends have an arrival point at LHR to depart to BKK. In-air plane-to-plane commercial passenger transfers are not a thing yet :).The language pertains to an airport like Honolulu, which is not on their itinerary.

findark Mar 7, 2023 8:39 am

Just to clarify their meaning: you must be departing or arriving that airport on a Star Alliance (or contracted partner) flight. It doesn't need to be the beginning or end of your journey, but you can't access the United Club when flying Delta or to take a meeting when you aren't even flying that day, even if you are a member or otherwise have access (you used to be able to do this, and some people did it often).

jamar Mar 30, 2023 12:43 am

Question- is there any way to find out if a particular location is imposing capacity restrictions (specifically "no credit card one time passes") ahead of actually getting there? I'll be flying NH SEA-HND in a couple of weeks with some acquaintances and while I know I can bring one guest into the UC there with my OZ*G for sure, the other two of us will be using credit card passes, and I'd prefer to avoid an awkward situation happening in advance if possible.

WineCountryUA Mar 30, 2023 1:16 am

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 35128560)
Question- is there any way to find out if a particular location is imposing capacity restrictions (specifically "no credit card one time passes") ahead of actually getting there? ...

No, because during the day, the UC OneTimePass may be imposed just at peak hours and not at off peak. I think in general SEA should not be a problem most of the day. Your *G + 1 would not not be refused.

whiteniao Apr 20, 2023 8:25 am

Can I Still Use One-Time Passes After Downgrading United Explorer Card?

I previously applied for a United Explorer Card and received two United Club one-time passes via email a year later. However, I cannot find the passes in the app or on-line in my account. Later, I downgraded my United Explorer Card.

Can I still use these two United Club one-time passes? Since I cannot find the passes in the app or on-line in my account, only find in my email.

Aussienarelle Apr 20, 2023 9:38 am

When I upgraded to the Quest card my two unused passes disappeared from the app

whiteniao Apr 20, 2023 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 35187040)
When I upgraded to the Quest card my two unused passes disappeared from the app

Although they disappeared in the app, they should still be in the previous email. Have you used these two passes later?

pseudoswede Apr 20, 2023 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by whiteniao (Post 35187975)
Although they disappeared in the app, they should still be in the previous email. Have you used these two passes later?

There is still no concrete proof whether they are valid/invalid if you cancel/product change the card. If you still have the e-mail, please be a guinea pig for us. :)

lincolnjkc Apr 20, 2023 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 35188093)
There is still no concrete proof whether they are valid/invalid if you cancel/product change the card. If you still have the e-mail, please be a guinea pig for us. :)

In theory, from what I understand, a Premium Services agent (e.g. an agent working in a club among others) should be able to get pass info from Customer360 -- including issued/unused, issued/used, and presumably issued/withdrawn/revoked.

whiteniao Apr 22, 2023 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 35188739)
In theory, from what I understand, a Premium Services agent (e.g. an agent working in a club among others) should be able to get pass info from Customer360 -- including issued/unused, issued/used, and presumably issued/withdrawn/revoked.

So you mean I can call to check if the pass is valid? Or do I have to go to the United Club?

Okay, maybe I can go and try it out.

Ari Apr 23, 2023 8:23 am

Originally Posted by whiteniao (Post 35193735)
So you mean I can call to check if the pass is valid? Or do I have to go to the United Club?

Okay, maybe I can go and try it out.

If it is visible in your account, it is most likely valid.

marlin May 9, 2023 11:44 am

I am flying from Philadelphia to London Heathrow on AA and connecting to Europe on BA. My layover is all day-can I use the United Club lounge using my passes
from the Mileage Plus credit card? Thank you!