Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With new ANA Sea-Nrt, is there risk that UA will go away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond

Just had a great flight on united from Seattle to Narita. This is one of the easiest TPAC flights. Just read that ANA will start flying the route using a 787. Since they are in the same alliance and Sea is really not a hub, should I be worried that this flight will disappear. Maybe just paranoid.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Mild paranoia. If loads and Cargo are high enough both will continue. UA does it for a reason and NH feels there is enough traffic on either or both (passengers & cargo) to warrant two flights/day. Not sure if they profit share on this route like some other routes. Neither airline is in the business of taking on foolish routes..and don't want to compete directly within the alliance when traffic is limited.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
What does it matter? Most, if not all, ANA (NH) fare classes on TransPac flights earn 100% miles and PQM in UA's program. Also, who wouldn't want to fly a 787 instead of an "old" 777?

UA continues to fly the old, non-reconfigured 777 SEA-NRT. It's the shortest TransPac flight so I'm sure it will be the last to be updated.

I'll take NH over UA if given the choice and NH really does fly the 787. Otherwise it's UA -- or unless I'm trying to use an SWU.

-RM
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
NH will be using the 777 on this route until a 787 "becomes available" - translation, easily the rest of 2012 and maybe into 2013 before a 787 is on this route on a regular basis.

Having said that, I think most of us would jump at the chance to take a NH 777 with an available Premium Economy cabin over the old, ratty UA 777 that continues to fly this route.

Once BR enters *A, you have a nonstop to Taipei...and ANA will give you a nonstop to NRT (with multiple connection options from there). A short hop north to YVR offers the best coach cabin and J seat pricing to HKG, PVG and PEK on Air Canada.

Unless you are just flying between SEA and NRT and really want to fly UA for some reason, there is no reason to take that flight...better options abound.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
i thought UA ran this as a condition for getting microsoft and boeing biz
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
kiss this route goodbye...

any "premium" traffic will go to ANA, and that is the end for UA. What would you like to fly? New 787 or old config UA 772. Whose onboard service would you like to experience? Whose Coffee and wine would you like to drink?

UA can't compete other than with their mileage program, and that has been gutted, so other than using a SWU, no reason to fly UA as you can get the miles credited to a UA account.

my guess is that this has nothing to do with UA, rather Seattle is a big draw for japanese tourists and JAL does not service it. They probably see it as a good fit size wise for the 787 and the decision has little to do with UA. They do compete, and have to by law.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
I've heard ("heard" in quotes being the operative word) that UA's SEA-NRT service is one of their highest-yield routes. Too soon to tell if that will remain the case...though SEA is a good "focus city" for UA on most routes flown.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
It's toast

I can just smell it. This is the only route to get SWUs these days so I don't see how the yields are so high. I will be going NRT-BKK shortly and I know there is zero chance of an op-up and this will be the case from SEA-NRT which does not thrill me.

OK I have zero facts to go on here. Just 30 years of knowing and living both UA and CO and it just has the feel of going away - and sure as heck if there is an economic downturn, mini 911 or whatever then for sure it is toast - within weeks.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
DOOM

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
I can just smell it. This is the only route to get SWUs these days so I don't see how the yields are so high. I will be going NRT-BKK shortly and I know there is zero chance of an op-up and this will be the case from SEA-NRT which does not thrill me.

OK I have zero facts to go on here. Just 30 years of knowing and living both UA and CO and it just has the feel of going away - and sure as heck if there is an economic downturn, mini 911 or whatever then for sure it is toast - within weeks.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Agreed - not good news. Even though it is an old 777, it is the only TPAC route that is consistently upgradeable with SWUs.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:25 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

More likely it will end due to the ATI UA has with NH. No point having for UA to fly a non-hub long haul when the route is "metal neutral".

Enjoy this flight while it lasts.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by convert
Just had a great flight on united from Seattle to Narita. This is one of the easiest TPAC flights. Just read that ANA will start flying the route using a 787. Since they are in the same alliance and Sea is really not a hub, should I be worried that this flight will disappear. Maybe just paranoid.
SEA may not be a hub but NRT is so I would think this will continue, especially if, as other posters have stated, this is a high yield route with contracts from Boeing and Microsoft.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
I've heard ("heard" in quotes being the operative word) that UA's SEA-NRT service is one of their highest-yield routes. Too soon to tell if that will remain the case...though SEA is a good "focus city" for UA on most routes flown.
While possible it is hard to imagine ... the route is the easiest one to upgrade in the entire system and very often features empty premium seats. I have been on rides with 3 people sitting in F .. but that could be bad sampling of course.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
1. NH and UA compete on NRT<>ORD and NRT<>IAD already.

2. The flight is almost always full in the back.

3. Good route for Saver F.

4. UA probably doesn't want to cede traffic to DL on this route.

5. UA will probably lose a fair amount of ORD<>NRT traffic because of the JAL non-stop to Boston.

6. Don't yet know what kind of J seats NH is putting in the 787.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
UA and NH also compete on NRT-LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.