Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With new ANA Sea-Nrt, is there risk that UA will go away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With new ANA Sea-Nrt, is there risk that UA will go away?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Unless you are just flying between SEA and NRT and really want to fly UA for some reason, there is no reason to take that flight...better options abound.
You could say this for any route on which UA competes with (or semi-competes with, as in the revenue-sharing cases) other Star Alliance routes. The only reasons to fly United are to use a SWU or other very tenuous Mileage Plus reasons (e.g., getting toward million-mile status).

Since UA doesn't have much of a hub in SEA, there would seem to be a stronger reason, I guess, to keep the flight as opposed to leveraging NH to at least fly feeder passengers onto the flight since there aren't many. There must be enough O&D premium traffic to keep the route viable for UA.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 110pgl
That is the most important point made here. This agreement actually is an encouragement for UA to stop the SEA-NRT flight. They closed the first class lounge in Seattle about 5 years ago. Also, old UA has shrunk operations significantly in Seattle; they used to have two IAD and two ORD redeyes + almost hourly flights to SFO and LAX. Even with the added CO flights, they are not what they used to be. Many of can remember old UA "owning" the N concourse. Now they are maybe 1/2.
Unless O+D traffic has shrunk considerably, this is not going to work with just one daily ANA flight on their 787 which is only about 50% Y seating (albeit leaps and bounds more comfortable than UA's 787)....there won't be enough seats to meet demand unless ANA drops the 787 in favor of a 777 which would be a tragic change.

I guess UA could swap a 763 on this route to balance with ANA 787's and right-size for the demand if it really has dropped (I've not checked any data so I don't have the actual numbers).
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Interesting

UA875, UA876, SEA-NRT-SEA is not running several days in November and December. It's gone during Thanksgiving week and the time during Christmas and New Year's.

I know that these periods are slow, but I guess UA is surrendering SEA-NRT services to NH and DL.

On the other hand, I noticed that UA852/UA853 is no longer seasonal! And, its been upgraded to a 744! That's dual 744's on SFO-NRT-SFO.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warreng24
Interesting

UA875, UA876, SEA-NRT-SEA is not running several days in November and December. It's gone during Thanksgiving week and the time during Christmas and New Year's.

I know that these periods are slow, but I guess UA is surrendering SEA-NRT services to NH and DL.
Same goes for ORD/EWR-HKG and vv...letting CX take the load
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:13 pm

I wish they would up the capacity on the direct IAH-NRT. That flight is consistently one of the most expensive business class flights anywhere, any airline. That's specifically why they probably won't do anything about it though, although if I was ANA or JAL I'd consider running a 787 to capture some of that margin.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
UA started pulling down NRT-US capacity dramatically during the holidays last year.. I'm not sure I'd read too much into this. IIRC they were down to two or three departures on Christmas day last year out of the usual 12 or so flights...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
I also had a recent Saturday flight and it was very full. Upgrade not available. Maybe the loads are better than I feared.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Interesting

On the other hand, I noticed that UA852/UA853 is no longer seasonal! And, its been upgraded to a 744! That's dual 744's on SFO-NRT-SFO.
Originally Posted by hamburgler
UA started pulling down NRT-US capacity dramatically during the holidays last year.. I'm not sure I'd read too much into this. IIRC they were down to two or three departures on Christmas day last year out of the usual 12 or so flights...
If I am not mistaken, this was CO SOP prior to the merger, so I would not be surprised that it carried over to new UA.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Back to the original thread topic, I have always seen a lot of paid Business traffic on SEA-NRT from SEA corporate folks. I am guessing if UA has a significant contract for the route then it will continue. Since there are sUA International FA's based in SEA and this is the only Intl flight I would not expect it to switch to a smaller sCO 787 anytime soon.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
IAD

They both fly the IAD-NRT route and actually take off 5mins apart. Sure SEA isnt a hub but most of it comes down to demand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.