Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With new ANA Sea-Nrt, is there risk that UA will go away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With new ANA Sea-Nrt, is there risk that UA will go away?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
And to a lesser (and now much lesser) degree on NRT-SIN .
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Back in the old days NW and KLM would take turns operating EWR-AMS: usually NW metal for 6 months (summer) and then KLM metal for 6 months (winter.)

While UA and NH ‘compete’ they are also in an alliance which code sharing allows airlines to collect revenue without operating the flight, and the flyer to collect FF miles on the alliance partner of their choice.

If the passenger volumes justify 2x daily both UA and NH can both run their metal (at least seasonally) or otherwise they can take turns operating the route.

SunLover
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by 5khours
1. NH and UA compete on NRT<>ORD and NRT<>IAD already.
Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
UA and NH also compete on NRT-LAX.
No, actually, they don't compete on NRT-ORD/IAD/LAX. They have anti-trust immunity and a joint venture that means that they actually share costs and revenues on those routes.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
UA and NH also compete on NRT-LAX.
And SFO-NRT-SFO

And, though to a less degree, NRT-NYC (EWR/JFK)

Originally Posted by 5khours
6. Don't yet know what kind of J seats NH is putting in the 787.
Aren't they the Business Staggered? They're fantastic.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
LAX, IAD, ORD and NYC are much larger market catchments - plenty of business to support multiple airlines. SEA is a much smaller catchment - the support for 3 airlines serving this route would be based on how much outbound connecting traffic runs from SEA through NRT. I don't have the data, so I can't answer this question.

Product-wise, *A customers would be better off with the ANA 777/787 or connecting in YVR on AC unless UA decides to move this route to an updated PMUA 777 or the PMCO 777 - they might not have a choice if their premium traffic moves to ANA.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
This comes from the UC lounge agent, so take it for what its worth:
through 2013 UA will use both B and N gates (pmCO and pmUA gates) but in 2013 they will consolidate in A, with 8 gates and two lounges: one UC and other IFL.

Now if that's correct/remains the case I'd say the flight is safe as the only reason to have an IFL is SEA-NRT.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Product-wise, *A customers would be better off with the ANA 777/787 or connecting in YVR on AC unless UA decides to move this route to an updated PMUA 777 or the PMCO 777 - they might not have a choice if their premium traffic moves to ANA.
Or if ANA siphons off the premium yield leaving UA's subpar as the clear inferior choice, withdrawal becomes more likely. Look at how much UAs drawn down SEA over the past 5-10 years; a lot of those wiped-out flights were profitable too at one point.

Originally Posted by ryan182
through 2013 UA will use both B and N gates (pmCO and pmUA gates) but in 2013 they will consolidate in A, with 8 gates and two lounges: one UC and other IFL.

Now if that's correct/remains the case I'd say the flight is safe as the only reason to have an IFL is SEA-NRT.
A lot can change in a year, especially with lounge planning. Down at the end of A Concourse both AA and DL built beautiful lounges one flight up. Very expensive investments. Both closed within months owing to egregious rent-hike demands from the Port of Seattle and/or relocation to other gates. Those spaces remain empty to this day AFAIK.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Hard to say what will happen... ANA could possibly pull out too after they test the waters. This would be a good route for UA to downsize capacity to a 787 themselves. A 767 could also make the journey but as of now UA doesn't use any 767's on TPACs.

Also, FYI, this route has the new seats on the 777 as well... not every day, but often.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Doesn't LH fly out of SEA? Even without UA long hauls, LH and NH are enough to justify a star alliance F lounge.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Originally Posted by mre5765
Doesn't LH fly out of SEA? Even without UA long hauls, LH and NH are enough to justify a star alliance F lounge.
LH does have a daily flight SEA-FRA. Lounge service for LH pax is currently contracted out to the BA lounge.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

The A gate consolidation is known...but what is unknown is their plan to assume both the current AA and DL lounges, or just take the DL lounge and make it into a standard-issue UC.

With only 1 int'l flight on UA metal, a IFL makes little sense. A *A Lounge would make more sense if they consolidated UA/NH/AC/LH on the A pier.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
LH does have a daily flight SEA-FRA. Lounge service for LH pax is currently contracted out to the BA lounge.
Wow. BA and LH don't seem to understand the concept of competition. Whether it is contracting out lounges or selling subsidiaries.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
The route is toast IMO. What about moving the frame down to restart PDX-NRT?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The A gate consolidation is known...but what is unknown is their plan to assume both the current AA and DL lounges, or just take the DL lounge and make it into a standard-issue UC.

With only 1 int'l flight on UA metal, a IFL makes little sense. A *A Lounge would make more sense if they consolidated UA/NH/AC/LH on the A pier.
I should have added that, he did mention that other *A were going to be in A as well, not sure if all of them though, he did mention the plan was to assume both the AA and DL lounges so perhaps they will do something like LHR and have a *A lounge.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Well, i realky hope thus flight stays. I think they are transitioning quickly over to the updated cabin. When i just flew, the cabin looked pretty new. I believe this was one of united's first tpac flights - not that it would make any difference.

I would flight this flight even more often, except for some reason, this flight is almost always more expensive then connecting through sfo. Maybe that is a good sign of demand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.