Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1k
I have a question about this interlining -- what if I don't want to interline the bag from UA to Hawaiian -- can I ask at the checkin desk not to interline them, and that I want to pick them up in Honolulu (for example to repack, or drop off some items for a friend I'll meet at the airport)?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by augias84
I have a question about this interlining -- what if I don't want to interline the bag from UA to Hawaiian -- can I ask at the checkin desk not to interline them, and that I want to pick them up in Honolulu (for example to repack, or drop off some items for a friend I'll meet at the airport)?
Generally, not if your flights are on a single ticket. You can ask, but plan to carry on anything that you need to have with you in Honolulu.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by augias84
also good luck with Hawaiian they tend to be very strict on baggage and once they have to handle all kinds of fees pop up that UA would typically waive
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jp12687
also good luck with Hawaiian they tend to be very strict on baggage and once they have to handle all kinds of fees pop up that UA would typically waive
Well, UA states bag fee waivers occur only at United counters. Hawaiian is not Star Alliance, so no fee waiver there, either. Hawaiian is allowed to collect no more than the normal UA bag fees on the type of ticket I suspect OP holds. Nothing nefarious.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I'm traveling OGG-EWR on reward as 1k. OGG-HNL is HA in coach, HNL-EWR is first.

My receipt says first bag is $30, which would mean I'm being charged HA baggage fee to N.America? Shouldn't it just be the neighbor island fee?

May need to see if I can status match to avoid those fees, traveling with a family of 4. We'll surely have, at least, 3 checked bags.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nottarockstar
I'm traveling OGG-EWR on reward as 1k. OGG-HNL is HA in coach, HNL-EWR is first.

My receipt says first bag is $30, which would mean I'm being charged HA baggage fee to N.America? Shouldn't it just be the neighbor island fee?

May need to see if I can status match to avoid those fees, traveling with a family of 4. We'll surely have, at least, 3 checked bags.
Your bag is not going just to HNL - HA is checking to EWR, not HNL. That being said, you should be charged (assuming you got to Hawaii from EWR on UA) UA's normal first bag fee, if one due. HA does not give waivers for UA or *A status. You might ask at counter for fee waiver since you're in First HNL-EWR. Not sure if it works - maybe someone else knows. If wholly United itinerary, an initial coach leg would get F allowance if another leg is F. Not sure how it works w/ HA first leg.

Hawaiian will not status match you.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 3, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nottarockstar

HA will charge you the most possible since you're on an economy reward ticket. Your second segment class and United status have no impact . And because HA isn't a Star Alliance partner, you also won't get a priority tag on your bag.

You can always inquire about buy-ups to F but the F cabin is more and more full these days. In some cases, buying up into a F fare or simply buying an F ticket is cheaper than bag fees, especially with a lot of bags, and gets you into their lounge at HNL. It's no UA club, but there's self service fruit juice and soda and snack mix, good WiFi, and comfortable seating that the gates lack.

On another note, I've had recent good experience with HA interlining UA bags on a separate ticket lately, although I'm doing so as a HA F passenger. They even interlined on a recent international flight for me out of HNL. And I also bring UA bag tag flags with me that they're happy to put in too in addition to their own connecting flag and first class flag.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Your bag is not going just to HNL - HA is checking to EWR, not HNL. That being said, you should be charged (assuming you got to Hawaii from EWR on UA) UA's normal first bag fee, if one due. HA does not give waivers for UA or *A status. You might ask at counter for fee waiver since you're in First HNL-EWR. Not sure if it works - maybe someone else knows. If wholly United itinerary, an initial coach leg would get F allowance if another leg is F. Not sure how it works w/ HA first leg.
I flew LNY-HNL-IAD the other day with the first leg HA operated by Ohana (every seat is first class ) and the second on UA in First. Was charged baggage fees and I did ask whether they could be waived since I was in First on the second flight. At LNY I also saw a carry-on rejected for being 26lbs - one pound over weight. The bag owner had to repack a bit. HA is usually quite strict in enforcing their rules.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
When flying IAH HNL LIH do we need to recheck or see our bags in HNL if booked on the same united ticket?
thanks
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
When flying IAH HNL LIH do we need to recheck or see our bags in HNL if booked on the same united ticket?
thanks
No. If all on one ticket, UA will check thru to Lihue. You do not need to exit secure area. 15 minute stroll to Hawaiian gates or take the annoying airside shuttle (Wiki Wiki) bus.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
OGG-HNL-Japan, single ticket, with Hawaiian check-in, gets 2 50lb bags free at OGG.
Would you please refer me to the official policy of the above quote, that I may share with Hawaiian or my credit card company?
3 previous international trips, all: OGG - HNL - then either ICN or NRT - SGN. Flights marketed as Korean, Asiana, JAL. Always on one pnr, direct connections (no stopovers) never had baggage fee. Last trip (July 2019) marketed as UA7863, UA903, UA7973. Regular economy UA ticket purchase: no elite, no award, no credit card benefits involved. Surprised when OGG check-in clerk charged $60.00 ($25.00 + $35.00) not over weight/sized bags. said it was a "service charge" to transfer bags to UA and that she was tagging bags to SGN (final destination - as if she was doing a favor!). No time for discussion when asked about international baggage allowance, and first flight number was not indicated as "HA" or "HA*" (info from HA web page). Never had a fee with the previous marketed trips. Was expecting the same answer IAH-OIL-TRASH gave in post 239 Sept. 2, 2017 above. Was this fee correct? Why? What is different now, compared to the previous trips? Or, was this HA clerk mistaken and I should dispute this charge on my credit card?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rojored
Would you please refer me to the official policy of the above quote, that I may share with Hawaiian or my credit card company?
3 previous international trips, all: OGG - HNL - then either ICN or NRT - SGN. Flights marketed as Korean, Asiana, JAL. Always on one pnr, direct connections (no stopovers) never had baggage fee. Last trip (July 2019) marketed as UA7863, UA903, UA7973. Regular economy UA ticket purchase: no elite, no award, no credit card benefits involved. Surprised when OGG check-in clerk charged $60.00 ($25.00 + $35.00) not over weight/sized bags. said it was a "service charge" to transfer bags to UA and that she was tagging bags to SGN (final destination - as if she was doing a favor!). No time for discussion when asked about international baggage allowance, and first flight number was not indicated as "HA" or "HA*" (info from HA web page). Never had a fee with the previous marketed trips. Was expecting the same answer IAH-OIL-TRASH gave in post 239 Sept. 2, 2017 above. Was this fee correct? Why? What is different now, compared to the previous trips? Or, was this HA clerk mistaken and I should dispute this charge on my credit card?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Assuming that this was either the outbound of a round-trip or a one-way itinerary, per DOT policy, UA's baggage allowance should apply. What was printed on your receipt?

Per the UA baggage calculator, you should have gotten two free bags at 50 lbs each on that itinerary.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Assuming that this was either the outbound of a round-trip or a one-way itinerary, per DOT policy, UA's baggage allowance should apply. What was printed on your receipt?

Per the UA baggage calculator, you should have gotten two free bags at 50 lbs each on that itinerary.
You need to follow the rules and fees of the carrier of the first flight. Regardless of the UA codeshare flight number, you started with a Hawaiian airlines segment and were subject to Hawaiian rules

If you flew in a HA international ticket, and the first segment was HA, you'd get HAs international bag pricing
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:11 pm

This is one of those interesting points that I wonder if it’s worth holding UA accountable.

i routinely fly LIH-HNL-EWR on miles. The first leg is Hawaiian and they always charge me bags.

even though my receipt from UA says I get 2 free bags on the route up to 70lbs

hawiian says they charge based on the originating carrier (them) vs what United might offer you.

is that a violation of DOT rules since united shows it as free bags but o get charged?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687

i routinely fly LIH-HNL-EWR on miles. The first leg is Hawaiian and they always charge me bags.

Very standard and correct
When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.
HA does not and will not recognize UA's elite benefits.

UA does state on the receipt, those benefits only apply when checking in with UA.

And if in first on the UA flight, but economy on HA -- on a one-way ticket, HA can use the HA economy allowance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2020 at 9:26 pm Reason: repaired

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.