Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Forget splitting PNRs at T-24, wife and I were split a month ago for a trip next July. When I asked why I got some mumbo jumbo about upgrade status... we are both PM Silver. We are both upgraded already on the outbound trip, we are both supposedly sitting together both ways but for the last two weeks the outbound (EWR-LAS) seat map has been unavailable. Oh well, it is likely our last flight on UA for a long long time...EWR to LHR in two weeks then EWR to LAS, both booked back in 2011.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

This really makes sdc a pain...I got the 24-hr upgrade and split while my silver gets on the UG list. Anyway, we booked under my name (1k) simply to avoid the sdc fees, and we ended up paying $75 anyway for the silver. Frustrating.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: CO Platinum, too many hotel chain and car rental programs to list
Originally Posted by Biff98
Due to the recent lack of travel requirements by my company and no personal travel (since Dec) due to the preparation for and birth of our new son!

I was kind of missing it, but honestly it seems like all this merger stuff has gone about as well as the launch of Crystal Pepsi. So maybe not having to deal with COUA or whatever we're calling it nowadays has been a privilege?

ANYWAY, I'd like to ask your advice on two things in the context of keeping the family seated TOGETHER.

1. We've got a flight scheduled DEN-DTW in mid-June. We're both on the same PNR. Equipment in CRJ-700. I'm 1P and my wife is GM. The baby will travel on our lap. Best advice to prevent a UDU for me?

2. We're traveling to SOF in August. Baby has an infant ticket (for int'l travel) attached to my rev ticket. Legs are DEN-IAD-MUC-SOF and back the same routing. My wife is on an award ticket. So our PNR's are actually already "split". Any advice on this situation?
1. Whether you check-in online or at the kiosk or both, make sure that there are no boxes checked for automatic check-in, upgrade standby lists, maximizing upgrade chances, etc whenever you click a "next" button. If you check-in with a real person at the airport clearly state to them you and your wife do not want to be separated for any reason including upgrades (has worked for me in a case where I probably would have been upgraded and fiance with fear of flying wouldn't have been upgraded).

2. Go to the "Manage Reservations" page on united.com once logged in and see if it will let you add your wife's reservation or your reservation if logged in as her by entering confirmation number and last name. If it appears in the list above then check the combine boxes and click "combine". Never tried this so not sure if it will work. Might be better off calling reservations on this one.

Originally Posted by TheStoicPaisano
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

This really makes sdc a pain...I got the 24-hr upgrade and split while my silver gets on the UG list. Anyway, we booked under my name (1k) simply to avoid the sdc fees, and we ended up paying $75 anyway for the silver. Frustrating.
Also frustrating, when travelling with a colleague who doesn't have UA status, PNR was split and then there was a plane change within 24 hours of departure. We had been in the exit row, but were re-assigned random middle seats. Couldn't put my colleague in the exit row due to him no longer attached to my status. Spent 30 minutes on the phone with the elite line to get both of us seats in the exit row.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 26, 2012 at 9:15 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Biff98
I was kind of missing it, but honestly it seems like all this merger stuff has gone about as well as the launch of Crystal Pepsi.
WHOA dude. Knock United all you want, but Crystal Pepsi was the stuff. I find it so hard to believe we no longer have it, yet Tab persists.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
I am sponsoring my brother and his wife (both no status) with an RPU, and it doesn't look like the upgrade is going to clear in advance (it's EWR-LAX, so our hopes for the upgrade were not very high to begin with, given the route).

Does anyone know if their PNR will split at OLCI if the upgrade request is not CPU but is through a sponsored instrument?

They are not used to the upgrade lottery and so I want to tell them about the possibility of the split (and their having to tell the gate not to upgrade just one of them, since they want to stay together), or maybe tell them to uncheck the mysterious "do you want to maximize your chances for an upgrade" button during OLCI. Not sure how it plays out at this point.

Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:50 pm

Tried to check in online for a flight with an international leg (memo to file: can't be done).

PNR was split for the whole trip. Would that have happened had we checked in at the airport? Will that create any problems during my trip? My wife and I are both 1Ps and we put in for an upgrade to business with miles, only one of which cleared. I called the MP line and apparently on her ticket there is a reference to deduct any miles from my account.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TheStoicPaisano

Indeed, I finally got a phone agent to do the SDC for all of my split companions for free, but it took multiple phone calls to get it done.

In the PMCO days split passengers retained the benefits of the elite member after splitting. Now it's become a fight at the airport every time just to get the baggage benefit honored for split companions.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 767400
So just to confirm what I have been reading here:

If I am traveling with my wife and daughter that have no status I should not have to worry about the split since there are 3 on the same PNR correct?

This is a reward ticket booked in Dec 2011.
According to UAInsider's response (see below), you should not be split if you have a party greater than 2 AND you do not click anyone as a designated travel companion. Good luck!

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi petesamprs, at any point in time, you can call Reservations and they can add an indicator that designates you do not want to be upgraded (albeit, our call volumes are still higher than normal). That said, in this scenario, the system that processes upgrades in advance would skip your reservation anyway since you are a party greater than 2. Once you check in, it will ask you who you want to designate as your companion. If you select someone, you and that person would be split from the others in your party. If you don’t want to designate anyone, you will all stay together. For now, I’d also recommend that you opt-out of auto-return check-in when prompted.

Shannon
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AM Gold
Upgraded without PNR split

I got a T-24 automatic upgrade notification on LAX-MEX UA274 (A319 so only 8 seats) a few days ago, e-mail and everything. I checked in online and found both pax on the reservation upgraded to R. Everything went really smoothly! Of course the system had been unable to accomodate seats together.

I was really happy to see this, and hopeful.

I'm 1K and my companion is Gold and I'm wondering if the fact that this happened at T-24 instead of earlier is because we were both lowered to her status?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Update on my split issues outbound flight to OGG from SFO: I was upgrade T24 and she was not, at the airport there were about 20 names of passengers with higher status than hers waiting to upgrade. Once everyone boarded, her name was called and she too was then upgraded, though we did not get to sit with each other.

Upon the return, I was upgraded T72 hrs and she was stuck in Econ+, as all upgrades to first were full .. Overall it seems now that with the new upgrade system you decline it and sit together economy or one of you upgrade it and leave your companion behind in economy alone....united is totally shafting us with this companion upgrade using the néw system splitting passengers up and placing them on upgrade list separately by status and not together as before merger....

I'm sure they here it enough from passengers like us here on this topic, however, they have much to gain from our loss not getting companions upgraded together so I doubt they will change anything anytime soon
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Impacts of PNR Splits on Million Miler Companions post 3/3

Can any 1MM - 4MM members comment if these PNR splits are affecting you and your +1 as well? Do your PNRs split as well? If so, does your companion follow your seat assignment?

David
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Traveling with my wife from IND-EWR on 4/19, EWR-IND on 4/22...

Not upgraded prior to checkin. Chose to split PNRs to get on airport upgrade standby list. Both of us appeared next to each other on the list, but not high enough to get upgraded. Both boarding passes printed with Premier Access and boarding group 3.

Frustration was on return trip... ERJ145, so upgrades not an issue. Checked in at kiosk in EWR. My boarding pass printed with Premier Access and group 3; my wife's also had Premier Access but group 8.

I had to argue back and forth with the gate agent in order for my wife to be able to board with me in group 3. The agent wanted her to wait until group 8 was called. Ridiculous!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
How do you even find the PNR for the split off reservation. I was managing a trip for my wife and a friend who were together but their reservation split on the outbound checkin for the upgrade list. (Luckily their return upgrade got cleared first.) Now I can't find the friend's half of the reservation.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
How do you even find the PNR for the split off reservation. I was managing a trip for my wife and a friend who were together but their reservation split on the outbound checkin for the upgrade list. (Luckily their return upgrade got cleared first.) Now I can't find the friend's half of the reservation.
It's a big PITA - have to log in from the other pax' account. Either that, or call up UA to find it.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by JonIND
Frustration was on return trip... ERJ145, so upgrades not an issue. Checked in at kiosk in EWR. My boarding pass printed with Premier Access and group 3; my wife's also had Premier Access but group 8.

I had to argue back and forth with the gate agent in order for my wife to be able to board with me in group 3. The agent wanted her to wait until group 8 was called. Ridiculous!

That is just odd... I have never had any issues having any other people board with me early when I tell the GA they are with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.