Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: AS
What happened here? Flying UAL with Aeroplan booking

4 of us flew using Aeroplan points on a leg that was using AC, then connecting to UAL. When I booked the rewards months ago, I was able to select seats (or so I thought) so that all 4 of us were together in a row.

At t minus 24hrs, I had tried to change our seats for the AC flight primarily because it was a very empty flight and I could see there were empty rows. The system would not let me do it, stating that I needed to do thru Aeroplan, so I didn’t call as in the end I was satisfied that the seat selections for both flights were good.

Fast forward to when we boarded the UAL flight (and here is when I made a rookie mistake of not checking our UAL portion of our tickets) and all 4 of us were split and placed into the middle seats, in various rows. My child is 2 and I was the only parent in our group, so I started to panic. And of course, the plane was 99% full.

With some debating and assistance of some helpful single passengers, I was able to sit beside my child, but it was a hectic, stressful experience I never want to go thru again.

What concerns me though, is that the gate agent told me (when attempting to fix the problem) that since our seats were booked by a third party and the plane was full, any United purchasers bump or shift others out of their seats. Does anyone know why this happens or can confirm this is policy? If so, I am not sure I want to fly UAL with a group ever again.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kyden
What concerns me though, is that the gate agent told me (when attempting to fix the problem) that since our seats were booked by a third party and the plane was full, any United purchasers bump or shift others out of their seats. Does anyone know why this happens or can confirm this is policy? If so, I am not sure I want to fly UAL with a group ever again.
This is simply not true, at least in my experience.

I fly United using Aeroplan-issued tickets often and have never lost a reserved seat.

What is more likely is that there was a schedule change, re-issue, or some unforeseen glitch that kicked you out of your seats. I doubt it was malicious or deliberate.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
While United considers your seating requests, they are in no way bound to them, and may change them at any time based on their priorities. AFAIK this is the case at substantially all carriers.

Also there's a long running issue with their PSS changing seats with little apparent reason.
From the premerger Continental days: Random Seat Change in F Reservation and Check Your Future Seat Assignments
And now that United is using the same ex-Continental system: Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE] and Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
This is simply not true, at least in my experience.

I fly United using Aeroplan-issued tickets often and have never lost a reserved seat.

What is more likely is that there was a schedule change, re-issue, or some unforeseen glitch that kicked you out of your seats. I doubt it was malicious or deliberate.
It wasn't a schedule change, nor an aircraft swap.

Originally Posted by mduell
While United considers your seating requests, they are in no way bound to them, and may change them at any time based on their priorities. AFAIK this is the case at substantially all carriers.

Also there's a long running issue with their PSS changing seats with little apparent reason.
From the premerger Continental days: Random Seat Change in F Reservation and Check Your Future Seat Assignments
And now that United is using the same ex-Continental system: Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE] and Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]
I am very surprised that they would move all 4 of us from our original seats (not one was seated where I had selected) to accommodate single travelers. I have my document with my seat confirmations from booking in May, so I am going to contact them to see what their explanation for this was. If it's a long running issue I actually feel a little better because I'm not the only one, but I want to add another statistic to their pile. Thanks for the links above.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 20, 2018 at 10:51 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kyden
It wasn't a schedule change, nor an aircraft swap. .....
You'll have to consult the flight history to be sure, but there are changes that may not be immediately visible to you. (You can research this via websites flightstats, flightaware, ...)

But as others have mentioned there is no disadvantage of having been booked via AeroPlan miles.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’ll give UA some credit as they have done well over the years. UA agents have proactively kept my family together despite being on separate reservations, however, my cousin swears UA intentionally splits her and spouse every trip. I don’t know what the truth is, but actively reviewing my flights almost daily is the norm for me, and on the rare occasion I see something change, a quick call to UA fixes things.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’ll give UA some credit as they have done well over the years. UA agents have proactively kept my family together despite being on separate reservations, however, my cousin swears UA intentionally splits her and spouse every trip. I don’t know what the truth is, but actively reviewing my flights almost daily is the norm for me, and on the rare occasion I see something change, a quick call to UA fixes things.
I also babysit my reservations. But I don't call United if my seat changes. I just go in the website and change the seat back to a better seat myself.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
My fourth seat change this year! I had 2A on ORD-DCA operated by a Republic E170, wake up to a text that my seat was changed due to an aircraft swap, but it's still operated by an E170! Thankfully I was swapped to 2C which is my second favorite seat on this plane.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I also babysit my reservations. But I don't call United if my seat changes. I just go in the website and change the seat back to a better seat myself.
That only works if there is a better seat available. Close in, its often not the case. Inventory goes quick.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gmt4
That only works if there is a better seat available. Close in, its often not the case. Inventory goes quick.
Because you think that calling will change the outcome? I was saying that there's no need to call to change the seat. It can be done on the website. Naturally, as you point out, sometimes there are no seats left. Had happened, made me unhappy but I don't take it personally since it's a computer thing. Then, there's still the option of continuing the babysitting of the seat map for if someone more important than me gets an upgrade and vacates a real good seat.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Because you think that calling will change the outcome? I was saying that there's no need to call to change the seat. It can be done on the website. Naturally, as you point out, sometimes there are no seats left. Had happened, made me unhappy but I don't take it personally since it's a computer thing. Then, there's still the option of continuing the babysitting of the seat map for if someone more important than me gets an upgrade and vacates a real good seat.
I never said calling will change the outcome. But odds are if your seat got swiped from you then its happened in a way or at a time you won't likely be able to get something better. Close in? Forget about it. I had it happen to me and I've never gotten a better seat, just something equal or worse. Most recently it was on a AA flight two weeks ago ORD-DFW after a bad weather day at ORD. Day prior I checked the app and Had no F seat assigned. Had an F seat booked for months (paid fare). Re-selcted a seat at online checkin but got a fail message saying seats couldn't be assigned. Shuffling behind the scenes, overbooked, might have been an equipment change, who knows, (though it was still a same config A320). I figured I was screwed, and it proved to be true. Long story short I ended up in MCE and at least two people ended up clearing upgrades somehow. Who knows what the glitch was. I griped to AA and they didn't seem to care much because I got to my destination. I do however still need to pursue a partial refund for the downgrade in fare.

Anyway, I took a long path to get here but my point is that hovering over an app likely won't change the outcome when unknown forces completely outside of your control are working against you. Close in your odds likely get even worse.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Using the privalage of including someone in E+ has required a call, by myself, website or app works fine.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
My mother was flying 6/17 ORD-AMS on a 763 V2. She had 21K as of a month ago. Did not pay attention to her seat until she boarded and noticed her seat was 23L. Went from an E+ Exit Aisle to a E- Window. My dad's seat (22L) remained unchanged. Mom is Gold, Dad has no status on the same PNR.

I could not see any obvious reason from the flight status page. I know they've been swapping between V2 and V3 so perhaps that caused a glitch. I'm curious if there's any other resources to check for the reason. Though I think my Mom doesn't care much about the reason and has probably shifted focus to compensation. I guess I'd be upset too if I went from an exit seat to a E- seat for an intl flight
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eng3
I could not see any obvious reason from the flight status page.
There usually isn't any apparent reason.

Originally Posted by eng3
Though I think my Mom doesn't care much about the reason and has probably shifted focus to compensation.
UA doesn't typically comp for involuntary seat reassignments. If E+ was paid for, they will refund it.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
My last flight to EWR I had snagged the first row aisle of E+ at OLCI. As I was getting ready to board I noticed that my seat had changed to a middle about two rows back. I went to the gate agent and she immediately put me back on the aisle bulkhead. A very elderly lady ended up boarding (after me) and took the middle seat. Certainly they wouldn’t boot a “passnerger needing assistance” for a lowly silver would they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.