Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is the 763 Ghetto Bird?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Flew on a Ghetto Bird in F today from ORD-SFO. It was fine, as always. Just board early becuase all bags must go in are their sides due to hte outmoded, small bins.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:08 pm

I flew on a ghetto bird OGG - SFO in December and sat in 1B. We weren't sure why but the FA call chime kept going off and turned the FA call light on over seats 2A/B. It seemed like it happened whenever I touched my IFE controls so there was likely a short in the wiring around those seats. It was funny for the first hour. It got funnier still when the FAs came up from Y after hearing the chime thinking someone had actually needed something. It must have gone off 50 times on that flight. Ghetto bird indeed!

The saddest part about the ghetto birds is they are the newest airframes in the sUA fleet having been delivered around '00 and '01. Probably why they are heading to HKG to get the BF makeovers.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K->AS MVP Gold 75K, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Dsybok
You would think easy upgrade, but I have NEVER gotten an upgrade on a the class 767. Its almost always hub to hub and full of elites. Always seems like it is LAX-IAD or ORD, and I never get those as a gold.
Same here. I have never been upgraded on UA's 763 between ORD and SFO as a gold.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:11 am

Programs: UA1K, BA GLD
I flew it a month ago with family DEN-OGG and all of us have been upgraded and it was quite a nice flight. It was my first time on domestic 763 and I was pleasantly surprised after reading all the negative comments.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Honestly I think they're fine. I flew IAD-SFO in Y on one in 2010 and had no issues in 21A (reclining exit row). You get a better shot at a window or aisle than a 757 and it certainly beats a 737 (unless you're a fan of DirecTV, I'm not). I flew on it twice in F and it's tight, but still better than Y.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockey7711
It looks like a fairly easy upgrade since there are so many FC seats.
In the world of COdbaUA, there is no such thing..... unless you are a Kettle looking for a TOD!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
They are fine. I actually like them better than the 757's. E+ legroom is worse than other planes in the fleet (not by much though) and there is limited overhead bin space. I like them, however CH9 never seems to be turned on for these planes...

Last edited by UAL250; Mar 31, 2012 at 9:37 am
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:35 am

I read all the complaints about the "Ghetto" bird, however, it still is a widebody, which I prefer. I would pay extra if all the 757s that they use for International travel were replaced with Ghetto birds. Realize that the 57s have the new C seats, but it's so much more pleasurable in Y in a 767. Try to compare flying the 57 into AMS and the 67 out. Day and night.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I read all the complaints about the "Ghetto" bird, however, it still is a widebody, which I prefer. I would pay extra if all the 757s that they use for International travel were replaced with Ghetto birds. Realize that the 57s have the new C seats, but it's so much more pleasurable in Y in a 767. Try to compare flying the 57 into AMS and the 67 out. Day and night.
As a rule, I prefer wide bodies for TATL as well (I've been flying AF's A380 JFK-CDG and enjoying it).

But I have flown TATL on narrow bodies and found it excellent, namely on OpenSkies' 757-200 in their all J configuration.

And even though I do prefer wide bodies, there are a few downsides, such as boarding, immigration and baggage claim delays.

That said, in Y I think the 767 in its 2-3-2 configuration is perhaps the single best airplane to cross the pond, since it only has 1 middle seat per every seven seats, the best ratio of any plane flying over the Atlantic.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
was in the E+ exit row all by myself. The combination of no others between me and the door as well as the slow leak of air around the door seal and no radiative insulation between me and the door made the flight not terribly restful. I quite frankly froze.
I think exit rows are often cold as well, but I don't think it could be slow leaks of air for a couple of reasons:
1. The inside air would be leaking out because the cabin is under positive pressure.
2. The leak would have to be so slow as to be nonexistent in order for the cabin to remain pressurized and for alarms not to sound.

But the cabin is always colder by the doors so what's up with that?

Apologies for taking this off-topic.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
I cleared into F for my SFO-KOA flight on the 763 in June, and I've been trying to understand what the cabin update plan is for this. It looks like one is getting refurbished right now according to the fleet update page (by a member here), but what are my chances of flying a refurbished 763? I'm placing them at or below 0%, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Even if I do not get a new cabin (which I won't), what interior or exterior updates are being done on this aircraft? Just a fresh coat of paint?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Billiken
B B B B Bird Bird Bird, Bird is the Word.
+2
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:51 am

E+ is ok...Freeze at Emergency Exit...FC Legroom marginal

Hello Everyone!

I'v flown most on these when I was doing the HNL/DEN route a year or two ago.

Guess I'm the only one here, but I absolutely hate those "Equipment Boxes" underneath the AB seats. I"m 6ft tall and I can't stretch my legs fully...unless if I'm at an angle, due to the boxes blocking the way.

E+ is ok....as someone posted here before, I made the mistake of choosing the Emergency exit by the door mid cabin and I too FROZE over there....and it was a packed flight....so I'm certain it doesn't make a difference if you're alone or have people sitting next to you...only difference is that there are more people there to freeze with....lol

Cabin interior is not bad...but blah....overhead bins are teeny and suck for storing carryon if you have regular sized carryon. It is overdue for a refurbish. I always feel like I'm flying in the 90's or older and the plane just hasn't been updated. (Lighting, wallls, general ambiance in the plane)

This is my least favorite A/C in the United system. Though I do prefer any PMUA plane in Econ since the PMCO planes seem to have a much harder/stiffer seat in Econ for some reason.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
TINY overhead storage in Business Class, be sure to get on early if you've got a roll aboard. Don't be scared to ask the FAs to store your rolly in the closet if necessary.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bsmnsr
TINY overhead storage in Business Class, be sure to get on early if you've got a roll aboard. Don't be scared to ask the FAs to store your rolly in the closet if necessary.
There is no business class on the true "Ghetto Bird", only Y and F.

My only complaint about F on these birds is that if you recline all the way, the person in the seat behind can't use a laptop or eat. The FAs always seem to have to go around and ask people to put their seats up during meal service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.