Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No BOB on a 4-hour flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
No BOB (food) on a 4-hour flight?

DCA-IAH-SFO March 22nd, IAH-SFO segment leaving at 9:05pm, and with only 35 minutes between the two segments, no time to get anything at the airport. This one time in my life I was kinda depending on that "Snacks for purchase" line in the itin.

But no food. Not even pretzels. Nothing to buy. Oh, that's not quite right, they had plenty of alcohol, but that's a bit more refined than the grain I was looking for.

I've never been on a 4 hour flight that didn't have food to buy. The plane had been sitting at the gate for 3.5 hours (which seems pretty strange for the super-efficient CO side of things, right?). I've never been on a flight over two hours that didn't sell the various BOB snack boxes, and usually the sandwiches and salads as well.

But hey, the boarding seemed to go well, and the FAs very friendly. Couldn't watch the movie though 'cuz the headphone jack didn't work (nor did my daughter's in the seat next to me). Kinda ironic since the FA sitting across from us was telling us how lucky United was that CO bought out the company and was working to make UA's old planes safe to fly.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm Reason: clarity; CO folk might not know BOB
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: These views are my own and do not represent the views of United Airlines
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Kinda ironic since the FA sitting across from us was telling us how lucky United was that CO bought out the company and was working to make UA's old planes safe to fly.
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:06 pm

Catering error. That flight should have had everything but fresh food on it.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by cdayind
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
I just let the guy keep on talking; very nice guy, very good on airline history (he's been with CO for 20 years). My daughter wanted to take him to task but I whispered to her to just let it ride and see where it goes.

I can't imagine how any deadheading PMUA employees might have felt, hearing this guy's yarn. But really, really pleasantly spun. Very nice guy who truly believes what he says. Which, of course, is the scariest part of all. But looking at the lighter side, it was excellent in-flight entertainment.
Originally Posted by pptp
Catering error. That flight should have had everything but fresh food on it.
But really, if the plane had been on the ground for 3.5 hours, how did the catering get screwed up? How do I blame this on Jeff?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm Reason: tone & attitude reduction
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was on 1709 IAH-SFO Mar 23, and they announced, "Due to new United policy, there is no food offering for flights leaving after 9pm." After one of the FAs doing the drink server got through the grumbling and on to me, I asked her, "Guess they didn't ask you about that decision." She laughed and rolled her eyes.

I am frequently doing an east coast airport onto ORD-SFO or IAH-SFO. You leave on a 5:00 flight, spend 2 hrs in the air, lose an hour for the timezone, have a near minimum connection and fine walk, and then the 9:00 pm flight has no service. And of course, upgrades now are not happening like they used to. Good grief!

What are other people's solutions?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:12 pm

If you look that flight up on the pda site, it confirms that BOB should be there. Not sure what's going on.

They will ALWAYS throw the snack cart on if nothing else (and if the flight is long enough) because it doesn't really cost anything more then a little fuel---that stuff is shelf-stable and they don't have to pay us any more to sell it.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I was on this same flight a few weeks ago (3/1 I think), and they also made the announcement that there was absolutely no food available for sale.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedHeadFlyer
I was on 1709 IAH-SFO Mar 23, and they announced, "Due to new United policy, there is no food offering for flights leaving after 9pm." After one of the FAs doing the drink server got through the grumbling and on to me, I asked her, "Guess they didn't ask you about that decision." She laughed and rolled her eyes.

I am frequently doing an east coast airport onto ORD-SFO or IAH-SFO. You leave on a 5:00 flight, spend 2 hrs in the air, lose an hour for the timezone, have a near minimum connection and fine walk, and then the 9:00 pm flight has no service. And of course, upgrades now are not happening like they used to. Good grief!

Exactly my situation. Except that they thought it was a mistake that BOB wasn't loaded up, a catering error. And yes, quite the walk (two terminal away, C to E or vice-versa?) with barely a chance to use the bathroom as you're rushing to get there ahead of the final boarders, hoping there's still a shot at some overhead space. Thank goodness we were booked in the last exit row, way at the back of the plane (still have overhead space).

Any evening flight from IAH (or ORD) is going to be full of connecting passengers, and it's not unreasonable to expect the opportunity to buy something on the plane. Particularly when United said you'd be able to do so. Especially when you're going to arrive too late to get anything at the other end.

You can argue that the airline is in the business of selling transportation and not an opportunity to dine, but Hemispheres Magazine would suggest otherwise.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RedHeadFlyer

If you're willing to risk not having overhead space, I keep on the lookout for *any* instant (pre-prepared) food concession with no line on the way to the gate.

I also sometimes have breakfast bars stashed away in my briefcase.

Originally Posted by lensman
I also sometimes have breakfast bars stashed away in my briefcase.
Or bananas from the free breakfast at the hotel - or shortbread cookies from the UC. (I know, I'm bad)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 25, 2012 at 1:09 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I note that for the same flight this week (1709 Mar 30 IAH-SFO leaving 9:04), united.com says "Meal: Snacks for Purchase".

I am happy to pay for a nice meal, if I could get it. Nearly feels like they are going out of their way to be hostile the business traveler. Practically, it looks like I'm stuck between a hopefully good spot with a short line (IAH does have better than average takeout options and lines aren't too bad after 8pm) or emergency rations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.