Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can you not cross both oceans on a roundtrip Asia award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you not cross both oceans on a roundtrip Asia award?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:44 am

I tried doing this with a Delta Award ticket and I was told I can't for the same reason (crossing 2 oceans = rtw ticket). My route was:

KE: IAD-->ICN
AF: ICN-->CDG (wanted a stopover)
AF: CDG-->IAD
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, thanks everyone -- it seems like the consensus view is that it's perfectly legal to fly "around the world" on a roundtrip USA-Asian award. That makes sense because the computer offers itineraries in both directions -- and it generally works out to be the shortest flight times.

What was bizarre to me today was that -- even though I was already holding a ticketed reservation -- every agent I spoke to was CERTAIN that my itinerary was illegal, even though nobody could articulate why. And this was how I was treated as a 1K. Maybe it was just bad luck, but sheesh. Coming from the CO side of the business, I actually thought I would receive better customer service once the airlines was integrated (CO always seemed businesslike on the phone to me, while my dealings with UA's elite desk suggested they wanted to actually HELP me). I guess not right now. Maybe, as the supervisor told me, they're worried about being too lenient.
The rule that it is breaking is that this is a circle route. The website has long offered them as an eastbound only trip, but it's not possible when an agent is involved.

Don't take too much stock in the reward agents. There are a few good ones, but I have yet to talk to one (in 8 or 9 agents) that knew that you could have an open jaw and a stopover (much less the 2 OJs and a stopover). It's been almost a year since that was in effect. I even had to explain the difference between the two to one agent.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:33 am

Can you have stopovers/open jaws on paid tickets or are they only valid on award tix?

Originally Posted by wcalvert
The rule that it is breaking is that this is a circle route. The website has long offered them as an eastbound only trip, but it's not possible when an agent is involved.

Don't take too much stock in the reward agents. There are a few good ones, but I have yet to talk to one (in 8 or 9 agents) that knew that you could have an open jaw and a stopover (much less the 2 OJs and a stopover). It's been almost a year since that was in effect. I even had to explain the difference between the two to one agent.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
Can you have stopovers/open jaws on paid tickets or are they only valid on award tix?
You can if the are rules allow it. On cheap tickets they typically don't. There was a crazy fare basis last year on SEA-New York and people were able to route through Honolulu and South America on the way.

Award roundtrips are allowed to have the one stopover and two open jaws though.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting. For ease, I've always just searched one-ways "there and back." It sounds like the computer logic "discriminates" against two ocean awards but doesn't prohibit them. As I said, though, I cherry picked flights from my one-way searches and the computer agreed that it was a legal routing.
how did you get the computer (I am assuming united.com) to agree? By searching segment by segment? What if you have more segments than united.com is willing to take?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michael_v
how did you get the computer (I am assuming united.com) to agree? By searching segment by segment? What if you have more segments than united.com is willing to take?
I actually found the segments myself on the website and called the elite line to book. Their computer had no problem pricing my itinerary as a valid roundtrip.

This is definitely a YMMV thing.

Interesting, in making changes, the MOST vexing problem I had was getting UA to reticket the rez in time. It would just languish on the queue. In fact, I lost one flight I booked on ANA because, without a ticket number, ANA cancelled my rez before UA ticketed it (it was cancelled 5 days after booking). It worked out OK for me, though, because an apologetic agent was able to get "replacement" nonstop UA seats reallocated for award usage for me. Perhaps this could even be a gambit to try (mostly for 1Ks without change fees). Not sure why it's hard to get UA to reticket int'l award tickets. Perhaps they're swamped -- it seemed to have something to do with recalculation of the tax payment amount.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:36 pm

For what it's worth, I have the following R/T booked for this summer:

IAD-CDG-FRA-SIN (OPEN JAW) BKK-HKG-NRT-SFO-IAD.

23 hr connections in CDG & HKG. 4 day stopover in NRT.

Booked in C to SIN & F on the way home for 130k UA miles total.

I originally booked this on the phone with CO premerger.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by wcalvert
How does this break the circle route rule? "Circle trips are not permitted. For example, you cannot fly from San Francisco to Hong Kong, to Auckland and back to San Francisco."
To me this means you can't have a stopover in some place that is not a normal connection point. Would be beneficial if UA could quantify this in some way.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
a mini RTW award trip can be booked using a stop-over and an open-jaw.
(other threads can be found buy searching for "mini RTW")

I have found routes such as
CLE-HKG -- SIN-FCO, (stop-over) FCO-CLE
CLE-HKG -- BKK-FCO, (stop-over) FCO-CLE.
CLE-HKG -- SIN-FRA, (stop-over) FRA-CLE.

I'm sure other Asian cities will work, key is to have the open-jaw in Asia, with HKG working the best, and going TPAC then TATL working best.

FRA route was tough to find availability.
I also found a few routes the opposite directions.

I think I was also able to find something thru SYD or MLB, but I can't remember how it worked. (after many hours of pecking at the keyboard trying every city combo I could think of, they started to blur-together!)

This type of routing requires you to BUY the segment between the open-jaw cities... but it was typically around $100 for the o/w HKG-SIN or HKG-BKK.

These routes price at 60K for Y, 120K for J, or 130k for F.
(finding all segments in J or F is not easy)

Last edited by bajrbajr; Apr 21, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:55 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Both oceans?

If you fly East to Thailand then East from Thailand to the USA you are crossing 3 oceans

Tell UA to buy an atlas and shuttup
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Both oceans?

If you fly East to Thailand then East from Thailand to the USA you are crossing 3 oceans

Tell UA to buy an atlas and shuttup
Now, now, for the purposes of this discussion we're talking about the two major ones that basically span the globe from north to south, the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Now, now, for the purposes of this discussion we're talking about the two major ones that basically span the globe from north to south, the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
Yes I figured that. Although it would be interesting to argue with UA that any 2 ocean rule cannot apply because you have an extra ocean
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you fly East to Thailand then East from Thailand to the USA you are crossing 3 oceans ....
sfo-bkk-fra-sfo appears to be only two oceans
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
sfo-bkk-fra-sfo appears to be only two oceans
Damn curvy maps! I couldn't tell from yours but on this one, yes BKK FRA just missed the Bay of Bengal by a whisker

Well spotted sir!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Damn curvy maps! I couldn't tell from yours but on this one, yes BKK FRA just missed the Bay of Bengal by a whisker

Well spotted sir!
Even if it did they would just quibble, a "bay" is not an "ocean". Neither is a "sea", "channel", "gulf" or any of the other wannabe bodies of water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.