Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can you not cross both oceans on a roundtrip Asia award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you not cross both oceans on a roundtrip Asia award?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA PremExec
Book two one-way awards. I did ORD-LHR-BKK on one reservation and BKK-NRT-ORD on another.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAkls
Book two one-way awards. I did ORD-LHR-BKK on one reservation and BKK-NRT-ORD on another.
Yeah, this is only "a problem" if you want a stopover. Although I originally booked a one-way award to BKK with a stopover! I only discovered "the rule" (stopovers on roundtrips only) when I tried to book a one-way with a stopover to get home.

So if you want 2 stopovers, maybe you can shop for them with an agent who also doesn't know the rules.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Try it with an open jaw between N and S Asia - it will offer you crossing 2 oceans.
Same with an open jaw E/W North America
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Originally Posted by samwkchan
There is no such rule. Phone agents like to make up rules when they think your routing is too creative (aka strange). In most cases, you should hang up politely and call back. Just hope the next agent is less imaginative.
<snip>

Exactly. DAB's #1 rule of air travel - if whomever you are talking to from the airline says the word "rule", you are talking to the wrong person. Talk to someone else. The airlines only really care about their rules when they are trying to extort money from the traveling public... Unfortunately, that seems to be always now.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: United 1K
My Routing in August is:
LAX-SFO-NRT-MNL UA/ANA
MNL-BKK-FRA-ORD-LAX THAI/UA (42 hours for the return!)
70k miles First Class each way

Since I could not get MNL-BKK online, the agent helped me out...must of had a good agent.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:38 pm

On the phone now trying to change an east coast -> asia via pacific itin to return via europe instead. Agent initially agreed with me re: not being a RTW, but had to call the "rate desk" since it was not pricing taxes automatically. Comes back on the line having been convinced by the "rate desk" that crossing two oceans = RTW.

Edit: Update on the above. After 3 hrs on hold, we realize the agent fat-fingered a date and gave me an extra stopover, which is why it was pricing as a RTW. That didn't stop them from inventing a an entire rulebook of reasons for my "illegal" itin along the way though....

Last edited by UnitedConnection; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:56 am
Old May 1, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mountainman
I thought the 90,000 mile C awards from the US to SE Asia were gone long ago. When did you book?
Probably from US DM, UA would need 120,000 miles. I found US miles most useful in this case.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:23 pm

I have a pre-3/3 CO award ticket for later this year. Due to a glitch I paid less than the required mileage. Now a UA schedule change has made it impossible to make one of the connections.

The questions: If I call to fix the impossible connection, how will they handle it? Will they redeposit then reticket at the higher mileage? Or will they just "plug in" a new segment that works? I assume moving it back by one day would result in me getting charged the full amount? (Obviously I tried to do it online; no dice.)

What if I do nothing and just wait until I miss the flight due to the impossible connection?
Old May 24, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by LuckyDogHiding
I have a pre-3/3 CO award ticket for later this year. Due to a glitch I paid less than the required mileage. Now a UA schedule change has made it impossible to make one of the connections.

The questions: If I call to fix the impossible connection, how will they handle it? Will they redeposit then reticket at the higher mileage? Or will they just "plug in" a new segment that works? I assume moving it back by one day would result in me getting charged the full amount? (Obviously I tried to do it online; no dice.)

What if I do nothing and just wait until I miss the flight due to the impossible connection?
Don't miss the flight. You may find all your other segments are cancelled. They should NOT charge you anything as long as YOU don't want to change anything. If you keep the same outbound flight, they must find you a connection. It's when YOU start wanting to make changes that they can ask for more miles Remind the agent that you bought this when it was less miles so she will know not to just refund it and start from scratch
Old May 24, 2012, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having booked several glitches before 3/3, from my experience - is that they will try to change the segment - it wont reprice - and they ll go off doing it manually. You ll be fine. Under no circumstance should you pay more miles - the only thing may be that you are required to pay some more tax due to currency fluctuations. Also depending on the glitch, it may still be live and price out properly

It would also help immensely if you called in with alternatives with available space you researched yourself to the rescheduled flight
Old May 24, 2012, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It would also help immensely if you called in with alternatives with available space you researched yourself to the rescheduled flight
Thanks much! One more: This was a saver award; should a replacement standard award work?
Old May 25, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
I've been told that crossing both oceans will make this a RTW ticket (which cost a lot more miles). Easiest just to book two OWs. There are many city pairs (eg JFK/SIN) where TATL and TPAC routings are both valid.
+1. The fact pattern presented would lead one to conclude that it should have been booked as an RTW.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks much! One more: This was a saver award; should a replacement standard award work?
No. If you cannot find saver space - then they will have to rebook you by calling airlines involved to open up space or offer you a refund.
Old May 25, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Damn curvy maps! I couldn't tell from yours but on this one, yes BKK FRA just missed the Bay of Bengal by a whisker.

Well spotted sir!
It really depends on the winds. Westbound from the U.S., you can go over two oceans (Arctic and Pacific) or none (via the Bering and/or Chukchi and Ohhotsk and Japan Seas). From BKK you may or may not go over the Indian Ocean. The only sure bet is the Atlantic. So the correct answer is actually 1 to 4.

Last edited by 5khours; May 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm
Old May 26, 2012, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If one wants to book a round trip award between the US and Asia with stopover and open jaw, does mixing these downtown/out of town airports (e.g. NRT/HND, ICN/SEL, PVG/SHA, TPE/TSA) mix things up?

That is, can one do say...

LAX-NRT (destination)
SIN-NRT(stop) then HND-LAX

Would it be invalid because:

1 - NRT can't be the destination and the stopover? or
2 - NRT/HND are consider two different cities? (I no longer see co-terminals listed in the fare rules - is there a list somewhere)

Or, it is valid?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.