Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 4 April 2020
We’re extending electronic certificates
To give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ot-ruling.html
Print Wikipost

Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Update now that all change fees are gone

I would really appreciate some advice about use of an expiring ETC now that change fees are abolished.

With abolishing of change fees, I presume that I can use my expiring ETC to book on any UA/UX flight greater than the ETC value and then cancel that flight (at least 24 hours after booking but before departure) for a FFC.

Assuming that general position is correct, please can you help me with the following:
1. I understand that I would need to buy a fare other than BE?
2. It seems that the expiration on my current ETC is a "Book-by" not a "travel-by" date?
3. It looks like expiration of the FFC on the newly purchased ticket that I subsequently cancel will be 12 months from ticketing date and so I should leave the ticket purchase as late as possible before expiration of my current ETC?

Thanks in advance

Lurker
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Lurker
I would really appreciate some advice about use of an expiring ETC now that change fees are abolished.

With abolishing of change fees, I presume that I can use my expiring ETC to book on any UA/UX flight greater than the ETC value and then cancel that flight (at least 24 hours after booking but before departure) for a FFC.

Assuming that general position is correct, please can you help me with the following:
1. I understand that I would need to buy a fare other than BE?
2. It seems that the expiration on my current ETC is a "Book-by" not a "travel-by" date?
3. It looks like expiration of the FFC on the newly purchased ticket that I subsequently cancel will be 12 months from ticketing date and so I should leave the ticket purchase as late as possible before expiration of my current ETC?

Thanks in advance

Lurker
'Yes' to all 3. I would still purchase a refundable fare for greatest flexibility. UA rules can change, but fare rules are fare rules. Plus you can pretty much always do the rebooking online w/o any agent interaction.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
'Yes' to all 3. I would still purchase a refundable fare for greatest flexibility.
Seconded, as currently UA's non-refundable fares do not give residual value -- so, after buying a flight with the ETC, and then cancelling it to get FFC, if your next flight is less expensive than the FFC, UA keeps the difference. If you use a refundable fare instead, you at least have a shot of being able to get a new ETC generated for the residual value (after deducting the cancellation penalty, if any). This might not work -- in theory, the refund isn't supposed to reset the expiration date, or people could keep an ETC alive indefinitely in this manner -- but recent reports seem to suggest that it will. I probably wouldn't be so bold as to attempt to refund the entire amount -- rather, I'd use the FFC as it was intended and hope that any excess might get rolled into a fresh ETC.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:10 am

Question United Electronic Travel Certificate Advice

Afternoon All,

When I travelled in October 2019 I received a Electronic Travel Certificate due to a service failure. Due to the extension I have until this coming October to use it.Unfortunately due to the current restrictions I am not able to apply for an ESTA and therefore cant travel to the US. Does anyone have any ideas about how I should go about using it as I don't want to lose out. I understand that it can only be used on flights, but I was thinking about booking and then cancelling a full fare ticket so that I would be given it as a new voucher, valid for an additional two years.
What would be your thoughts? The value of the voucher is $125.00Thanks in advance.

Silver_Kris
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver_Kris
Afternoon All,

When I travelled in October 2019 I received a Electronic Travel Certificate due to a service failure. Due to the extension I have until this coming October to use it.Unfortunately due to the current restrictions I am not able to apply for an ESTA and therefore cant travel to the US. Does anyone have any ideas about how I should go about using it as I don't want to lose out. I understand that it can only be used on flights, but I was thinking about booking and then cancelling a full fare ticket so that I would be given it as a new voucher, valid for an additional two years.
What would be your thoughts? The value of the voucher is $125.00Thanks in advance.

Silver_Kris
In October, you can use it for travel through September 2022. If that's insufficient, what you describe might work, but isn't really supposed to, since that obviously would extend the expiration indefinitely. (To be clear -- there are recent reports that you will get a new expiration date if you do that).
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I have a FFC that needs to be used by mid-May. Not sure if it's book by or travel by, but besides the point. Can I use that FFC to book a flight for the future and then later cancel it to change to a new future FFC expiration date (hopefully 1 year addition)?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by miasmal
I have a FFC that needs to be used by mid-May. Not sure if it's book by or travel by, but besides the point. Can I use that FFC to book a flight for the future and then later cancel it to change to a new future FFC expiration date (hopefully 1 year addition)?
It may keep the original expiration date, so that may not help

Before trying that, try getting the FFC converted to an ETC. There is a good chance this will work and the ETC will be good for 2 years from issue. The downside is ETCs are only usable on all UA (operated) itins (but there is a multi-step workaround to book partner flights).

The above assume this is not a BE ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2021 at 5:54 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It may keep the original expiration date, so that may not help

Before trying that, try getting the FFC converted to an ETC. There is a good chance this will work and the ETC will be good for 2 years from issue. The downside is ETCs are only usable on all US itins (but there is a multi-step workaround to book partner flights).

The above assume this is not a BE ticket.
I think you mean “UA itineraries”, NOT just “US (domestic) itineraries, correct? Just want to clarify.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I think you mean “UA itineraries”, NOT just “US (domestic) itineraries, correct? Just want to clarify.
Correct, all UA (operated) itins -- OP updated
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:36 pm

What happens if I use one of my FFCs to book a higher-price ticket, pay the difference, then cancel that ticket within the 24-hour "free cancel" period?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by alchemista
What happens if I use one of my FFCs to book a higher-price ticket, pay the difference, then cancel that ticket within the 24-hour "free cancel" period?
The standard terms are the refunds go back to the original method of payments. Extra cash back to ?credit card? (or likely the pending debit expires) and the original FFC restored -- would be my first guess. But would not be surprised if the FFC was converted to an ETC, The next post is right on.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2021 at 12:30 am
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You end up very unhappy.

There is no 24-hour "free cancel" period for a flight booked with FFC, because when you make a booking with FFC, you're not booking a new itinerary; you're changing your existing itinerary. The 24-hour rule does not apply. (To be fair, I don't think that the DOT has weighed in on this, and I suppose they might see things differently, but you'd be looking at a fight).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You end up very unhappy.

There is no 24-hour "free cancel" period for a flight booked with FFC, because when you make a booking with FFC, you're not booking a new itinerary; you're changing your existing itinerary. The 24-hour rule does not apply. (To be fair, I don't think that the DOT has weighed in on this, and I suppose they might see things differently, but you'd be looking at a fight).
Thank you, I was suspecting something like that so hesitated. It seems like an FFC "change" could simply end you up with more money invested in that same FFC and possibly not extend the expiration date. I was considering using a $500 FFC to purchase a $2100 itinerary, but the way the FFC workflow goes, I was considered I'd end up with the same FFC but now at $2100 if I wanted to cancel/change (a big downfall).

This could be part of the reason for FFCs, it keeps you locked in to the same workflow or booking container. I haven't seen any recent posts successful with simply converting FFC to ETC, which would get rid of those issues.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:34 pm

... . I haven't seen any recent posts successful with simply converting FFC to ETC, which would get rid of those issues.
There have been many recent reports of FFC conversion to ETCs. may not be guaranteed but worth a try. Just remember the limitations of ETCs to UA-operated only flights (and ETCs are not cash refundable if the flight is cancelled).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by miasmal
I ended up calling and asking if the FFC could be changed to ETC. CS mentioned something about the ticket being an involuntary change - I don't remember the circumstances, all I know it was a Mexico-US flight for last November that I cancelled because the trip I was on was cancelled (so I guess it was technically voluntary). I just nodded and the agent said she'll put in a request. 48 hours later I got the ETC email, with expiration date in 2023. I'm happy.
jsloan and cfischer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.