Wiki Posts
Search

1k Same Day Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines 1K, Hilton Honors Gold, Starwood Hotels
1k Same Day Flight Change

I know 1ks can change a flight same day 3 1/2 hours before the flight, does that mean it has to be the exact same route...I.e. sfo to ewr can only be change to another sfo to ewr not an sfo to JFK.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Routing is allowed to be changed now - including online during OLCI.

Also, 1K's (and all others eligible for SDC) can change their flight beginning 24 hours prior to their original flight. The caveat here is that the same fare class must be available on the flights you are trying to take. During OLCI you will see a "Search for alternate flights" link. Click that and you will see a list of all valid options for you at that time. This list will change frequently so if you don't like the options you can always cancel OLCI and try again later.

Co-terminals are not allowed using SDC but changing connection cities is absolutely allowed.

-RM
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UlyssesPSA
I know 1ks can change a flight same day 3 1/2 hours before the flight, does that mean it has to be the exact same route...I.e. sfo to ewr can only be change to another sfo to ewr not an sfo to JFK.
It is now +-24hours, routing changes can only be made (only at the airport?) and theoretically
Changes are only available for the exact origin and destination airport. Connection points may be changed provided the new routing is permitted by the fare purchased.
. Some have had luck at the airport to change the destination but no is the standard answer.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the response, I did not know that. That's too bad I can't change the arrival airport.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
You can change online if same fare bucket is available, or what I have seen since the merger if CO served the route.

Over the phone you can change but have to keep the same route. At the airport you can chage the routing
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
EWR and JFK are often treated as different markets by airlines. So you might have trouble switching your ticket even during irrops unless they're slammed and desperate to get you on anything. SDC is usually about changing times and connection cities. I'm always tempted to use it more to get on a better flight but don't want to give up my confirmed upgrade.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tale
You can change online if same fare bucket is available, or what I have seen since the merger if CO served the route.

Over the phone you can change but have to keep the same route. At the airport you can chage the routing
Can you change the routing online?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by tale

Within 24 hours prior to departure, can I change for free over the phone if (1) I keep the same route, (2) the same fare bucket is unavailable and (3) a higher bucket in the same cabin is available?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stellarlight
Within 24 hours prior to departure, can I change for free over the phone if (1) I keep the same route, (2) the same fare bucket is unavailable and (3) a higher bucket in the same cabin is available?
No. There is no change fee, but you have to pay the fare difference.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by UlyssesPSA
Thank you for the response, I did not know that. That's too bad I can't change the arrival airport.
There is (was?) something in the system that allowed a change to a city within the same market for IRROPS and it was explained to me by UA when it happened that the flyer can do this as well (though YMMV).

My example, IAD-DEN-ONT with IAD-DEN way late resulting in a misconnect. I was auto-rebooked onto DEN-LAX because LAX is in the same "market" as ONT, along with SNA and BUR. When I expressed my outrage to the 1K desk (vehicle at ONT, LAX to ONT is not exactly close), they mentioned this "market" rule and mentioned that I could also SDC into the same "market" if I had to.

This was sometime mid last year.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by richk_30
There is (was?) something in the system that allowed a change to a city within the same market for IRROPS and it was explained to me by UA when it happened that the flyer can do this as well (though YMMV).

My example, IAD-DEN-ONT with IAD-DEN way late resulting in a misconnect. I was auto-rebooked onto DEN-LAX because LAX is in the same "market" as ONT, along with SNA and BUR. When I expressed my outrage to the 1K desk (vehicle at ONT, LAX to ONT is not exactly close), they mentioned this "market" rule and mentioned that I could also SDC into the same "market" if I had to.

This was sometime mid last year.
You're in the CO world now, there won't be any more of that "customer service" or "flexibility" nonsense.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by richk_30
united.com loves to show ONT itineraries when asked for LAX.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Have I just been fortunate in the past or is this an integration change we will like?

I'm not even trying to change routing but simply getting an earlier flight tomorrow for same routing of syr-ewr-bos and despite avail seats in economy was cited the change fee is waived but due to fare class it will cost $581 to change.

I've always had absolutely no issue with PMCO getting such a same day change with no routing changes and never been cited the whole "fare class" fee. So has it just been ignored in past, have I been fortunate or a new change we will like?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jkburns1
Have I just been fortunate in the past or is this an integration change we will like?

I'm not even trying to change routing but simply getting an earlier flight tomorrow for same routing of syr-ewr-bos and despite avail seats in economy was cited the change fee is waived but due to fare class it will cost $581 to change.

I've always had absolutely no issue with PMCO getting such a same day change with no routing changes and never been cited the whole "fare class" fee. So has it just been ignored in past, have I been fortunate or a new change we will like?
Were you trying to change the reservation by going to "Change reservation" in the reservation page or by going through the Check-In Process?

The former could possibly produce the fare difference while the latter shouldn't.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Cuse44
Were you trying to change the reservation by going to "Change reservation" in the reservation page or by going through the Check-In Process?

The former could possibly produce the fare difference while the latter shouldn't.
No by calling the 1k desk (and it took 30 minutes on hold with the agent who had to run back and forth to a supervisor to get explanation for this)

so was this a mistake?

And do I take a chance and run to airport at 5:30 am tomorrow to get this 6:30 flight and try to make SDC there knowing rental car will be returned and I'll be stuck there till early afternoon for original flight if I get this same run-around

Last edited by jkburns1; Mar 21, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.