Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1k Same Day Flight Change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
I have a flight LAX-JFK tomorrow that is upgraded from Y to C using miles currently.

.bomb is offering me a same-day change for $0 to an earlier flight. The earlier flight is showing R3, so upgrade space is available. But if I change the flight, will the upgrade be automatically re-requested and cleared? Or, can I call in and request the upgrade? (after already being checked in online) Do I have to support the upgrade on the new flight with a new instrument and watch the original miles go into limbo until I can get a UA agent to manually re-credit them?

Or, what happens?

Thanks in advance.
I've had to call in and get the RPU applied to the new flight. Others say it happens automatically somehow, but I have not had that experience. I would worry about having a second RPU pulled and having to fix it after the fact.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Are flights from Hawaii to the mainland eligible for this? I can't tell from the website.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Are flights from Hawaii to the mainland eligible for this? I can't tell from the website.
If you mean SDC yes.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by aacharya
If you mean SDC yes.
Good, that's what I meant! Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Yes, as are international flights, even.

For more info about SDC generally, see the wikipost at the top of the SDC thread.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
I have an upcoming indirect flight from EWR to IST in April 11th. I booked P class - what do you all think are the odds that P will open up 24hrs before so I can SDC?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
I have an upcoming indirect flight from EWR to IST in April 11th. I booked P class - what do you all think are the odds that P will open up 24hrs before so I can SDC?
If it's a non-direct flight where are you connecting? You won't be able to SDC if you're flying another airline in conjunction with a UA flight.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by njcommodore
If it's a non-direct flight where are you connecting? You won't be able to SDC if you're flying another airline in conjunction with a UA flight.
^

Nor can you SDC to something exactly 24hrs earlier, if that's something you were looking at doing.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
^

Nor can you SDC to something exactly 24hrs earlier, if that's something you were looking at doing.
Flying UA to FRA, the code share from FRA To IST on LH.
I read somewhere that you can sdc from code share?
And I would sdc within the 24hr window of the direct flight.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
All you can possibly do is fly to FRA earlier. Can't do anything with FRA-IST.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You might want to flip through this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ipost-faq.html

Originally Posted by aacharya
All you can possibly do is fly to FRA earlier. Can't do anything with FRA-IST.
There are reports of successful SDC's away from a codeshare flight.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
There are reports of successful SDC's away from a codeshare flight.
Becoming less and less likely as the large sUA agent population becomes more familiar with how the system works and what the rules are. Last year was a bit of a free-for-all due to the post-merger chaos.

The published rule says UA metal only, so I certainly wouldn't count on it.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Has anyone tried to SDC an intl after GPU cleared on original flight? - EDIT: Ignore I see a few have done this.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've read the SDC page/q&a and it sites my situation as possible as long as you call in.

My itinerary is EWR-IST, I just happen to be going through FRA. I would think UA would rather have me fly all the way on UA, and not have to pay LH for connecting with them in FRA?

I'll give it a shot and let you all know the outcome - my feeling is, no dice, gotta love the new UA.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've read the SDC page/q&a and it sites my situation as possible as long as you call in.

My itinerary is EWR-IST, I just happen to be going through FRA. I would think UA would rather have me fly all the way on UA, and not have to pay LH for connecting with them in FRA?

I'll give it a shot and let you all know the outcome - my feeling is, no dice, gotta love the new UA.
Again - the policy quite clearly says "no" in this scenario. Just so you're aware and can approach the discussion properly. The point about calling is just anecdotal FT talk, and my point above is very relevant there.

And by "gotta love the new UA" I presume you mean because of the vastly better SDC policy in operation than the "old" UA had? If you think the current policy is a step backwards for people in this situation (or most others for that matter) you are absolutely misinformed. This is one of the huge improvements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.