Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Meltdown; Scary Situation, unbelievable agents...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I was on the flight 90 debacle yesterday at LAX; in my million+ miles with the airline, this was the first one where I was thisclose to calling 911 due to the situation getting out of hand.
One thing I did not notice in your post is what followup action you intend to take. Will you be writing or calling UA to complain?

UA can certainly be proactive here and reach out to passengers. Do report back if you hear from them.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
SMI/J

There was a SMI/J that popped up on the cleared F list while the flight was a 757-300, but once it became clear it was going to go mechanical, he dropped from the list and never showed on the upgrade or standby lists. He was in 5E, and I was so hoping it was you-know-who, but I guess we'll never know who it was...other than someone who was smart enough not to fly 90 in the end.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, United Club, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The only difference here, is this was an all PMCO situation, not involving any UA employees...
How is it possible to know this? I thought they were all mixing in now?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by worldexpress
I'm certainly going to think twice about paying to possibly be subjected to this kind of treatment/experience when there are alternative carriers. Thanks for posting, OP.
Events like this reinforce the soundness of my decision to steer clear of United for awhile.

Not surprised that the employees blamed the customers. When DL was in bankruptcy, my brother fumed at all the passengers who wanted cheap fares resulting in his pay cut.

Sitting on a full AA 737 right now that was boarded calmly and quickly because they have a logical boarding process that works. Next week it's AF TATL. I might try UA again in May.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jetski1110
I was also supposed to be on that flight. I arrived at LAX earlier that morning from Australia after having to rebook because the SYD-SFO flight on the 18th was also canceled due to a mechanical problem in SFO.

The reps were far from helpful. The reps not only weren't helpful they gave incorrect information and even ran away and left the gate desk completely unattended for about 25 minutes.They claim they didn't even know that the new plane was much smaller than the original one. I was one of the lucky people who was denied boarding. One employee who was handling meal vouchers, looked at her watch and said I've been working enough today and just walked away. I wish I knew her name.

Having been told numerous times I had a seat on the plane and because I was already traveling for over 24 hours, I folded. They offered a flight the next day from LAX to JFK but I was able to convince them to give me an LAX to IAD later that night then a flight from IAD to EWR. I finally landed at EWR at 9:30 this morning, 12 hours have I would have if UA090 was on time

Flight 90 landed at EWR about 7 hours late, at 4am

I really hope tom UA management sees this thread and is fully briefed on what was a horrible, very mismanaged, out of control situation.
There actually was a woman crying in the gate area, saying she was on that SYD mechanical too and was at her witts ends because UA wasn't getting her to NYC, even though she had the double mechanical. She was in the dreaded buzz-at the gate mess and I don't know if she ever got out. Agents were explaining people wouldn't be able to get to NYC until Tuesday at the earliest (which surprised me, because the other airlines had eastbound availability yesterday and today.)

Originally Posted by tom911
One thing I did not notice in your post is what followup action you intend to take. Will you be writing or calling UA to complain?

UA can certainly be proactive here and reach out to passengers. Do report back if you hear from them.
I don't know yet...I'm still waiting for my blood pressure to return to normal. This is the third major screwup of UA's for me in the last 7 days, I'm still processing how to deal with all of this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: NW Plat (Million Miler), CO PLT, SPG Plat, Hertz Five Star
This sounds like an absolutely horrendous situation for everyone involved. The fact that they were trying to downgrade you with a paid F ticket is inexcusable to me.

I think the agent are just exhausted with everything. I flew back from Dulles last week, and there was only 1 agent for the Premier Line, no agents for 1K, and 1 for GS/Intl. 1st Class. The 1 agent who spent an hour trying to check me in said it has been a mess and that she doesn't care anymore.

Hopefully the passenger with double inops's made it home to New York. At the very least, the new UA should've figure out a way to get everyone home on one of the numerous carriers flying LAX-JFK.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by schley
Wow terrible handling no doubt. Hope this doesn't become something that happens more than once a year.
Well, i was hoping more like "once in a lifetime". It's so bad....
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:08 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by txindian78
Hopefully the passenger with double inops's made it home to New York. At the very least, the new UA should've figure out a way to get everyone home on one of the numerous carriers flying LAX-JFK.
TBH, I suspect that the UACO personnel in charge did not want to spend the money to push the ticket to another carrier, and was hoping that uninformed pax would just give up and buy tix on another carrier themselves, thus allowing UA to (1) avoid paying any rebooking costs or denied boarding compensation, and (2) receive a windfall by keeping the pax's originally paid fare. IMO this kind of "strategic" treatment of pax should be illegal and should be heavily penalized.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
TBH, I suspect that the UACO personnel in charge did not want to spend the money to push the ticket to another carrier, and was hoping that uniformed pax would just give up and buy tix on another carrier themselves, thus allowing UA to (1) avoid paying any rebooking costs or denied boarding compensation, and (2) receive a windfall by keeping the pax's originally paid fare. IMO this kind of "strategic" treatment of pax should be illegal and should be heavily penalized.
It should be noted that, under PMCO IrrOps, it was habitual for passengers not to be accommodated on other airlines, so this incident essentially conforms to the PMCO IrrOps practices (minus all the yelling and insulting, of course).
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: VAG
This is unbelievable.

And I mean that literally. I genuinely don't believe what you've told me.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by travel.flier
if you're a co GA and you've rarely had overbooked situations, then post merger you suddenly have them, it seems logical that you'd blame ua.
But now it's PMCO management control this company and
it't them to make this flight overbooked.
In addition, CO always has higher IDB rates than other carriers.
They should very familiar how to IDB people.
Therefore, it's logical to blame CO.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by Jorgen
This is unbelievable.

And I mean that literally. I genuinely don't believe what you've told me.
because you're kind of new here, i'll tell you that Weatherboy has been around a long time, and doesn't have a rep for making up stories. just sayin'.

to the op, what i found the most shocking was:
Rather than ask for volunteers for the packed -300 to come off the -200, they first randomly decided to involuntarily deny boarding to First Class passengers. I was one of the lucky victims, told I was being denied my 2nd row seat due to my status. "we would rather let someone who hasn't experienced united before a chance to fly in the BusinessFirst cabin than you" was the line I was fed, even though Ive been a CO top tiered elite for 20 years and was on a full first class ticket.
i wish--as i'm sure you do--that you had that on tape.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Wow, just wow!

After flying on 3/2, 3/3, and 3/4 I am also on a self-imposed ban on purchasing tickets on UA until this mess clears up, if it ever does.

If the OP does decide to write, I would suggest that the UA Board of Directors also be copied in any correspondence.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I'm still waiting for my blood pressure to return to normal. This is the third major screwup of UA's for me in the last 7 days, I'm still processing how to deal with all of this.
Probably foolishly, I am about to leave the office to fly SEA-DEN-BWI today. I really think I'm going to have to lay off for awhile after this. The day-to-day situation seems to be getting worse; it's clearly worse now than on Merger Weekend. My next few transcons will have to be US/AA/DL. I guess I'll see if there's anyone left standing here in May or June.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Probably foolishly, I am about to leave the office to fly SEA-DEN-BWI today. I really think I'm going to have to lay off for awhile after this. The day-to-day situation seems to be getting worse; it's clearly worse now than on Merger Weekend. My next few transcons will have to be US/AA/DL. I guess I'll see if there's anyone left standing here in May or June.
I have a trip to DC coming up in the next week or so. I had been torn between flying into DCA or IAD... reading this thread has made clear to me that the direct AS flight is probably a much better choice than UA at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.