Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66
A friend is on UA839, LAX/SYD, currently on the ground in BNE supposedly due to fog.
"Supposedly"as in you think UA prefers to incur the extra expense of a diversion for no reason?

Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
fogs in Sydney

Sorry that someone is sitting at BNE when they want to be in SYD, but
this weather pattern is not uncommon flying into Sydney in mid-winter. I think I have been on at least two LAX-SYD UA flights that diverted to BNE for additional fuel and for a landing slot. The issue, as explained to me, was not unlike the SFO on a bad day situation--limits to inbound flights requiring delays in spacing. I recall the last time, the fog was really bad and SYD was in chaos for all concerned. I had to wait in line for 2 hours at Quantas to rebook a connection. Apart from the delay, Australia does not have the policy of the USA that passengers must be disembarked and cleared through immigration and customs at the first point of landing. (Indeed UA through pax to MEL clear customs at MEL.) On a related side issue, this may explain why TATL 757s divert to Newfoundland or Montreal for refueling, since landing at Bangor would require the whole customs, immigration unloading procedures. (I recall many years ago PanAm's LHR-SEA non-stop (of beloved memory alas), had waited on the tarmac at LHR for four hours during a work-to-rule by British air traffic controllers). As a result, they had to refuel and so a 747 full of pax landed at MSP around 1:00 am, and no one could disembark until 3:00 as they had to round up customs and immigration staff from their slumbers to process the plane. Wilkommen in Amerika!!

As I recall, at BNE the UA pax also were not allowed to disembark.

Flyer 420
back from LHR in SEA
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Looks like SYD was bad today for outbounds as well.

SYD->LAX left just under 3 hours late and arrived in LAX 2hr53min late. This was due to weather.

SYD-> SFO left just under 3 hours late and arrived in SFO 2hr7min late. This was due to the late arrival of the inbound aircraft (probably went to BNE but I ddin't look it up).

-RM
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Flyer420
Apart from the delay, Australia does not have the policy of the USA that passengers must be disembarked and cleared through immigration and customs at the first point of landing. (Indeed UA through pax to MEL clear customs at MEL.) On a related side issue, this may explain why TATL 757s divert to Newfoundland or Montreal for refueling, since landing at Bangor would require the whole customs, immigration unloading procedures. (I recall many years ago PanAm's LHR-SEA non-stop (of beloved memory alas), had waited on the tarmac at LHR for four hours during a work-to-rule by British air traffic controllers). As a result, they had to refuel and so a 747 full of pax landed at MSP around 1:00 am, and no one could disembark until 3:00 as they had to round up customs and immigration staff from their slumbers to process the plane. Wilkommen in Amerika!!
Interestingly, that didn't happen to my CO flight that was diverted to JFK a bunch of years ago (it was a LGW-EWR service, which means it must have been quite a while ago). I remember the paperwork was complicated and caused substantial additional delay, but nobody had to (or was allowed to) disembark until EWR reopened.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:04 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
I feel your friend's pain.

In June 2006, I was on SFO-SYD that diverted to BNE and then MEL. We stayed on the plane at BNE but had to disembark in MEL. We parked in a freight area and it took about 2 hours to disembark, take a bus, and clear immigration and customs.

We had to check in again for the onward flight to SYD, but UA had just let go of its Australia employees and outsourced their GA staff. It took 5 hours (yes, 5 hours) to check in at the Business Class line (longer in Economy) because of the incompetence of the GAs. The flight had MX and a part had to be flown in from SYD, but the evening curfew prevented the part from coming in.

The next day, we had to check in AGAIN for some reason, but it took "only" 3 hours. After more delays, we finally got to SYD at 3 pm (34 hours delayed). The plane was continuing to LAX.

At baggage claim, we realized that the Priority bag bins got switched: the SYD bags went to LAX, and the LAX bags were unloaded in SYD. It was a bit of a shock to see bags tagged JFK, BOS, ORD, MIA, on the carousel in Australia. It took 2 more days to get our luggage.

And our visit to Australia was only 5 days!

Beautiful country once we actually saw it. Our kids were 5 and 6 at that time, and they are fortunate to remember the kangaroos and the Opera House but not the IRROPS.

Last edited by uwr; Apr 22, 2012 at 1:11 am
Old May 2, 2012, 11:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Lots of 'service' on 747s today...?

Both the ORD-NRT and the ORD-HKG 747s are reporting 'aircraft servicing' delays of 3 and 5 hours today.

And according to the folks here, the planes just landed. Serviced in Asia, perhaps....

Odd.

Or lies?
Old May 2, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Both the ORD-NRT and the ORD-HKG 747s are reporting 'aircraft servicing' delays of 3 and 5 hours today.

And according to the folks here, the planes just landed. Serviced in Asia, perhaps....

Odd.

Or lies?
They changed the plane this morning on UA895 (ORD-HKG). According to the flight status yesterday, it was supposed to be #8471 (N171UA). Now the UA website say it is #8477 (N177UA).

On Flightaware, N177UA flew UA900 (SFO-FRA) yesterday. And today it is coming to ORD as UA941 (FRA-ORD). I believe UA941 is typically a 772.

N171UA flew into ORD on 4/30 and I don't think it has been active since then.

Have there been a lot of maintenance delays on the older 744s recently?

Update:

8471 is listed for UA895 today. Already delayed 2 hours for maintenance.

Last edited by cheltzel; May 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 7:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by cheltzel
They changed the plane this morning on UA895 (ORD-HKG). According to the flight status yesterday, it was supposed to be #8471 (N171UA). Now the UA website say it is #8477 (N177UA).

On Flightaware, N177UA flew UA900 (SFO-FRA) yesterday. And today it is coming to ORD as UA941 (FRA-ORD). I believe UA941 is typically a 772.

N171UA flew into ORD on 4/30 and I don't think it has been active since then.

Update:

8471 is listed for UA895 today. Already delayed 2 hours for maintenance.
Well in the end 881 landed NRT around 6pm. Quite a few ANA and UNITED staff calling out connecting flights as we de-planed. Apparently they held many flights for those coming in late from ORD...
Old May 3, 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel

Yup. Five out of service today (Thursday, the 3rd): two planned (121 PEK; 178 SFO); three unplanned (127, 171, 174,). 837/838 SFO-NRT-SFO cancelled Wednesday from SFO, Thursday from NRT; 889/888 cancelled Thursday from SFO, Saturday from PEK; forced to turn inbound from FRA (182) to cover 895 at ORD again today after short-turning 128 and 177 at ORD yesterday: four hours or so late. 175 off 888-04 for 893-04 went tech: 6 hour delay estimated for 893; haven't checked to see if he got out.

Stress on the 744 fleet made worse by starting the extra summer peak 744 rotation ORD-FRA-ORD (supposed to be mostly ORD-FRA-SFO and SFO-FRA-ORD; doesn't always work that way) as of 1 May -- just as mass illness among aircraft hit..................
Old May 4, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
It's a Bad, Bad Day at ORD

Four flights ORD to Asia today, only one is on-time:

UA835 ORD-PVG 777, on-time
UA881 ORD-NRT, 747, 3 hour, 51 minute delay for maintenance
UA895 ORD-HKG, 747, 5 hour, 29 minute delay for maintenance
UA851 ORD-PEK, 777, 7 hour, 22 minute delay for maintenance

Fortunately, I'm on the PVG flight.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Yup. Five out of service today (Thursday, the 3rd): two planned (121 PEK; 178 SFO); three unplanned (127, 171, 174,). 837/838 SFO-NRT-SFO cancelled Wednesday from SFO, Thursday from NRT; 889/888 cancelled Thursday from SFO, Saturday from PEK; forced to turn inbound from FRA (182) to cover 895 at ORD again today after short-turning 128 and 177 at ORD yesterday: four hours or so late. 175 off 888-04 for 893-04 went tech: 6 hour delay estimated for 893; haven't checked to see if he got out.

Stress on the 744 fleet made worse by starting the extra summer peak 744 rotation ORD-FRA-ORD (supposed to be mostly ORD-FRA-SFO and SFO-FRA-ORD; doesn't always work that way) as of 1 May -- just as mass illness among aircraft hit..................
They are trying to put 171 back on 895 to HKG today and it is 5:29 late as wxguy points out in the previous post.

I saw on one of the fleet tracking sites that UA has 3 744s in storage at VCV. If this is true, I wonder when it becomes cost effective to pull one one, and convert it to have a little extra capacity.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:57 am

Really should have checked this forum before booking tickets. Flying UA895 with a two hour connection in HKG. I forsee spending the night in HKG (my onward flight is the last flight of the day).

Oh well, it isn't until December, so things might change since it seems like maintenance is huge issue right now (though UA895 seems to have been cursed for years) and it's a reward F ticket, so I didn't have a huge amount of choice.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by frontenac551
Really should have checked this forum before booking tickets. Flying UA895 with a two hour connection in HKG. I forsee spending the night in HKG (my onward flight is the last flight of the day).

Oh well, it isn't until December, so things might change since it seems like maintenance is huge issue right now (though UA895 seems to have been cursed for years) and it's a reward F ticket, so I didn't have a huge amount of choice.
I was in the same boat and was able to switch my connecting flight to the next day. Are you flying around Christmas??
Old May 4, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by izzik
are you serious? life happens. get over it.
the crew didn't want to be stuck in traffic...
Get over it? No, their job is to get to the plane in time to leave. Traffic is an excuse. They should have planned sufficient time to get there.

If I was on the last flight of the day, and I was in traffic, they would certainly charge me for being rescheduled the next day.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
UA932: IAD-FRA Perpetually delayed

Flew UA932 over the weekend and was delayed by 50-60 mins. Looking at the track record for this flight, it seems to be delayed almost every day. So the question for the UA schedulers - at what point do you throw in the towel and pad another 1-2 hrs to the flight time to ensure it arrives "on time" and passengers can quit running around trying to make connections; for the ones who miss the connection having to put up with 4-5 hours of connecting times?

IMO they have padded domestic flights quite well that a 1000 mile flight takes 3 hrs and we arrive successfully "ahead of schedule" by 20-30 mins and wait for a gate or gate personnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.