FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1325831-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2012-13-a.html)

hawata Mar 17, 2012 6:56 am

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

UA847 IAD to EZE on March 16th - delayed 14.5H

I was supposed to go last evening from EWR to IAD to EZE. I am a 1K and former CO Plat.

First my flight from EWR to IAD was delayed by two hours and i would not have made my flight, i was early enough there to get on the 5PM flight that left at 6.45pm.

Then arriving at the lounge in IAD i was informed that my flight is not leaving due to paperwork / system issues. They told me that we are leaving on the 17th at 10am. they gave me a voucher for the Marriott and 2 10us vouchers for dinner and breakfast. I understand that i should have received 2 @ 20 and that hardly covers dinner, but more importantly i dont make it to my own anniversary to Buenos Aires. My wife is already there, and everything is messed up.

Now at the airport the flight is more delayed to 12.30pm today making it a day flight arriving at midnight.

So i wonder what the typical compensation would be? I got 10K miles or 250us last week after FLT75 didn't make it all the way to EWR due to headwinds. That was a 2.5H delay but this is a complete disaster, at least for my holiday plans.

This didnt happen with the old CO and i have to mention that UA53 IAH to EZE arrived without issues.

Cheers

kwildnj Mar 17, 2012 7:16 am

Appears to not be a paperwork/systems issue after all:

Looks like your standard, run of the mill mechanical:

0847/16MAR
P SFO/OUT 126P L00.24 EST OFF 150PCARGO LOADING
P SFO/OFF 151P
P IAD/ON 918P
P IAD/IN 949P L00.41 ☨
F IAD/ETD 1230P L14.23 AIRCRAFT SERVICING
F EZE/ETA 1145P L13.55

D CRC/SFO.....POSSIBLE DELAYS DUE TO RAIN AND LOW CEILINGS

SKED SFO ORIG 102P GTD 84 SHIP 6677
IAD 908P 1007P GTA D3 GTD D7 SHIP 6442☨

skylarnyc Mar 22, 2012 7:37 am

UA1079 SJO-EWR delayed crew stuck in traffic

Curious to hear fellow FTrs thoughts on this. GA here in sjo just told waiting passengers that the crew is delayed getting here due to bad traffic on the road to the airport. Odd that the passengers seem to have made it on time :rolleyes:
This is the first flight out of the day so all the crew had to do was get out of bed & head to the airport. Seems kind of unprofessional to me; when I have to be at work at a particular time and know others are depending on me, I leave a bit early to be sure of being on time. Doing otherwise implies I could care less about those expecting me. Thoughts ?

luvsummer Mar 22, 2012 7:37 am

UA 952 Cancelled flight

I had a confirmed reservation from IAD -FRA-BLR on 3/21. IAD- FRA was on UA 952. This flight got cancelled due to a mechanical problem on the aircraft. Since I would not be able to make connection at FRA if I went on alter flight, United rebooked me for a flight a day later. I am flying tonight on the same route. The question is: Am I eligible for any compensation? BTW, I am local to IAD, so I went home for the night. Thanks for a reply.

izzik Mar 22, 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by skylarnyc (Post 18250459)
Curious to hear fellow FTrs thoughts on this. GA here in sjo just told waiting passengers that the crew is delayed getting here due to bad traffic on the road to the airport. Odd that the passengers seem to have made it on time :rolleyes:
This is the first flight out of the day so all the crew had to do was get out of bed & head to the airport. Seems kind of unprofessional to me; when I have to be at work at a particular time and know others are depending on me, I leave a bit early to be sure of being on time. Doing otherwise implies I could care less about those expecting me. Thoughts ?

are you serious? life happens. get over it.
the crew didn't want to be stuck in traffic...:confused:

UA767400 Mar 22, 2012 7:44 am

Originally Posted by luvsummer (Post 18250461)
I had a confirmed reservation from IAD -FRA-BLR on 3/21. IAD- FRA was on UA 952. This flight got cancelled due to a mechanical problem on the aircraft. Since I would not be able to make connection at FRA if I went on alter flight, United rebooked me for a flight a day later. I am flying tonight on the same route. The question is: Am I eligible for any compensation? BTW, I am local to IAD, so I went home for the night. Thanks for a reply.

This has not happened to me, but my father has had this happen as he was flying to London. However there are two flights a day, and he was able to be rebooked. But, you should be eligible for compensation as it was a mechanical issue as not FAA or weather.

skylarnyc Mar 22, 2012 7:51 am

:pNobody ever wants to get stuck in traffic ; I guess it's a legit excuse for not showing up. I am officially over it.

Beerman92 Mar 22, 2012 7:56 am

I'm assuming the crew was not based in SJO so were staying on a layover at a hotel. If that is indeed the case then United is in charge of the transportation from the hotel to the airport. That includes what time the crew gets picked up.

kwildnj Mar 22, 2012 9:07 am

UA1079 ended up departing with a massive, awful, delay of 23 minutes. With favorable winds, the flight is scheduled to arrive into EWR 6 minutes late.

1079/22MAR
P SJO/OUT 823A L00.23 ☨
P SJO/OFF 833A
P EWR/ETA 317P L00.06

SKED SJO ORIG 800A GTD 5 SHIP 3507
EWR 311P TERM GTA C126

raehl311 Mar 22, 2012 9:20 am

There is one word for booking a once-a-day international flight, with a connection, and expecting to get to your destination on the originally scheduled day:

Stupid.

It's air travel. .... happens. Your connecting flight gets delayed and you miss the next flight, forcing you to wait a full day until the next flight goes. Or the plane has a mechanical, and as they don't tend to just have extra wide-bodies lying around doing nothing, you've got no choice but to wait for them to fix it.

Anyway, next anniversary, don't book your travel to arrive the morning of your anniversary and expect to actually make it. You're rolling the dice.

flyinbob Apr 4, 2012 8:11 pm

Looks Like UA 895 (ORD-HKG) Has A Problem Today 4/4

Looking at FlightAware it looks like 895 was enroute over northern Canada and suddenly made a hard left turn and inbound to either SEA or SFO now.

A friend is supposed to be outbound from HKG in a day or so, but it looks like some irrops upcoming... :(

JackieC2 Apr 4, 2012 8:29 pm

Flt 882 cancelled from NRT-ORD on 4/3. No phone call. I was tracking the flt from the hotel and it showed a 2 1/2 hour delay due to crew rest. Checked a few minutes later and it showed cancelled with no explanation.

The plane was coming from Singapore and it did arrive on time. However 882 was still cancelled. I spent 50 minutes on call to 1K line (think I got the Philippines) which will cost me $100 on my cell ($2 per minute from Tokyo). No compensation offered. Agent struggled to get the changes made in SHARES (no surprise).

Finally got an cancellation email an hour later.

Was able to get on the flt to LAX, then to ORD, then to MLI. Arrived 4 hours later than expected.

JeepGuyDE Apr 4, 2012 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob (Post 18337428)
Looking at FlightAware it looks like 895 was enroute over northern Canada and suddenly made a hard left turn and inbound to either SEA or SFO now.

A friend is supposed to be outbound from HKG in a day or so, but it looks like some irrops upcoming... :(

FlightView indicates diverted to SFO.

kluau88 Apr 4, 2012 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob (Post 18337428)

Diverted to SFO due to Mechanical. Flight will not be continued.

As a result HKG-ORD on April 6 has been cancelled.

April 2 SFO-HKG returned to gate after birdstrike and departed on April 3. Due to that late arrival HKGORD left late on April 4.

Not good week for the jumbos!

JDT1955 Apr 5, 2012 10:58 am

What's up with UA86 EWR-PVG

Looks like it left on time, got as far as New Brunswick, then turned around and is now on its way back to Newark, expected at 15:36.