FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:19 pm
Flyer420

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
fogs in Sydney

Sorry that someone is sitting at BNE when they want to be in SYD, but
this weather pattern is not uncommon flying into Sydney in mid-winter. I think I have been on at least two LAX-SYD UA flights that diverted to BNE for additional fuel and for a landing slot. The issue, as explained to me, was not unlike the SFO on a bad day situation--limits to inbound flights requiring delays in spacing. I recall the last time, the fog was really bad and SYD was in chaos for all concerned. I had to wait in line for 2 hours at Quantas to rebook a connection. Apart from the delay, Australia does not have the policy of the USA that passengers must be disembarked and cleared through immigration and customs at the first point of landing. (Indeed UA through pax to MEL clear customs at MEL.) On a related side issue, this may explain why TATL 757s divert to Newfoundland or Montreal for refueling, since landing at Bangor would require the whole customs, immigration unloading procedures. (I recall many years ago PanAm's LHR-SEA non-stop (of beloved memory alas), had waited on the tarmac at LHR for four hours during a work-to-rule by British air traffic controllers). As a result, they had to refuel and so a 747 full of pax landed at MSP around 1:00 am, and no one could disembark until 3:00 as they had to round up customs and immigration staff from their slumbers to process the plane. Wilkommen in Amerika!!

As I recall, at BNE the UA pax also were not allowed to disembark.

Flyer 420
back from LHR in SEA