Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Numerous service problems with UA during my travels this year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

This year I had thirtythree segments. Five flights were cancelled, 18 flights were delayed up to 2 hrs, 7 severely more than 2 hours, three flights were on time. Right now I am LAX and my NRT flight is delayed for at least three hours due to aircraft servicing. It's taking all the fun out of it for sure.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 17, 2012 at 2:47 am Reason: really, really vague thread title
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A bigger question - any apology emails (and compensation) sent to you? Or has that died along with so many other service-related aspects of the airline...
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A bigger question - any apology emails (and compensation) sent to you? Or has that died along with so many other service-related aspects of the airline...
One one cancellation we got a free hotel and a refund for another flight that we missed and could not complete. Was offered 10k. One cancellation resulted in 30k. The others got nothing although I wrote and asked repeatedly. Nothing for the delays. Let's see if something comes up today. I am hopeful.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Most frustrating for me: got notice that my flight (last of night from IAD to ORD) was cancelled and auto booked me on first flight in the morning. Got a hotel room, then got a text telling me the flight was uncancelled, but I wouldn't have enough time to make it back to the airport...

Funniest for me: yesterdays flight IAD to ORD, several GS lined up early to board, boarding started about 20 minutes late. The GS went on the plane only to be told there was a maintenance issue, and they came back out. Problem fixed and GS board again. Another issue and they had to come back off. They were standing waiting in line for probably an hour+. Why are some folks in such a hurry to get on a plane that they are willing to stand in line for long periods of time? I could understand if it impacted seat assignments.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:55 am

Missing Continental

As with most any change these days, the United merger is yet another unpleasant one unfolding. Oh how I miss the way it was...
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Well, as it turns out UA 891 to NRT was delayed for nearly 4 hours due to technical problems. There was not one word of regret from any gate agent, there was no apology offered on board. When I asked the purser about the form we usually get for delays, broken equipment etc., he said they don't have those anymore and he recommended to log in to the UA survey website. Upon arrival the Japanese agent apologized, seems quite a lot of people had missed their connections.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
When I asked the purser about the form we usually get for delays, broken equipment etc., he said they don't have those anymore and he recommended to log in to the UA survey website.
Think you mean the Appreciation certs - as our business is no longer appreciated unless you're in a YB or up fare, not too surprising they ditched them.

Good luck getting comp from what passes as CS now.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Think you mean the Appreciation certs - as our business is no longer appreciated unless you're in a YB or up fare, not too surprising they ditched them.

Good luck getting comp from what passes as CS now.
Yes, I meant the Appreciation certs. Not holding out much hope for comp
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:02 am

Guess you're not liking "The changes" Mr. Smisek brought? Neither are we for what it's worth.

AD
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Amidst all the griping about the merged airlines, I'd like to offer a happy, if confusing, tale. Today, when I logged into my account, I was greeted with more miles than I recalled having and a line item for "Customer Care Compensation" worth 15K miles. Not sure what this was for, most likely a 2 hour delay out of Sao Paulo last Friday, but that wasn't really United's fault (air traffic controllers "working to rules") and didn't result in a missed connection, so really no harm, no foul. Regardless, I'll just say thank you and note that not every aspect of the merger is heinous!^ Anyone else getting mysterious compensations?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDT1955
Amidst all the griping about the merged airlines, I'd like to offer a happy, if confusing, tale. Today, when I logged into my account, I was greeted with more miles than I recalled having and a line item for "Customer Care Compensation" worth 15K miles. Not sure what this was for, most likely a 2 hour delay out of Sao Paulo last Friday, but that wasn't really United's fault (air traffic controllers "working to rules") and didn't result in a missed connection, so really no harm, no foul. Regardless, I'll just say thank you and note that not every aspect of the merger is heinous!^ Anyone else getting mysterious compensations?
I got 500 unspecified EQM miles put into my account in late February. Still can't figure out where they came from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.