FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324844-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-purchase-day-departure-tod-archive.html)

DELee Feb 1, 2017 10:01 pm

01/26/17: DCA-IAH: $149; didn't take it (but got the last F seat - see below)

Backstory:

Original routing: DCA-EWR-LAX
Final routing: DCA-IAH-LAX

Received call from United at DCA when driving to the airport (about 5 miles away): my DCA-EWR flight (and others) were delayed 2-3 hours so that there weren't any options such that I could make my EWR-LAX flight. Initially, she asked if I could get to IAD but couldn't put me into any better than a E- middle. Since I didn't want that, she then did more searching and found a DCA-IAH-LAX routing and could guarantee me first but only on the IAH-LAX leg. This I accepted.

At the gas station to fill up the rental car, saw that I was in an E- window on the DCA-IAH leg and tried to switch to 21B (E+ exit row but middle). App wouldn't confirm the change. Also saw that I was 1st on the upgrade list but that First Class had checked in full (738). Called 1K desk and they were able to put me into 21B.

Finally got to DCA, dropped of the rental car and checked on the United App - I was still 1st on the upgrade list - but F was no longer full and one seat was open. Checking the reservation, the app offered $149 for the upgrade. I didn't take it. However, when in line at the gate, I and others were still being given the offer. Finally at 5 minutes before boarding, I got the call up to the podium and took the last seat in 1st.

David

thejaredhuang Feb 6, 2017 12:16 am

Is this a record for LAX-ORD?

$2249, LAX-ORD redeye. 1K

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...psywbvu4w3.png

Wooglin Feb 6, 2017 4:31 am

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 27870905)

Wow. What fare are you on?

Kmxu Feb 6, 2017 5:52 am

Pvg-LAX

2/7/2017; asking for $1149 at checkin, booked at L fare. The Business cabin is fairly empty.

cblaisd Feb 6, 2017 7:52 am

No status now.

COS-DEN-SEA

Offer at time of booking (when I was Gold)

COS-DEN $169 (who in their right mind?!?)
DEN-SEA $119

Offer now available when clicking upgrade:

COS-DEN-SEA $200

(only total itin offered for upgrade, not individual segments)

thejaredhuang Feb 6, 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin (Post 27871343)
Wow. What fare are you on?

G, dropped to $429 in the morning.

Hipplewm Feb 6, 2017 11:29 pm

I had a good one

Flying CHS-EWR-HKG-SIN in Polaris business Q fare - GPU to R

Checked in and got a thing on phone to "Upgrade HKG-SIN" for $249 (Only 1 of 8 FC seats booked) - remember I am on a GPU

I tried to take it for S&G - wouldn't let me pay with a E-cert (I had one for $300 that was expiring and almost no chance to use it) - wouldn't let me

Called 1K line - the lady was very nice and got her supervisor on the phone - we all agreed i shouldn't have been offered it, but they asked if I would be their science experiment, I said sure.

Long story short - they processed my upgrade from R to ON using a $300 ecert (No change)

Then they documented everything and submitted a bug report to IT department

Got the same offer on the way back but it was $449 (6 of 8 booked this time) this time (No expiring ecerts though LOL)

rjncmu Feb 7, 2017 5:56 am

Status 1k, Flight- EWR-BOM (Economy to Business):

Offer 1:
Offered an upgrade for approx $2500 by the gate agent on 2/2, 3 hours before the flight. Denied. I asked for a cash upgrade and he thought I wanted to pay hard cash for the upgrade and would not help me till I clarified that all I meant was I wanted to see how much the 'paid upgrade' cost! :rolleyes:

Offer 2:
Offered an upgrade for approx. $1050 on the app 15 minutes before boarding. Denied.

ft4lyf Feb 7, 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by rjncmu (Post 27876179)
Status 1k, Flight- EWR-BOM (Economy to Business):

Offer 1:
Offered an upgrade for approx $2500 by the gate agent on 2/2, 3 hours before the flight. Denied. I asked for a cash upgrade and he thought I wanted to pay hard cash for the upgrade and would not help me till I clarified that all I meant was I wanted to see how much the 'paid upgrade' cost! :rolleyes:

Offer 2:
Offered an upgrade for approx. $1050 on the app 15 minutes before boarding. Denied.

i feel 1050 is a decent price for Y to C on that flight. (however, will depend on how much you paid for the Y ticket.....if you had an expensive economy ticket, 1050 may be a lot for the upgrade).

thomas199023 Feb 7, 2017 7:26 am

LHR-EWR
Economy to BF 499$

Great deal, but I am too cheap

rjncmu Feb 8, 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf (Post 27876440)
i feel 1050 is a decent price for Y to C on that flight. (however, will depend on how much you paid for the Y ticket.....if you had an expensive economy ticket, 1050 may be a lot for the upgrade).

I agree. My original fare was about $1080 for the roundtrip :).

Just upgraded the return flight UA49 using 'buy up' (H to P) for $813.10 :D

aCavalierInCoach Feb 8, 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023 (Post 27876472)
LHR-EWR
Economy to BF 499$

Great deal, but I am too cheap

how full was the C cabin? anyone left stranded on the UGL?

ft4lyf Feb 8, 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by rjncmu (Post 27883444)

^^

BBSHOPSINGER Feb 9, 2017 4:21 pm

2/3 DEN-SLC offered $99 at check-in for both me and my wife. I'm Silver and she has no status. Declined.

2/6 SLC-DEN same offer for return. Two seats left. I took one and offered the seat to my wife. I was more interested in getting the extra PQM and PQS. I did receive 1.5 PQS and 200% PQM. I need all I can get to try to maintain Silver this year.

milypan Feb 9, 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by rjncmu (Post 27883444)

Surely coincidental, but the J seat on that aircraft is 150% larger than the Y+ seat, and the $813 buy up is 150% of the $540 OW Y fare. Their pricing per square foot of cabin space was very consistent.