Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For the first time in 16 1/2 years, no UA status :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:40 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I remember discovering FlyerTalk in June of 2000. By Labor Day weekend, I attained Premier Silver (and even did a mileage run or two in those summer months, back when intra-California segment running was easy and cheap), and Gold by year's end.

Since then, I have variously been 1K, Gold, Platinum, and Silver.

Until today.

The PQD requirement just did me in, when on flights like COS-DEN-XXX the COS-DEN netted a whopping $19 PQD.

I understand why UA went to PQD minimums, but I will miss some of the fantastic people I got to know at every level of UA. And I was overwhelmingly well-treated almost always (and UA staffers more than once went the second and third mile in difficult or unusual situations).

Now will pretty much be burning off accumulated miles, but missing things like same day free SDC, no/cheap award ticket fees, etc. I did get the Explorer Card for the baggage allowance and at least highly theoretical possibly of an upgrade on award tix -- so I will occasionally see all of you from the Group Two line where I will be one of the kazillion people there.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Mazel tov.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Are you close to 1Million Mile status at least?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:34 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Are you close to 1Million Mile status at least?
Sadly, no: 800,363 lifetime miles.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Now you can choose the best airline for your trips...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

True. But there were quite a few years there when, hands down, UA was the best airline for virtually all of my trips, and the extra mile efforts I received over those years from so many staff kept me wanting to fly UA.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cblaisd

Since then, I have variously been 1K, Gold, Platinum, and Silver.

Until today.
Thread title is a bit deceiving, you still have AS MVP

I went from 1K to silver to nothing from 2014 to 2015 to 2016

Don't miss it a bit

today I lost my DL status too. I am still flying mostly SkyTeam this year for personal/logistical reasons and DL's attractive UP fares. but, alas, celebrate your new-found freedom and try some new carriers. even in Y, many of AS partners are pretty decent for international travel.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Thread title is a bit deceiving, you still have AS MVP
Thank goodness! And I'm really enjoying the AS experience for the most part.

(assumed UA would be understood since this is in the UA forum)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I dropped down to Gold from 1K and I am a little sad about it, but I am just going to spend my money where it matters. When I want to be in a front cabin, I'll pay for it.

I will miss getting right through when calling though.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
You should celebrate, your UA handcuff has been unlocked. You are a free man now.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You should celebrate, your UA handcuff has been unlocked. You are a free man now.
^
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd

The PQD requirement just did me in, when on flights like COS-DEN-XXX the COS-DEN netted a whopping $19 PQD.
I've been there before and it actually feels great to be able to fly whoever I want.

Guess you don't have the Presidential Plus card? It waived the PQD requirement for me...and I might end up having Gold this year due to a couple of "P" fares to SJU that I'm taking....much easier than the old time when it's BIS and took too much work...imagine 16,692 for one SFO-EWR-SJU round trip...that's a deal. :-)

These days though, most status doesn't really matter....I do appreciate that United has some very reasonable P fares out there as compared with Delta which is almost 2x or 3x the cost. Rather than deal with CPU or UG Waitlist...I'll just buy the premium cabin fare if it's reasonable enough...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Many benefits can be purchased as needed per flight. Status is overrated these days.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:43 pm

This year I also would not have made elite status for the first time since 1998 due to being just short of the Silver PDQ (despite having flown over 75,000 miles). Thankfully I made it to Million Miler in October, so I'm Gold for life now and never have to chase status again. If I were you I'd hang in there. You're not far from a million miles. Personally I love having lifetime Gold with the E+, occasional upgrades and other perks.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by SFO-SSA
Thankfully I made it to Million Miler in October, so I'm Gold for life now and never have to chase status again. If I were you I'd hang in there. You're not far from a million miles. Personally I love having lifetime Gold with the E+, occasional upgrades and other perks.
Enjoy it while it lasts. It can be easily diluted and deemed worthless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.