Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For the first time in 16 1/2 years, no UA status :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the first time in 16 1/2 years, no UA status :(

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Many benefits can be purchased as needed per flight. Status is overrated these days.
100% agree with the above statement.
Now you can buy the status when you need it. Personally, I went from 1k to PE to MM Gold. Even with the Gold status, I struggle to get to 25K on United not that it matters. It took a while to accept the new freedom but happy I bit the bullet. United wanted to be a biz airline upfront and a LCC in coach. You can't be all things to all people.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by skgolf91
i thought you had to have a status of Silver or higher for a chance to upgrade on award tickets?
True. MP CC's only allow premiers who would otherwise be eligible for CPU on a revenue ticket to be added to the upgrade list on an award which is prioritized after all paid fares within their own status level.

Even if the CC provided an upgrade benefit to GM's traveling on award tickets, it would still be after all paid fares at the GM level. Since almost everyone on board has either status or a CC (judging by the length of BG1/2) I can say with confidence you would probably be #125 or higher on the waitlist
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by Flyer1M
100% agree with the above statement.
Now you can buy the status when you need it. Personally, I went from 1k to PE to MM Gold. Even with the Gold status, I struggle to get to 25K on United not that it matters. It took a while to accept the new freedom but happy I bit the bullet. United wanted to be a biz airline upfront and a LCC in coach. You can't be all things to all people.
I agree 100%.

It also took awhile for me to get used to the fact that I was a loyal customer, but one who usually flew on discounted fares. United wanted/wants high paying customers.

UA is still my first choice, but now I also look elsewhere, and if I I buy a ticket on another airline, I purchase the services I want.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Many benefits can be purchased as needed per flight. Status is overrated these days.
For me, the only thing I get anymore is premium economy on international flights and a free bag. And UA cheapest fare is frequently much more expensive than just buying a prem economy seat and paying for a bag.

I'm still silver but it was a barely, barely last year.

If I can make it to Star Alliance Gold lifetime, that would be nice. I'm about 100,000 miles away. But I strongly suspect UA will screw me on that too either by making it *Silver (which is pretty much worthless on partners) or just getting rid of the perks of the program.

I still, barely, have a preference for UA. But its a slight one. If I'm in your shoes next year, I'll be fine with that.

---

I've flown La Compaigne to Europe (apparently I'm lucky with that airline - others have had bad experiences) and have chosen to fly Spirit and pay for a big front seat domestically from time to time.

I was willing to pay more and significantly so on UA and CO. But what's the point nowadays? There's no real benefit anymore to flying UA as an elite vs simply paying LESS to fly in a better seat on another airline.

---

From Silver to nothing....there really isn't much benefit there. Gold still has some useable benefits.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Feb 2, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I remember discovering FlyerTalk in June of 2000. By Labor Day weekend, I attained Premier Silver (and even did a mileage run or two in those summer months, back when intra-California segment running was easy and cheap), and Gold by year's end.

Since then, I have variously been 1K, Gold, Platinum, and Silver.

Until today.

The PQD requirement just did me in, when on flights like COS-DEN-XXX the COS-DEN netted a whopping $19 PQD.

I understand why UA went to PQD minimums, but I will miss some of the fantastic people I got to know at every level of UA. And I was overwhelmingly well-treated almost always (and UA staffers more than once went the second and third mile in difficult or unusual situations).

Now will pretty much be burning off accumulated miles, but missing things like same day free SDC, no/cheap award ticket fees, etc. I did get the Explorer Card for the baggage allowance and at least highly theoretical possibly of an upgrade on award tix -- so I will occasionally see all of you from the Group Two line where I will be one of the kazillion people there.
I see you are a Hilton Diamond, do you have Platinum status w/Marriott?

I missed Silver for the first time in 20+ years, but didnt worry about it because my Platinum on Marriott qualified me for United Silver!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
No, don't have Plat with Marriott.

But maybe I'll see if a status match is possible!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

that would be an awesome test of "the system".

I didnt even know about RewardsPlus, even with the Platinum on Marriott. I found out about it here.

If you get it, link your accounts right away and keep us posted!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFnFlaGuy
...Guess you don't have the Presidential Plus card?
I DID have it for a year (via a no-fee signup) and canceled it six months before the PQD requirements and PP waiver were announced. Kicked myself. Tried to get it reinstated, but no joy.

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Someone with 1K or GS gift cblaisd UA status! ^

Why? Because cblaisd does so much for FT!
Aw, thanks. :blush:

Originally Posted by Phil Level
I'm curious if OP will start getting TOD offers now.
I'll be curious too. Often scratched my head at some of my time-of-booking offers as a Plat/Gold: E.g., COS-DEN-SEA, offer was $169 for the DEN-SEA leg and $269 for the COS-DEN leg!

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Who is going to get your paid flying, and why?
Mostly AS. Did more DL and AA last year, particularly on routes where the buy-up to 100% AS-mile earning fares were cheap (not all routes, but some seem often to be). Of course the DL option ends May 1.

Originally Posted by skgolf91
i thought you had to have a status of Silver or higher for a chance to upgrade on award tickets?
You're right. My bad.

Originally Posted by caseminole
that would be an awesome test of "the system".
Judging from the reports at statusmatcher.com I'm not even going to try to get a status match to Marriott Platinum from my Hilton Diamond; looks like they only do challenges.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm with you. I held United status constantly from 2004-2014, lost status in 2014, got it back in 2015 and held it through 2016 but now I'm back to no status. It's increasingly hard to make United work living in the Southeast when Delta and American are so strong here. Last year the only time United would make any sense was when they had fare sales to Chicago and of course you can't easily keep status these days flying $139 round trips
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: 1K
Congrats! It is liberating, huh? I'm 1K this year but am proactively booking other airlines solely based on the product and price. I'm hoping to be in your position next year. Will still probably burn a Gold or Plat nomination on myself since it probably wouldn't go to anyone else (and I love the SDC).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hookthem
Congrats! It is liberating, huh?
I do really miss, though, the free SDC.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If I were that close to MM and had the PQM, I would spend the 25K on Chase to waive PQD. One could even manufacture spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.