Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Farelock
Preserve your fare and your peace of mind.FareLock℠ lets you hold your reserved fare and complete the purchase of your itinerary at a later time. Enjoy peace of mind that the price of your itinerary won't go up and that the flight won't sell out while you take your time with your purchase. Available only through united.com, the United app and the Customer Contact Center, FareLock allows you to reserve an itinerary and then complete your purchase later.

Itineraries can be held with FareLock for your choice of either three, seven or 14 days. The price of your itinerary is guaranteed during the hold period, until you decide to complete your purchase.
A FareLock is a reservation for space pending ticketing.

Why is farelock not offered at times?
FareLock is available on select flights operated by United and United Express (Star Alliance® flights and marketed codeshare flights are not eligible).
Also, only fares that would be valid at the future purchase time, such as due to advance purchase (AP) requirements, can be farelocked. So if looking at 21 day AP ticket, 22 days before the applicable segment neither a 3 day or 7 day farelock will be available.

FareLock is available on flights operated by United and United Express® only, and the charge is per reservation. FareLock is also offered for both Saver and Everyday Award tickets on United- and United Express-operated flights.

Farelock fees are not refunded even under the 24 hour ticket cancellation rule.

Fareock reservations cannot be changed until after you have purchased the reservation.

If you do not purchase your ticket before your Farelock period expires, your reservation will be canceled unless you have selected the automatic purchase option. The 24 hour cancellation clock does not start until the actual purchase is made.

Caveats

Per the CoC, UA reserves the right to cancel reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities. There have been multiple reports of UA exercising this option to cancel duplicate FareLock segments conflicting with either another FareLock reservation or with a ticketed reservation, often making the remainder of the FareLock (if any) unticketable. Generally, unticketed segments will be canceled over ticketed segments, and older bookings will be canceled over more recent bookings if ticket status is identical. UA does not automatically refund the FareLock service charge if this happens, but it is possible to call in and ask for the refund.

You can purchase your Farelock online using Payment methods (credit card, for example), and there's an option button for CERTIFICATES. Note that this seems to only allow ETC and not FFC (future flight credit vs. "certificate" which have a 10-digit number). You *may* be able to call United and have an agent convert your FFC into an ETC and then apply that to the Farelock so you can purchase over the phone, but this is not guaranteed.

Archive thread: Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jandrastek
Last night I locked a fare on United's website for 3 days. I received no confirmation number from Untied in reply. Actually, I received nothing from United confirming I made the FareLock--my understanding is that one should receive a confirmation number, so you can go back to the flight and complete it if one wants to follow-through with the FareLock. I tried calling iUnited, but of course there is a 2.5 hour wait time because of weather issues. After some investigation, the only thing I can find is the receipt of FareLock purchase, but I cannot use the receipt number in any fashion (and yes, prices for the same flight have gone up in the last 24 hours). So my question, how can I retrieve the FareLock quoted flight and complete the purchase of the ticket tied to the FareLock?
Actually I purchased a Farelock and did not get anything either - no email, nothing. However I was logged in my UA account, so I can see the Farelock booking. So I assume you did the Farelock as a guest?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Tennen
Are there still issues with applying TravelBank, ETCs, and/or FFCs to a FareLock reservation?
Did you figure out how to apply the Travel Bank balance to a Farelock booking? I could not figure out so far.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by jandrastek
Last night I locked a fare on United's website for 3 days. I received no confirmation number from Untied in reply. Actually, I received nothing from United confirming I made the FareLock--my understanding is that one should receive a confirmation number, so you can go back to the flight and complete it if one wants to follow-through with the FareLock.
Originally Posted by jboy_103
Actually I purchased a Farelock and did not get anything either - no email, nothing. However I was logged in my UA account, so I can see the Farelock booking. So I assume you did the Farelock as a guest?
Same here. I didn't get any emails from UA. Luckily, I was signed into my UA account and as per habit, printed out the page with the confirmation number to a PDF. When I didn't see the email, I went back in and emailed the itinerary to myself. It's mind-boggling that they don't send any confirmation for a FareLock reservation.

Did you figure out how to apply the Travel Bank balance to a Farelock booking? I could not figure out so far.
I haven't purchased my FareLock booking yet. I'm waiting for the July Chase IHG credit to post first. Based on experiences upthread (and WineCountryUA 's suggestions), trying different contact methods (calling, Twitter, chat, etc.) seems to do the trick if there are any issues. Of course, it would be 100x better if we could do it online ourselves... Hopefully, ticketing fees are waived.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:52 pm

I haven't purchased my FareLock booking yet. I'm waiting for the July Chase IHG credit to post first. Based on experiences upthread (and WineCountryUA 's suggestions), trying different contact methods (calling, Twitter, chat, etc.) seems to do the trick if there are any issues. Of course, it would be 100x better if we could do it online ourselves... Hopefully, ticketing fees are waived.
I am not going to waste hours just to apply the $25 IHG credit (my Travel Bank balance is from IHG CC too). Not worth it. Last time, I was able to apply the Travel Credit directly when paying for the booking (direct, not Farelock)
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Premier Gold, Pan Am WorldPass (disc.), Hertz Gold, IHC Gold Elite, Marriott Plat. Elite
United's 'Reservation Hold' Policy

What are the rules that cover holding a reservation made on United.com? I am planning a domestic trip in approx. 6 weeks.

I realize that there is a cost involved in holding a res., but I wonder how far out in the future must it be, is there a minimum airfare required, a certain Class that must be booked, etc.

Thanks for any info/advice you can offer!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA offers Farelocks on all UA itins (not available if a non-UA operatored segment is included) -- generally 3 days, 7 days and 14 days. Any fare can be farelocked but the farelock can not extended past the fare expiration date. So at times you may see just 3 day or 7 day farelock or none if the fare expiration is soon.

Farelock fees are non-refundable whether purchased or not.

Seat reservation can be made at the time of the Farelock.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Are you talking about holding a reservation, which has no cost, or farelock, which does? Confusing terminology in your post.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Are you talking about holding a reservation, which has no cost, or farelock, which does? Confusing terminology in your post.
UA refers to a farelock as "holding your reservation" , "FareLock℠ lets you hold your reserved fare " or "Use FareLock℠ to hold a seat on your flight for a set price."
While TA's can "hold" a UA reservation for free, individuals cannot (use to, with the pay at ticket office option but that is long gone).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:24 pm

Ok, now that I've gone through the process, I have to agree with jboy_103 . It wasn't worth the time or the effort to try to apply TravelBank cash to a FareLock reservation. Things might be different if you're a Premier and have access to experienced and/or competent agents, but for those without status, it's a hard no.

Both the phone and the chat agents were completely useless. This was the common phrase: "You can't use TravelBank to pay for FareLock fees." Yeah, thanks for telling me what I already know and told you I wasn't trying to do. Other ridiculous suggestions: you need to have your UA MP number added (didn't help), you're confusing it with travel credits (umm, NO), your TravelBank will automatically apply when you pay (yeah, right), just cancel and rebook (uh, what's the point of the FareLock if the fare's gone?), etc.

I kind of regret spending $ on FareLock, but now I know better. Fortunately, fares on other airlines dropped so I'm still ahead by booking elsewhere. I'm amazed that FareLock messes up UA IT. No confirmation email, inability to use multiple payment methods, and no cancellation email. It doesn't even appear in My Trips under the "canceled" tab. One thing I did notice was that my original fare was gone pre-cancellation, but it did return (albeit with a slightly modified itin). Fare classes went from 0 to 1.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:39 pm

...It doesn't even appear in My Trips under the "canceled" tab. ....
It was never purchase, hence never cancelled. It was a farelock / a fare hold that expired. Understand what farelock is and it is a handy feature.
TB is another handle feature but with limited application.

But yes, TB and farelock don't work well together -- but that is document in the forum.

What other carrier does this better?
For a variety of reasons, IT for airlines are older, extremely complex systems and new adds-on are add-ons. airlines don't have the benefit brand new, grounf up IT, so don't expect much better from other carriers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was never purchase, hence never cancelled. It was a farelock / a fare hold that expired. Understand what farelock is and it is a handy feature.
TB is another handle feature but with limited application.

But yes, TB and farelock don't work well together -- but that is document in the forum.
Yes, I should've listened to the advice/experiences in this thread, so that's on me. Still, I was hoping that the phone/chat workaround would've worked for me, too.

As for not appearing in My Trips, that still doesn't explain the complete lack of confirmation/cancellation/receipt emails. IMHO, that's a problem.

What other carrier does this better?
For a variety of reasons, IT for airlines are older, extremely complex systems and new adds-on are add-ons. airlines don't have the benefit brand new, grounf up IT, so don't expect much better from other carriers.
Trust me, even with this experience, every time I use other airlines (esp. European), it makes me appreciate major US carriers' IT. It's amazing how far ahead their technology is compared to others. But if UA offers a new product/service, they should be able to make it work. At the very least, they should fix/address issues that arise. TravelBank + FareLock might not be a priority, but the FareLock emails should be.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:43 pm

.... FareLock emails should be.
Never have had an issue with Farelock emails and even get an email warning of expiration. There are a number of possibilities for the email issues.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Never have had an issue with Farelock emails and even get an email warning of expiration. There are a number of possibilities for the email issues.
I did Farelock when logged in, no email, nothing. Luckily since I was logged in, it shows in my UA account.

AA does better - they offer 24 hrs free HOLD, and if you book you still get 24 hrs free cancellation.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:24 pm

AA does better - they offer 24 hrs free HOLD, and if you book you still get 24 hrs free cancellation.
Two days is better than 3, 7 days or 14 days? They are different (as the UA has fee -- but the UA is significantly longer. so in the narrow case of not needing more than 2 days, advantage AA. however, in the 3-14 day case, advantage UA.
UA also provides 24 hours after booking free cancellation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 11, 2023 at 3:47 pm Reason: double word
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:12 am

Just an FYI (I may add a YMMV to the Wiki):

I had a farelock for 7 days for a domestic one-way First class ticket ($608 only on Google, as UA site didn't list the flight at all and wanted $755 for next "cheapest").
I had TravelBank funds, and an ETC.
I converted the Travelbank to an FFC by booking a slightly more expensive ticket (than the Travelbank) and waiting 24 hours and then cancelling.
I booked a second slightly more (than the ETC - but in hindsight I should've left this one alone), and waiting 24 hours and then cancelling.

Thus, having two FFC now.
But on the purchase for Farelock, you can only Electronic Tickets (ETC), and not use FFC. But I saw a posting in another thread and called UA reservations. Very nice agent basically explained you cannot use FFC for farelock, but it might be possible for her to combine and then convert to an ETC. After about 15-20 minutes she was able to do that and ticket was purchased.

However, she did make it clear there was no guarantee to be able to convert the FFC to an ETC.

So it *can* be done, but no guarantees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.