FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1321531-farelock-questions-answers-experiences.html)

bman1002 Feb 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences

I keep on getting farelock notifications even after I have purchased the fare. I assume it is yet another IT bug.

Phil Level Feb 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by bman1002 (Post 30784664)
I keep on getting farelock notifications even after I have purchased the fare. I assume it is yet another IT bug.

Yup. me too, and I bought the ticket... and just received an email the Farelock has expired, but the ticket, with same PNR, is showing in my current reservations.

emcampbe Mar 9, 2019 9:30 pm

So, I noticed something I hadn't before. Not sure if this is purposeful, or a glitch, or something else.

Had been checking prices on a domestic flight to EWR for me and the fam, who are 2 adults, a toddler, and a lap infant. Usually, I now try to book the lap infant at the same time, despite the occasional ticketing issues that I have to call into resolve, I find it's easier than having to call in after ticketing to get the infant added, spell their name over the phone, give their birthdate, then give them all my information again because inevitably, whenever I add a lap infant on the phone, it always deletes the Secure flight info. of the parent that's attached to the child (have no idea why...but its consistent). Anyhow, I also noticed that the farelock on this particular itinerary was about $5 more with the lap infant added than without (even though as a domestic flight, the infant doesn't get a ticket and doesn't pay anything). So just thought I would make people aware.

Seeing this, I re-searched the itinerary without the lap infant, farelocked at the lower price, and then will call in after purchase to get the infant on. I suspect this isn't intentional, but either very low priority to fix, or something they don't really know about.

misterfuss Apr 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Farelock reminder after purchase bug still active.

Originally Posted by Phil Level (Post 30825540)
Yup. me too, and I bought the ticket... and just received an email the Farelock has expired, but the ticket, with same PNR, is showing in my current reservations.

I purchased fare locked airfares yesterday for me and my spouse on separate pnrs since our outbound flights are on different days. The original expiration date for the fare lock is tomorrow. Tonight we both got an email reminder from United regarding the fare lock. We both also put in for miles plus copay upgrades as a point of information.

malgudi Jun 9, 2019 7:59 pm

I just got a fake farelock expiration mail with some weird dates .. never used Farelock nor am I traveling to the destinations listed in the mail (nothing in my account as well).

That, and I haven't figured my schedule yet for 1/12/0001

Depart 1/12/0001 Return 7/12/0001
Called UA, they didn't know either :rolleyes:

slickvik Oct 1, 2019 8:37 am

I’m seeing farelock on itineraries with other carriers involved. Is this a new thing?

emcampbe Oct 1, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 31582496)
I’m seeing farelock on itineraries with other carriers involved. Is this a new thing?

either that, or a bug.

are the partner flights codeshares with a UA flight number, or marketed by the partner as well?

slickvik Oct 1, 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31582577)
either that, or a bug.

are the partner flights codeshares with a UA flight number, or marketed by the partner as well?

Copa but not marketed as UA flights

eagle007 Oct 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Farelock as a prediction tool

Hi all, has anyone tried using Farelock as a prediction tool? As in: "If farelock is offered, then you know the price of the flight is not going to go down in the x days". United knows whether pricing is going to go down or up within a 7 day period, so they don't offer it otherwise.

WineCountryUA Oct 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by eagle007 (Post 31645553)
Hi all, has anyone tried using Farelock as a prediction tool? As in: "If farelock is offered, then you know the price of the flight is not going to go down in the x days". United knows whether pricing is going to go down or up within a 7 day period, so they don't offer it otherwise.

That is not the way fares or farelock works.

The most common reason you see a fare price change is a fare class inventory goes to zero and the new price is due to a higher-priced fare class -- it is not the airline changing the "pricing" for the present fare class.

Farelock may not be offered if the fare rule expires or will not meet advance purchased requirements.

mozilla Oct 19, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm not that much a fan of FareLock anymore, but when I was, I saw fares going both up and down with an active FareLock for the same itinerary. As WineCountryUA pointed out, this was due to changing availability.

I've even seen fares going up because of the FareLock itself. FareLock creates an unticketed reservation in the system, for which it does pull inventory.

eagle007 Oct 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31645674)
That is not the way fares or farelock works.

The most common reason you see a fare price change is a fare class inventory goes to zero and the new price is due to a higher-priced fare class -- it is not the airline changing the "pricing" for the present fare class.

Farelock may not be offered if the fare rule expires or will not meet advance purchased requirements.

That's interesting, I thought the distribution was more like 60% fare bucket being used and 40% fare changing - esp as you get in that 6 week window. You would know, so you're saying it is more like 80% inventory being used?

emcampbe Oct 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by eagle007 (Post 31671941)
That's interesting, I thought the distribution was more like 60% fare bucket being used and 40% fare changing - esp as you get in that 6 week window. You would know, so you're saying it is more like 80% inventory being used?

i don’t think anyone can tell you that. There are many reasons fares change. Sometimes, the airline sells out of the inventory and so goes to the next bucket. Sometimes, they sell the inventory, then replace it so the same fare re-appears. Sometimes, they add or pull a fare, in either a higher or lower bucket, meaning the fare goes up or down. Sometimes there is inventory, but not a fare filed, then they do. Sometimes, there is a fare filed but no inventory. Sometimes, inventory is available on a nonstop but not when ‘married’ from your origin - sometimes it’s the opposite. Many reasons fares can go up or down, and Im sure the data could be pulled to give an aggregate percentage, but I’d guess it wouldn’t mean anything in practice since it’s going to vary so much by route, date, etc.

in other words, fares/inventory change all the time, for various reasons. Farelock is not going to be a predictor of any of this. IME, anyway, farelock is pretty consistently offered at booking as long as it’s all UA/UAX metal.

Kacee Oct 27, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by eagle007 (Post 31671941)

What do you mean by "fare changing"? Fares will rise as you pass through the various AP requirements. Apart from changes attributable to that, within six weeks of departure is when you are even more likely to see inventory driven changes.

PrivatePilot Feb 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Can you apply PlusPoints to a Farelock if there is confirmed space?