FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1321531-farelock-questions-answers-experiences.html)

jrquad Apr 16, 2021 5:38 pm

I found that they will do it on the phone via a re-issue, but if the cost has gone up you have to pay for the new fare price. I was not able to do it on the web site.

Miles Ahead Apr 16, 2021 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by jrquad (Post 33183145)
I found that they will do it on the phone via a re-issue, but if the cost has gone up you have to pay for the new fare price. I was not able to do it on the web site.

This is a definition of "Fare Lock" of which I was previously unaware.

mozilla Apr 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by misterfuss (Post 33182806)
Just to clarify that I definitely was NOT given the opportunity to apply travel credits when I went to purchase the itinerary. I was only offered Credit/Debit card or PayPal.

There seem to be some bugs when using the FareLock.

Created random domestic itinerary in Economy with seat add-ons, chose the 14-day FareLock, went to check-out, TCVA options did not appear as expected.
Went back and changed Farelock to "Purchase Now". TCVA payment options did appear, as expected.
Went back and changed Purchase Now to Farelock with Automatic Purchase Option. TCVA payment options did not appear, as expected. At this point, it forgot the seat assignment in the cart.
​​​​​​Went back and changed Farelock with APO to "Purchase Now" (still quoting the price with seat assignments, although they're actually no longer in the cart). TCVA payment options did NOT re-appear, saying "Based on your current travel options, travel certificates and United®TravelBank cash are not available."

Did you select the APO?

misterfuss Apr 17, 2021 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 33183519)
There seem to be some bugs when using the FareLock.

Created random domestic itinerary in Economy with seat add-ons, chose the 14-day FareLock, went to check-out, TCVA options did not appear as expected.
Went back and changed Farelock to "Purchase Now". TCVA payment options did appear, as expected.
Went back and changed Purchase Now to Farelock with Automatic Purchase Option. TCVA payment options did not appear, as expected. At this point, it forgot the seat assignment in the cart.
​​​​​​Went back and changed Farelock with APO to "Purchase Now" (still quoting the price with seat assignments, although they're actually no longer in the cart). TCVA payment options did NOT re-appear, saying "Based on your current travel options, travel certificates and United®TravelBank cash are not available."

Did you select the APO?

I didn’t select the APO. I purchased the 2 week Farelock and thankfully decided to purchase it 3 days before the expiration. That gave me enough time to get it purchased considering all the hoops we had to go through (me and the helpful agents.)

A data point regarding seats that may or may not be significant is that I didn’t have the opportunity to select seats when I made the initial reservation. I went back into the Farelocked PNR and was then able to select seats as I am Premier Gold.

Now, hopefully I will be able to travel to Portugal in July. (I had read that Portugal and Greece were trying to open up to vaccinated travelers when I booked these flights.)

AnonymousPerson Apr 27, 2021 8:30 pm

Farelock

Can anyone tell me what a charge on a confirmation email would be for "Farelock"? Note it is NOT "FareLock" the way United usually formats it, but "Farelock".

WineCountryUA Apr 27, 2021 9:47 pm

Welcome to FT!, AnonymousPerson

Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson (Post 33210598)
Can anyone tell me what a charge on a confirmation email would be for "Farelock"? ...

A charge for Farelock? I have seen values from 5 to $20+ usually ending in .99

Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson (Post 33210598)
... Note it is NOT "FareLock" the way United usually formats it, but "Farelock".

Are you concerned with the lower case "l"?

Or you concerned this something besides the traditional FareLock?

Did you do a FareLock?

I'm having difficult understanding the concern?

misterfuss May 1, 2021 12:05 am

Originally Posted by misterfuss (Post 33184152)
I didn’t select the APO. I purchased the 2 week Farelock and thankfully decided to purchase it 3 days before the expiration. That gave me enough time to get it purchased considering all the hoops we had to go through (me and the helpful agents.)

A data point regarding seats that may or may not be significant is that I didn’t have the opportunity to select seats when I made the initial reservation. I went back into the Farelocked PNR and was then able to select seats as I am Premier Gold.

Now, hopefully I will be able to travel to Portugal in July. (I had read that Portugal and Greece were trying to open up to vaccinated travelers when I booked these flights.)

Well, tonight I checked my flights to Portugal and see that there's a schedule change again. This time it appears that they are no longer planning on flying to OPO. I called United and got my flights refunded to Travel Credits since that was the form of payment for this trip. The expiration date for these credits is two years from today. Since I purchased Farelock prior to purchasing these tickets, am I entitled to a refund of the Farelock charge since UA canceled the route?

Thank you.

misterfuss

misterfuss May 2, 2021 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by misterfuss (Post 33218111)
Well, tonight I checked my flights to Portugal and see that there's a schedule change again. This time it appears that they are no longer planning on flying to OPO. I called United and got my flights refunded to Travel Credits since that was the form of payment for this trip. The expiration date for these credits is two years from today. Since I purchased Farelock prior to purchasing these tickets, am I entitled to a refund of the Farelock charge since UA canceled the route?

Thank you.

misterfuss

I submitted my refund request with my explanation of why I should be refunded the Farelock fee since United canceled. I received an email this morning that the refund was processed and I should see it in 7-10 business days.

mre2b9 Jul 12, 2021 11:02 am

Originally Posted by lskohn (Post 19517137)
I was able to get this done, but only with heavy phone intervention. My Fare Lock had already been extended several times to deal with a paper-to-ecert conversion problem with the cancelled-flight-credit, so I was doing everything by phone for that reservation. Whatever the agent and her supervisor were ultimately able to do to apply the cancelled-ticket credit to the Fare Locked PNR may have been on an exception basis.. . so it's possible, but I'm not sure how!

Any current information on whether it is possible to purchase a farelocked resv'n with a flight credit?

FLLUAFlyer Jul 12, 2021 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mre2b9 (Post 33401081)
Any current information on whether it is possible to purchase a farelocked resv'n with a flight credit?

Yes, you can purchase a fare locked reservation with a Flight Credit or ETC. I had 5 FFCs from cancelled trips in 2020 that the Agent was able to transform to ETCs which could then be used to purchase a my fare locked reservation. But you have to do it over the phone with an agent, since the online system does not give you that option.

simmang Jul 21, 2021 6:29 pm

I reserved an itinerary for 2 passengers with FareLock a few days ago and chose the option to auto purchase when the FareLock expires. Today I noticed that the FareLock expired and it did not auto ticket. It just vanished. I had received no confirmation e-mail and there was no history on my profile to even reference it.

I called in and the agent was able to find and reinstate it if I purchased right away, which I did. I got an eTicket summary via e-mail, but it only shows 1 ticket (even though there are two of us). Furthermore, the reservation did not show up in my trips on the app or website. When I manually type in the confirmation number to the website, it pulls everything up with two passengers and our status just like a normal reservation. But it won't show up automatically in ours apps, and when I click e-mail receipt, it only sends for one ticket, even though we are on the same PNR.

Should I be worried or is this some weird FareLock glitch?

dkc192 Aug 29, 2021 7:08 am

Anyone encountered a schedule change on a Farelock-ed itinerary? If so, does the schedule change policy apply, as if you had a confirmed ticket (and can thus rebook onto different flights without paying additional fare)? I would assume not, and in that case, any chance the Farelock fee can be refunded?

WineCountryUA Aug 29, 2021 9:30 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 33527258)
.... in that case, any chance the Farelock fee can be refunded?

Others have

kharma99 Oct 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Purchased Farelock reservation but reservation has disappeared?

I purchased a 7 day farelock and went ahead and purchased the tickets in the app on the 7th day before the farelock expired. Immediately got a confirmation in the app (with #). Now everything has disappeared from the app (most likely after the farelock expired) and still haven’t received any kind of email confirmation. The confirmation # doesn’t bring anything up.

I do see a pending charge on my CC and I did take a screenshot of the confirmation just in case (which is the only thing I have because there is not trace of any of this anywhere).

Is this normal? Does it take a while before the reservations are processed? Thanks

WineCountryUA Oct 27, 2021 1:53 pm

What timeframe are we talking? minutes, hours , days, ...