FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1321531-farelock-questions-answers-experiences.html)

FlyinMoose May 17, 2023 9:16 am

Have you tried a different browser?

MatthewLAX May 17, 2023 9:37 am

So this happened to me once. I kept going back and doing it again...and then I found it issued the ticket four times! (creating new PNRs)

Check your "My Trips" and see if the ticket has actually been issued.

John MacCalman May 17, 2023 9:38 am

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat (Post 35257126)
Call the Premier desk and have them transfer you to IT. That’s what I’ve done whenever I’ve had payment issues online. Hope it gets resolved swiftly!

Brilliant! Called the Premier line and a delightful agent Rosetta based in Houston had it sorted and ticketed in minutes. Most excellent service. I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks

WineCountryUA May 17, 2023 10:42 am

A new FT rule, a variation of HUCA, if one customer channel (phone, twitter, FB, chat, ...) does not work, try another.

Boraxo May 17, 2023 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by John MacCalman (Post 35257121)
I have a ticket held under UA's Fare Lock - LHR-LAX-LAS-SFO-LHR. The lock expires in 24 hours.
I tried to confirm it and pay in full, but when I hit the payment button, the payment option for input of credit card flashes up on the screen briefly and then it goes blank.

had a similar problem - could not get drop down payment menu that would enable me to use ETCs or travelbank. Seems to be a glitch with Fare Lock as these options appear when booking from scratch.

A phone agent ticketed the itinerary but the ETC was not applied. After 20min hold she canceled and reticketed. She said it was the same fare but was actually $50 higher 😡 however she refunded the Farelock fee so not worth getting agitated.

I am a frequent user of fare lock but may have to reconsider until I use up all my UA scrip

oneshane Jun 22, 2023 10:16 am

Question about using Farelock to pay to hold flights using miles...

Does it save specific seats or just the fare? The only thing I can enter without selecting the "Hold with Farelock" button is the passenger information. (i.e. No seat selection available yet.)

Background:
I'm trying to book some fairly last minute tickets by transferring Chase points to United. Everything I read said it was instantaneous so once I knew which airport I needed to fly into, I selected a flight and transferred points and they didn't show. Then I got an email from Chase saying they started the transfer and would email me when it was complete. That was yesterday. Still no points. I called Chase today and was told sometimes it just takes a while and it can be up to seven days.

In the meantime, the miles required for the fare I wanted (AMS - SFO, direct flight, premium economy) have doubled. So I'm looking at non-direct flights now and thinking I should lock it in, but am traveling with a teen and want to insure we have seats together. So I'm hoping that by locking it in we could also choose seats.

WineCountryUA Jun 22, 2023 10:28 am

Welcome to FT!, oneshane

Yes, Farelock allows you to select and hold a seat assignment.

As far as the Chase points transfer time, see How long are Chase UR to United transfers currently taking?
and
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...y-instant.html

Experiences are immediately to a week.

oneshane Jun 22, 2023 11:16 am

Thanks for the info!

Based on the threads you linked and that I can "lock in" seat choices, it looks like I'll be using Farelock.

It's a little frustrating because even Chase's email about my points being pending says most requests are instantaneous. But my bad for not doing a deeper internet dive - it might have still happened but at least I'd have known to expect it.

oneshane Jun 22, 2023 11:01 pm

In case anyone is following, my point transfer came in tonight. So it was more than 24 hours but less than 36. (And I didn't Farelock since there are plenty of less desirable options at decent rates.)

Tennen Jun 24, 2023 1:47 pm

FareLock + TravelBank?

Are there still issues with applying TravelBank, ETCs, and/or FFCs to a FareLock reservation? I'm hoping to use the $25 TravelBank credit from the Chase IHG card, but those won't get deposited for at least a week. While I can use the expiring $25 in my account now, the next round will otherwise expire unused. Might as well try to use them both if I can.

I'm inclined to go through with the FareLock, primarily because the fare class inventory is only 1~2 on each flight. If they somehow add more and the fare goes down, great for me! If not (since the reservation will presumably take away that space), I'll still be ahead, even with the FareLock fee.

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat (Post 35257126)
Call the Premier desk and have them transfer you to IT. That’s what I’ve done whenever I’ve had payment issues online. Hope it gets resolved swiftly!

FWIW, if I have to call UA to use my TravelBank credits, I have no MP status. Is this still an option for us lowly folks? :D (edited to add: Would the phone booking fee apply?)

Edited to add:
If the fare does drop, what's the best way to go about booking and ticketing it? From the wiki (and the terms), duplicates/conflicts are subject to cancellation. Ideally, I'd like to ticket the cheaper fare before canceling the FareLock one. Is that a possibility?

TIA!

jandrastek Jun 27, 2023 8:02 pm

How to find my FareLock on United

Last night I locked a fare on United's website for 3 days. I received no confirmation number from Untied in reply. Actually, I received nothing from United confirming I made the FareLock--my understanding is that one should receive a confirmation number, so you can go back to the flight and complete it if one wants to follow-through with the FareLock. I tried calling iUnited, but of course there is a 2.5 hour wait time because of weather issues. After some investigation, the only thing I can find is the receipt of FareLock purchase, but I cannot use the receipt number in any fashion (and yes, prices for the same flight have gone up in the last 24 hours). So my question, how can I retrieve the FareLock quoted flight and complete the purchase of the ticket tied to the FareLock?

WineCountryUA Jun 27, 2023 8:09 pm

is the fee pending on your credit card?

jandrastek Jun 27, 2023 8:15 pm

No. The fee has already been applied to my credit card. It also shows up in "Find your receipt" option on both the app and website.

...but...without the confirmation number. So I cannot complete the purchase.

jboy_103 Jun 27, 2023 8:55 pm

User Travel Bank balance for a ticket on Farelock

I have a small balance in UA Travel Bank that is expiring soon. I also currently have a booking on Farelock - however I could not figure out how to apply the Travel Bank balance to the booking if I chose to purchase the ticket. Under payment option I only saw Credit Card and Certificate (which is NOT Travel Bank, rather previous canceled ticket, etc.)

I googled a bit and did not find much. Do you know if there is any way to apply the Travel Bank balance to the Farelock ticket when I purchase it?

WineCountryUA Jun 27, 2023 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by jandrastek (Post 35368396)
No. The fee has already been applied to my credit card. It also shows up in "Find your receipt" option on both the app and website.

...but...without the confirmation number. So I cannot complete the purchase.

Did you select auto-purchase?

Hopefully the phone lines will settle down soon.