Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm still convinced that instrument upgrades are a large cause of the decline in CPUs, and that the upgrade waitlist as shown on the mobile site does not take into account instrument upgrades in the ranking.

So what happens is 2P on a miles upgrade trumps a 1K's CPU, but in the waitlist ranking it is only sorted by status/fare code.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
The policy is that no TOD's are offered until all elites are upgraded (per UAInsider postings PM). An elite should not get an offer (except for a legitimate buy-up to an instant upgrade fare) since they will get or have gotten a complimentary upgrade. If this policy is followed, I find it hard to like any other idea that elites should be offered TOD buy-ups.

On this thread, we are concerned that the policy is not being honored (computer glitch or corporate malfeasance?), and are looking for examples to provide to UA.

To know of a policy violation, we need to know the flight # and fare class, the amount of the offer, and whether at least one elite was not upgraded. The offer must be less than the difference of the fare paid (one way for segment involved only) to the lowest Y/B/M fare. And remember, there may be plenty of non-elites left on the upgrade standby list (non-revs).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Upon check-in, I was offered to upgrade from Y coach to Global First for $3,999. IAD-DXB

I have heard of single class paid upgrades but never double. I declined.
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Wow...Never seen the double offered....that price is pretty steep...If that was a R/T price, then that is a "reasonable" deal....

I am surprised I haven't seen this clip anywhere around....yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWqdk48iJ2E

Just waiting for Nicholas Cage and John Malkovich to make an appearance!!
A few days ago I was offered Y-F NRT-SFO for $4399....o/w. After laughing I declined.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I personally no longer trust the new entity, its management, UA Insider, or any other part of this organization.
+1
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Yup

Originally Posted by Strom
Buy an M-fare ticket and pray?
This merger has been a boon to most organized religions
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by njcommodore

Care to share the fares and routes?
All details shared in other threads, emailed to 1k voice, PM'd to UAI.

The only reply I got was form UAI who asked for more detail, which I immediately provided. Not a peep since.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
March 11, DEN-BOS, pre-check-in offered to buy to for $289. At check-in offered to buy up for $89. Didn't buy up either time, eventually cleared into R post boarding.

Purchased H fare. Fare difference between my my H and the M-UP fare = $138.

Something is not working.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by emanon256
March 11, DEN-BOS, pre-check-in offered to buy to for $289. At check-in offered to buy up for $89. Didn't buy up either time, eventually cleared into R post boarding.

Indeed; ideally you should have been upgraded before the TOD rolled out so that you would not be tempted to waste money. But, this is not an example of an elite losing an upgrade to a TOD offer since you got the upgrade. I am concerned about the sweep process. It could be you got the upgrade because non-elites thought $89 was a lot of money.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by emanon256

There were likely no "M" fares available on your flight at that point. Looks like "B"-"H"=$705-$415=$290 for a flight on March 25 that I checked at random. The buyups are calculated at the lowest available fare that will book you in to an upgradeable bucket.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by Bonehead
There were likely no "M" fares available on your flight at that point. Looks like "B"-"H"=$705-$415=$290 for a flight on March 25 that I checked at random. The buyups are calculated at the lowest available fare that will book you in to an upgradeable bucket.
Thanks, that does explain the higher buy-up. I hadn't thought of that.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:11 am

Yesterday while talking to my g/a friend I mentioned this latest occurrence.
Her immediate answer, " If someone wants to offer me money for a F/C seat, they're getting it before I give it away free, to anyone"!

Dropped the subject as she was very determined and she's retiring in a few months, so it wasn't prudent to get into a full blown discussion with her!

A few minutes later in the UC my friend in there told me that no-one should be able to buy up until after the upgrade list clears.

So there you have it sports fans!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by mkrecek
So any updates from anyone flying in the next few days?
I'm flying LAX-IAD-CLT on Friday. I've been checking R inventory on both legs since the 96-hour mark.

LAX-IAD continues to be R0 (no surprise there)
Yesterday morning, I noted that IAD-CLT was R2, but I was still in Y. A PM to UA Insider fixed this, although I did not receive an upgrade notification e-mail.

Flying back on Sunday CLT-IAH-LAX. CLT-IAH is an RJ.

We're now 2 hours outside of the 1K window, and I'm seeing R8. We'll see what happens in a couple of hours.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
I'm flying LAX-IAD-CLT on Friday. I've been checking R inventory on both legs since the 96-hour mark.

Yesterday morning, I noted that IAD-CLT was R2, but I was still in Y. A PM to UA Insider fixed this, although I did not receive an upgrade notification e-mail.

We're now 2 hours outside of the 1K window, and I'm seeing R8. We'll see what happens in a couple of hours.
Question: On your IAD-CLT flight, how do you know that there were no GS or other 1k members with higher fares ahead of you in the upgrade queue?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by SS255

http://http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated/1321649-cpus-no-longer-automatically-clear-way-they-used.html
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by mkrecek
So any updates from anyone flying in the next few days?
OK, I'd be happy to be a guinea pig if anyone is interested. I just don't know if I'd be helpful, as I am not on a EUA itinerary.

I am flying internationally on a W fare with SWUs that were applied in December.

R/RN are 0 and neither has cleared. I am 28 hrs from departure. I've been checking obsessively and I have seen both F and C inventory change daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.