Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Is there a way to check availablity on the UA website or does one have to call.
Enable Expert Mode in your profile and search for R inventory, or select MileagePlus Upgrade Award on the search page.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bcj1949
Trying to do a miles UG to J to Europe. Is there a way to check availablity on the UA website or does one have to call. I used to use expertflyer but that's now not an option. Thanks
The new united.com primer: How to find upgrade inventory
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Sorry to reopen this, and sorry if this was already asked and answered, but I can't find the definitive answer to this question---

If I don't see R inventory now does that mean there will never be any in the future. There are three of us traveling EWR to HKG November 11- November 19, 2014. From the seat map FC looks wide open but that doesn't mean a lot I've been told.

This is what I see on the outbound United Economy (W)

Available Cabins: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN7, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN9, X9

This is what I see on the inbound flight United Economy (W)

Available Cabins: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN9, X9
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by icydog
Sorry to reopen this, and sorry if this was already asked and answered, but I can't find the definitive answer to this question---

If I don't see R inventory now does that mean there will never be any in the future. There are three of us traveling EWR to HKG November 11- November 19, 2014. From the seat map FC looks wide open but that doesn't mean a lot I've been told.

Available Cabins: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN7, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN9, X9

Available Cabins: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN9, X9
No, it just means it isn't available now. Unfortunately you have to check often to see if it is released. I've had my upgrades process automatically and get an email, but I don't feel confident that it happens automatically all the time. So I generally check weekly for R to open up (and for itinerary changes) and if I see R open, I call. Also, be aware that if you are waiting for 3 seats and 2 open, I think they won't go to you because you are 3 and there are only 2. I have split itineraries to help facilitate the auto processing.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
[QUOTE=icydog;22725087]Sorry to reopen this, and sorry if this was already asked and answered, but I can't find the definitive answer to this question---

If I don't see R inventory now does that mean there will never be any in the future.

R can and will open up. But that is a popular route to use GPUs - so the chances of three of you on the waitlist clearing (if not a 1K/Platinum) is not great.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
[QUOTE=aacharya;22725235]

If I don't see R inventory now does that mean there will never be any in the future.

R can and will open up. But that is a popular route to use GPUs - so the chances of three of you on the waitlist clearing (if not a 1K/Platinum) is not great.
Yikes, that's not good news. If we all don't clear then we won't be going. I bought the tickets from my account but they are only silvers. Should I split their reservation. I'm on a separate PNR. Another. My party is flying in coach using my miles
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Yikes, that's not good news. If we all don't clear then we won't be going. I bought the tickets from my account but they are only silvers. Should I split their reservation. I'm on a separate PNR. Another. My party is flying in coach using my miles
If you are willing to travel separately and want to increase the chances of upgrades clearing then splitting the PNR is a good idea. For a revenue ticket there is no value in having been purchased by someone with higher elite status. There is, however, value to the Silver Premier in having the upgrade sponsored by your higher-tier account miles. The priority for the miles will be based on the account from which the miles are pulled.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I bought the tickets from my account but they are only silvers. Should I split their reservation. I'm on a separate PNR. Another. My party is flying in coach using my miles
The other companions are they on paid or award tickets? How are you planning on upgrading the other parties? Your miles?

The reasons for the questions is the status / priority of non-elites can be improved by the upgrade support coming from an 1K's mileage account.

Recent posts in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html can better describe the chances.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The outbound looks better, since it shows P9, PN7.
Good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
So quick question to confirm: I am booked on a domestic flight that shows

F5, A5, JN5, Z5, ZN5, P5, PN5, R3, RN3, IN2, I2

with my upgrade requested, but not cleared. After reading through here this still does not mean that there is anything I can do, as the R-availability does not automatically mean CPU-availability, right? So calling won't do any good, I just have to wait and see, correct? Flight is in about 28 hours, I am (newly minted) Premier Gold...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hi Dirk.
Correct, if you are asking about CPU.

As R>0, if you have a supported upgrade request (miles, certificate) then the upgrade would confirm immediately.

When it comes to the unlimited elite CPUs, you just have to wait for the non-transparent systems to do their thing...

Congrats on hitting Gold !
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hi Dirk.
Correct, if you are asking about CPU.

As R>0, if you have a supported upgrade request (miles, certificate) then the upgrade would confirm immediately.

When it comes to the unlimited elite CPUs, you just have to wait for the non-transparent systems to do their thing...

Congrats on hitting Gold !
Although calling sometimes still works for me in situations like this. It's not supposed to...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:44 pm

First time 1K-how to book W class confirm C class upgrade?

I have 6 SWU that I would like to utilize for my upcoming trip

May 25 SFO-Vienna
June 7: Rome-SFO

I don't mind multiple connections. I would love to be able to confirm the upgrade before I book, and I have no idea how this works? Can someone help a newbie out? Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Look for the thread on using "Expert Mode". Use that to find a flight that has "R" space so it will confirm automatically.

When you purchase, make sure you buy a W fare class to upgrade.

Also, if you can't find R space make sure you search individual segments. Sometimes more will show up on individual segments vs. married segments
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by teeceedee
Look for the thread on using "Expert Mode". Use that to find a flight that has "R" space so it will confirm automatically.

When you purchase, make sure you buy a W fare class to upgrade.

Also, if you can't find R space make sure you search individual segments. Sometimes more will show up on individual segments vs. married segments
Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.