Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-US/US-HKG (mileage/SWU) Upgrade chances? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6

I've got to fly HKG-SFO on 7/16 with no flexibility on the date. E+ is getting pretty full on the seat map, but since paid C is unfortunately not going to be happening, I'm trying to decide if its worth the extra $300 for an upgradeable H fare.

If .bomb is currently showing C9,D9,Z9 but NC0, any idea what are the chances of mileage upgrade happening at some point before the flight?

Thanks
~C
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Cristobal
any idea what are the chances of mileage upgrade happening at some point before the flight?
There's no way to tell. There could be 50 people on the upgrade list, or there could be none. And as a 1P on a mileage upgrade, you'll be behind all the 1Ks.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Looking at my "crystal ball" if it does happen, it will be at the gate. C is booked "pretty full."

Last edited by goingbananas; Jul 6, 2009 at 1:05 pm Reason: edit
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
That route is always very heavy with elite fliers. There have been numerous cases where I have tried to upgrade with an SWU and it not clearing. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised, but I wouldn't expect it to clear...
Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Plat
I booked W-class SAN-SFO-HKG-SIN (roundtrip) about a month ago departing on 7/21. Most segments have cleared with a SWU, still awaiting HKG-SFO-SAN on 8/13. FWIW, SFO-HKG did not immediately clear upon booking. I received a confirmation on 7/1. Safe travels.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
The SFO/ORD-HKG flights are very tough upgrades in the UA system as well as IAD-NRT. There is plenty of paid C pax on this route as well as 1Ks in Y. If the other poster is correct that C is getting full chances are slim as I am sure there are quite a few 1Ks on the list who would get the few remaining seats ahead of you.

I would book the lower fare and go for the buy up at checkin.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Is this route always difficult to upgrade, or is it simply because of the time of the year ( lots of vacation travelers)
Old Jul 6, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
SFO-HKG has an elite heavy route...not just vacationers...
Old Jul 6, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (1P), Skymiles
ORD-HKG mileage upgrade chances?

Following up on the recent HKG-SFO upgrade thread, anyone have experience as a 1P trying to upgrade ORD-HKG using miles? Is there any chance of that clearing? Short of that, does UFC ever happen on this route, and on what terms? This is part of an IAD-SGN itinerary, and it would be really nice to have the upgrade to make it bearable.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jschrag
Following up on the recent HKG-SFO upgrade thread, anyone have experience as a 1P trying to upgrade ORD-HKG using miles? Is there any chance of that clearing? Short of that, does UFC ever happen on this route, and on what terms? This is part of an IAD-SGN itinerary, and it would be really nice to have the upgrade to make it bearable.
I know its a long thread, but if you go into the UFC thread, and "search this thread", enter "ORD" & "HKG" (you'll need to put them in quotes), the hits you get back should be the offered UFC on this route. Actually, the thread is getting too long to read, but is a good database to search...
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
ord to HKG

I have flown Ord to HKG twice in the last year. I am a 1 P. Both times I had no trouble upgrading but I used SWU's. On both flights, I had my upgrade well before I left. In fact, I got them at time of booking.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by Benny8444
The SFO/ORD-HKG flights are very tough upgrades in the UA system as well as IAD-NRT. There is plenty of paid C pax on this route as well as 1Ks in Y. If the other poster is correct that C is getting full chances are slim as I am sure there are quite a few 1Ks on the list who would get the few remaining seats ahead of you.

I would book the lower fare and go for the buy up at checkin.
Tried to UFC last time at SFO and they were not offering any!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Which is Easier To Upgrade to HKG- from ORD or SFO?

I will be flying to HKG in mid January, mid week over, Sunday back. I can go through either SFO or ORD (Concerned about weather in ORD). I will be using a SWU to upgrade to C. I am 1 K. They tell me that neither routing has immediate upgrade availability. Which would have the better chance of going through ?

Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
In this economy who knows a year ago ORD was much harder.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by why fly
a year ago ORD was much harder.
That's the first time I've ever heard that. SFO-HKG is usually considered the toughest international upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.