Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Originally Posted by nickab
Just got this trying to check in for an international itinerary departing tomorrow. I'm a trusted traveler / Global Entry.

On OLCI, I got a prompt for TSA secure flight information (DOB, which ID was I going to use, known traveler number). This is weird because all this information is already in my reservation. On completing the form, I was given the "Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk."

Called UA, and of course they had no idea. The agent did say that a few people with international itineraries called in today with the same message, so it sounds like it's a system-wide issue with UA's TSA/DHS OLCI wiring. In the past on interline itineraries, I've been able to get through the check-in process and be sent a boarding pass that says "THIS IS NOT A BOARDING PASS." That didn't happen this time -- I was kicked out of the check-in process after the TSA secure flight info page.

Crossing my fingers that this doesn't lead to an "SSSS"!

got this checking in today for a hop to AMS. Must be system-wide.. Im Global Entry also- Ill let you know if i hit any rough spots checking in tonight!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by footastic
Ill let you know if i hit any rough spots checking in tonight!
Great. Thank you!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mdt76
Have a flight for tomorrow going to Costa Rica, and when I try to do OLCI I get a message that says:

Your reservation requires special handling. Please check in at an airport kiosk.

Am wondering if this is happening to more people, or if it's something about my profile on their new system.

Figured this might be an issue, but oh, well... Tomorrow I'll have to be patient then and go early enough to wade through "issues" at the airport.
Got that message a month ago on an international mileage run. No problem checking in at the Kiosk. It was entirely UA metal, but someone suggested that it was an International Dateline issue, because at one point I was going backward and forward then backward in time again. :-)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I got that message when I tried to check in for SYD-SFO...I just signed out of my account, closed the browser, opened it, signed back in and was able to check in fine.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:16 am

Update on my situation: it took the agent about 5 minutes to check me in at the airport. My current theory is that I was doing an EWR -> JFK connection on an award ticket, and that's fairly uncommon so naturally things are broken.
The EWR boarding pass they printed for me had pre-check, so nothing wrong with the trusted traveler portion of the checkin.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by nickab
Update on my situation: it took the agent about 5 minutes to check me in at the airport. My current theory is that I was doing an EWR -> JFK connection on an award ticket, and that's fairly uncommon so naturally things are broken.
The EWR boarding pass they printed for me had pre-check, so nothing wrong with the trusted traveler portion of the checkin.
EWR-JFK? With a stop in Houston?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Heh. I think you know what I mean! Arriving EWR, departing JFK.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Stop on Houston street, Shirley
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Stop on Houston street, Shirley
For pastrami at Katz's, of course.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
A secondary UA MP account

For some reason, I am always unable to check in online for international United itineraries - it always spits out "special handling required, please see agent". This has happened every time I have flown international on United tickets (does not happen when I fly DL internationally). In the past, I had a different citizenship and I vaguely recall a United GA giving me the "special security/TSA/CBP/Redress" speech. I left it at that because I had one of "those" citizenship. Now that I have US, I thought it would have made life easier but not so on United.

Last weekend I flew to DUB and the check in agent took multiple calls and 20+ min to check me in. He asked me questions like TSA Redress Number which makes me think some of that "special security/TSA/CBP" crap is still somehow in my United profile and that prevents me from online check-ins etc.

Since this never happens when I fly DL, I have to imagine this is something specific to United.

So I was thinking of creating a new MP account (which would not have my old citizenship info in it but just my US one) and then linking all my upcoming international travels to this account. To keep my Premier benefit, I will see if I can do a status match to this new account since I am DL DM for 2014. If this works, I can just transfer my miles from the old account to the new one and then just close the old one out.

I have read the MP T&C and it says that while multiple accounts will be cancelled, flown miles will still be credit to the single account so its not like I would lose any miles (I think)

What do the experts say? Alternatively, if someone could tell me how to clean this "security" info from my United profile, that would be great as well.

And no, I dont get SSSS when travel so I cant really think its a true concern. With DL, I get TSA Pre but with UA, I dont (suspect because of this issue).

TIA
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
This sounds like a really bad idea to me. Maybe United can help get rid of the old citizenship info directly?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
This sounds like a really bad idea to me. Maybe United can help get rid of the old citizenship info directly?
And how do I do that? Every time I ask them specifically for what the issue is, they clam up (except that one time way back in time...)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Well if you don't care about your miles in your current account I suppose there is nothing to prevent you from creating a new profile and account and rejoining...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I had a message for my rather-complex MR itin, that said I couldn't use OLCI and had to see an agent at the airport. I called and the call center couldn't figure it out, they thought maybe it was a random screening thing, but they sent me over to web support, who also couldn't figure it out. I got to the airport, used the Easy Check-In... no problem. Who knows. Could have had something to do with being an MR and having just a 1hr connection at the return point? Maybe that flags you for special processing? But if so, there wasn't any, at least not at my check-in point. I did get some stares and questions down the road though. Fortunately, immigrations folk now seem to understand what a mileage run is.
I am doing a mileage run tomorrow with various sectors in Y, Z and F and a 6 hour layover in Singapore. I have Global Entry and Pre-Check and am 1K and 2mm, but I think the issue is that Shares or Online Checkin sees the itinerary not as a round trip but as one long segment JFK-SIN-JFK. As such, I cannot yet check in for the flight leaving Singapore Monday morning as it isn't yet available for checkin. So I got the same message - Online Checkin is not allowed and your reservation requires special assistance. I will take a Clonipin (sp?) after I get out of my car, and just nod and be pleasant and explain that I actually like to fly, watch marathon sessions of TV shows on iTunes, and move forward to 3mm status. Flight leaves at 6 or 615am tomorrow so it is going to be an early start, but I have 28 hours of potential sleep time on the way over and 25 on the way back, so I have ZERO concern. Being honest friendly and upfront goes a long way, and if you have a sense of humor you're golden
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I got this "special handling" message today while trying to do OLCI - any recent experiences as to meaning? I have seat assignments on flights that do not seem to be sold out (ICN-NRT-IAD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.