Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?
Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit
Building a UA city pair BIS table

Archive: [url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2150272-how-lifetime-miles-calculated-mileageplus-archive.html]How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yes, I usually use gcmap as a way to verify. Based on my experience, both sets of numbers (UA v. gcmap) are either exactly the same, or off by 1 or 2 miles (in your favor or against); the biggest offender seems to be SFO<->TPE, but I am not getting worked up over 14 miles per direction.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yes, I usually use gcmap as a way to verify. Based on my experience, both sets of numbers (UA v. gcmap) are either exactly the same, or off by 1 or 2 miles (in your favor or against); the biggest offender seems to be SFO<->TPE, but I am not getting worked up over 14 miles per direction.
Huh, never noticed that one.

Seems they used SFO-TSA distance instead.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Huh, never noticed that one.

Seems they used SFO-TSA distance instead.
OK, so that one can't even be explained by a really old database. I'd been assuming that UA grabbed some distances in 1997 and never changed them -- hence the old locations for HKG (it uses Kai Tak, which closed in 1998) and AUS (it uses Mueller, which closed in 1999), but the new location for DEN (Stapleton closed in 1995). But TPE opened in 1979, so...

I really wish somebody would care enough to go in and fix these things.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:44 pm

At 2.7M+ lifetime miles, I had been calculating that last year, this year, and approx. 3 more years would get me very close to lifetime 1K (3M lifetime miles).

Last year (definitely) and this year (mostly) are shot. Still quite a bit of flying to do to get to 3M.

And given that everyone seems to be finding something to complain about - I used to fly SFO-SIN (through NRT or HKG) at least 5-6 times year. One time, after checking in at SFO, UA offered several of us the opportunity to fly first class on Air China (through Beijing) instead of on UA (business) through HKG.

Lesson learned - got to Beijing with an onward reservation on Air China which they summarily ignored (told us all onward seats were filled), and besides, a storm was bearing down on the region so nobody was flying out later. After ~5+ hours managed to snag the last seat on the last (Cathay Pacific) flight out to HKG. Never did get the credit from UA for the segment from Beijing to SIN. UA agents were useless, Air China agents didn't want to deal with us... just another example of when in life if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is

UA did credit a significant number of reward miles for that mess, but still nothing for lifetime miles.

As an aside, made GS for the first time in 2019, didn't fly at all last year, and this year my wife is going to be flying more than I will (she is definitely enjoying GS service leveraging my status).
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, so that one can't even be explained by a really old database. I'd been assuming that UA grabbed some distances in 1997 and never changed them -- hence the old locations for HKG (it uses Kai Tak, which closed in 1998) and AUS (it uses Mueller, which closed in 1999), but the new location for DEN (Stapleton closed in 1995). But TPE opened in 1979, so...

I really wish somebody would care enough to go in and fix these things.
Yeah, I pondered it for a bit and just could not come up with any rational, other than some combination of poor data vetting and laziness.

According to the internet (link), CO did have service to Taipei in 1978, which presumably would have been to TSA (via HNL/GUM). Could they really have a record of TPE dating from then?

And — although, as often reported, it had been prepared earlier — the Mileage Plus program wasn't even initiated until 1981, two years after TPE opening.

Really hard to find an excuse for this one.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Does anyone here know if flights by Air Wisconsin Dba United Express counts toward my UA MM status?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
Does anyone here know if flights by Air Wisconsin Dba United Express counts toward my UA MM status?
United Express counts so yes.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
United Express counts so yes.
It said Air Wisconsin in the beginning so that's why I got confused.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
It said Air Wisconsin in the beginning so that's why I got confused.
Any UA and UEX flights will count, but not partner flights with a UA flight number.
BTW, your PM mail box is full.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Slightly off topic but is there an easy way to see how many bis miles you’ve accumulated year to date or per year? I know ua gives a running total.

I know that UA keeps track of the total BIS toward MM status - but is there an easy way (sort of counting your own trips over time) where you can see your progress on a per year - or current year basis?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2021 at 4:37 pm Reason: merged duplicate posts
Old May 9, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I don’t know of one.
My “methodology”: take a screenshot end of year, then compare LT running BIS as needed during year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
I know that UA keeps track of the total BIS toward MM status - but is there an easy way (sort of counting your own trips over time) where you can see your progress on a per year - or current year basis?
Provides a running display of flown Lifetime Miles in your MyAcount as a part of "Your Premier progress"
To find the delta, YTD, you will need to capture the 1 Jan number each year.

United sent a brief monthly "statements" that also contains that running total data but they a couple weeks have the start of the month.

For unflown trips, this thread's wiki has a number of methods

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2021 at 4:42 pm Reason: monthly "statements"
Old May 9, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I wish lifetime miles had an activity list instead of just the running total. The best one can do is record or screenshot before travel and then calculate the additional miles that were added after flights to see if it correct.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I wish lifetime miles had an activity list instead of just the running total. The best one can do is record or screenshot before travel and then calculate the additional miles that were added after flights to see if it correct.
Or you can track them on Excel. I don't know what additional miles you are referring to, but to its credit, UA is pretty accurate with this regard.
tcdtcd and 8MiHi like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Has it ever been incorrect?
If the flights post otherwise correct, I have never had an issue on the lifetime miles. So I just focus on the flight posting.
SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.