Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Small Improvements in Int'l F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Small Improvements in Int'l F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Spend a few $ more on the amenity kit - pay 10c more so that you can give a brand name toothbrush and toothpaste compared to the no name gum destroyer!

Also spend $2 more on the meal. The salad looks like it was the leftover from the trimming table at the fresh food packer. Maybe the caterer dumpster dives to make up the meal.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
Why not? I think its better to get that over with; then you can speed up the dinner service to increase sleeping time.

they're going to improve a few things of course, the better CO towels... but they do need to step up the catering big time, and the wine choices need to be, well, first class, instead of business class...

Don't know if they need a STC for the espresso/cappucino machines, maybe NESPRESSO makes an airplane model that they can just plug in. UA could definitely use that, especially if they insist on using the new freshpoo 2.0 blend for the drip.
When I'm still stowing away my stuff, finishing up a couple of calls and checking my last e-mails, I don't want a FA standing over me saying,"Whata ya gonna have to eat?" And that has actually happened to me.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Stop using threadbare towels for the hot towel service.[/I][/B]

Done!! I flew Int'l First and Int'l Business just last week and had REAL TOWELS on both flights!! ^^^
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Whats the rush?

I find this annoying in Business and the one time I was in F flying to SYD....why do they rush you through the drinks service, waving the napkins and towels at us like we are chickens? I'd like to have a nice glass of bubbly, domestic or French or Cava or Prosecco, relax with my book, maybe a second glass THEN start thinking about dinner. Its a 10-14 hour flight after all.

AND THE CHAMPAGNE should BE ON ICE, in a bucket!!!!!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Remove plastic bags on blankets and other amenities before pax board.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Remove plastic bags on blankets and other amenities before pax board.
I think those are to "prove" everything is clean.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I haven't yet flown F, and won't be until March 4, so if I'm wrong, I apologize. I based this off what I've read here.
I'm quite surprised that they don't refer to pax by their name, especially considering they do in BF. They should definitely start.
If the pillow/duvet is similar to BF/UA C, they should upgrade that. Full size pillow with thicker duvet, though admittedly, the duvet in BF/C is good enough right now.
PJs!
An amenity kit on par with, if not better than, the BF one. The UA C one was significantly worse.
An F on-board bar (even if not self-service). High end wines, premium spirits, maybe even mixers, etc.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Can I get remember my food order.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:31 pm

How about stocking F with Bose QC15s so I don't have to lug that box everywhere? ...that would be SOOO nice! Provide some ear covers in the amenity kit for the germophobes.

Also, could apply more broadly than just in F, but why not put the menu selections on the IFE system so you could just put in your meal order when you wanted to and not have to be interrupted?

Last edited by bowhi; Feb 29, 2012 at 7:03 pm Reason: clarification
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by bowhi
How about stocking F with Bose QC15s so I don't have to lug that box everywhere? ...that would be SOOO nice! Provide some ear covers in the amenity kit for the germophobes.

Also, more general than just F, but why not put the menu selections on the IFE system so you could just put in your meal order when you wanted to and not have to be interrupted?
Agreed and agreed! Though they should put the menu on the IFE for everyone, not just F. It makes life easier for the FAs, and can actually allow FAs to prioritize meals based on status, even in Y.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Here's a suggestion, especially for the FRA based flight crews.....smile once in a while! It costs nothing and goes a long way to making passengers feel welcomed.

On my last FRA-IAD flight in F, not a single smile from any crew member throughout the flight, just a look of disinterest and disdain for anything relating to serving the passengers.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I second (or is it third) the motion that they have a better selection of alcohol in both C and F. I really don't need two brands of ruby port with my cheese selection! Hello, they're the SAME THING. One ruby and one tawny would be great, or a ruby port and a Sherry. A tokaji or eiswein would be a welcome addition if i were to choose a sweet dessert.

I was once offered dark chocolate truffles on SFO-CDG in January 2011, and i have not seen high-end chocolate since. They need to bring this back.

I second the motion of enforcing the "stay in your cabin" policy. I follow it when I'm "slumming it" in C cabin, yet when I'm in F, I see half of the C cabin in our lav and nobody says a single thing to them. The *one time* i tried going from C to F, since I figured, heck, nobody ever gets kicked out of F whenever I'm there, the FA scolded me like a little kid, "(Snippy loud voice) Ma'am, YOUR lavatory is back there!". I'm happy to stay in my cabin but I expect some reciprocity!

I can't stand when Econ pax are invited to stow their stuff in the F overhead bins. It's my bin. And perhaps that of my F cabin neighbor in need of more space. The whole point of F cabin is to not get crammed in like a sardine, and that goes for my computer bag and my very nice, very expensive, not-happy-when-crushed designer purse.

I would like some good quailty steak. My teeth bounced off of the last alleged filet mignon that I was served SFO-LHR November 2011.

I would like the FAs to actually remember to wake you if you tell them that you want to be awakened for the next meal service. Perhaps they could note it next to your meal order.

Speaking of meals, if a 747 only has 12 F pax and a 767 only has 6 F pax, how is it possible that I can't get my choice of meal? How can they possibly run out of choices when I am at worst, #6 out of 250+ people on a 767 to be served? They need to ensure that F gets first crack at the food. That's what it means to be first!

I really am a nice person despite the tone of my post. I'm just cranky because my 2012 1K card isn't here yet and I fly on March 3 to LHR!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by redwoman
I'm just cranky because my 2012 1K card isn't here yet and I fly on March 3 to LHR!
I'm not flying at all next month and I'm still cranky. I want my 1K card!

Oh and also, to keep my post relevant to the thread, how about slippers. That would be nice huh?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:25 pm

Location: "And I'm in Colorado, when I'm not in some hotel..."
Programs: UA Global Services, IHC Plantinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764
How about the simplest change of all... make it a policy to refer to customers by their name and personally thank each passenger for their business prior to arrival?
I've only been called by name one time in First Class - by a very professional FA (though have to admit I've never traveled any long haul flights in First). That simple thing really made me feel special (obviously as that one time still stands out in my mind)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
Don't take meal orders while the plane is still boarding and on the ground. Wait until drink orders are taken after departure.
Actually, I'd suggest a bit of flexibility with this. On short flights (e.g. NRT-HNL), I want dinner quickly so I can get a reasonable night's sleep, so I was grateful that the FA not only took our order on the runway, but managed to get the food (and champagne) to us in <15 minutes from take-off. On the other hand, on a nice long flight (e.g. IAD-DXB), I'm all for playing it out over a few hours.

One thing I miss is the caviar service that I remember from the early-mid 90's. You don't need $200/oz beluga, but the overall experience tells you that you're having a special event.

Oh, and I don't want to enforce FA retirement at 30 like SQ does, but the UA seniority rule leads to some MIGHTY old FA's in Int'l F. I'm a cardiologist, and I've had quite a few discussions of stents and pacemakers with these FA's.

I guess it's too much to hope for carving stations rolling down the aisles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.