Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Small Improvements in Int'l F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

Whenever I fly F internationally I always think there are so many small things that UA could do easily and inexpensively do to improve the service. So here's a thread where we can all make recommendations to help UA easily improve their service in Global First. I'll start.

Stop using threadbare towels for the hot towel service.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
upgrade me
I think that would make the cabin better

and go back to UA boarding method, First GS 1k's board the plane FIRST!

Last edited by why fly; Feb 29, 2012 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'll play

Have a totally distinct menu from C...don't just add a 4th entree and a small soup course
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:47 am

Don't take meal orders while the plane is still boarding and on the ground. Wait until drink orders are taken after departure.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: United Gold
I've never flown UA International F, closest was an op-up to C. However I did get PJs flying Upper Class SFO-LHR. So I would suggest PJs!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Re: towels, I think one of the recent articles on meal service noted that the company will be going with CO's slightly more substantial towels in the future.

How about the simplest change of all... make it a policy to refer to customers by their name and personally thank each passenger for their business prior to arrival? It irks me to see airlines like Delta and others make it a point of emphasis, while on UA it is clearly an afterthought, or sporadic at best. Such an easy change that would go a long way.

As far as international F, can we just blow up that product and start from scratch? The seat and entertainment system is good enough, but UA needs to take a few cues from *A partners LX/LH/SQ/OZ/TG/NH when it rolls out the new service. They've already reduced the number of F seats fleetwide with the new configuration, the next step is making it a product people are actually willing to pay for.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
REAL CHAMPAGNE and WINE

you know, like Opus One or 2006 Insignia......yeah yeah one can hope
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:12 pm

1. Cappuccinos in F!

2. Not sure if this qualifies as a "small" improvement ... get rid of the surly FAs.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Can I suggest more than one?

1) Espresso/Cappuccino machine
2) Amuse bouche
3) Nicer china and flatware
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Don't take meal orders while the plane is still boarding and on the ground. Wait until drink orders are taken after departure.
Why not? I think its better to get that over with; then you can speed up the dinner service to increase sleeping time.

they're going to improve a few things of course, the better CO towels... but they do need to step up the catering big time, and the wine choices need to be, well, first class, instead of business class...

Don't know if they need a STC for the espresso/cappucino machines, maybe NESPRESSO makes an airplane model that they can just plug in. UA could definitely use that, especially if they insist on using the new freshpoo 2.0 blend for the drip.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:07 pm

A couple things...

I noticed a significant improvement in the personal attention on my ORD-FRA flight this month. Purser personally chatted with and thankd all F passengers prior to de-board. The FAs referred to us by name during flight as well. Maybe it was just this crew, but they were better than I have had before.

As for the improvements:
I think a better selection of "serve-yourself" items between meals would be a good start. I flew business class SAS a few years ago and theirs was much better than UA first, even including a self-serve cocktail selection. I also like the idea of a cappuccino / espresso machine.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
My list; nothing should cost much:
  • Give a damn about customer service
  • stop stuffing all the FC bins with crew luggage
  • either have a place to store the 2 pillows and blanket during take off and landing, or allow us to keep them at the seat like at the beginning of the new layout
  • make the shoulder belt longer so people over 6'2" can be somewhat comfortable
  • Have FC bathrooms actually cleaned before boarding
  • enforce the "stay in your cabin policy"
  • use decent towels
  • update the IFE system more frequently
  • Fix all the broken connectors and storage doors/lids on the new seats
  • How about finishing the 777 upgardes (you promised this for more than 2 years)
    Now that it's down to one bathroom, don't block it with the entire crew
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:10 pm

nespresso

Originally Posted by entropy
Don't know if they need a STC for the espresso/cappucino machines, maybe NESPRESSO makes an airplane model that they can just plug in. UA could definitely use that, especially if they insist on using the new freshpoo 2.0 blend for the drip.
i flew openskies in 'bizbed' class for thanksgiving and the galley had a built-in nespresso machine (with very cool industrial design, btw)... definitely a nice perk.

a few other 'easy' things:

- openskies also gave out a box of really nice french macarons as a goodbye gift. perfect little reminder of your trip when you open the box up (or a handy "look what i brought you from france!" gift for that person you forgot to get a souvenir for).

- Wifi should be free in First.

- Continental international First FA told me, "sorry, i can't make a mimosa, we don't have any champagne or sparkling wine on board" -- seemed like an easy thing to add to make the service seem nicer. At least one decent beer would be a good thing too.

- Agree on the surly FAs post above but that isn't an easy fix

- A nicer selection of after-dinner drinks. A decent single malt, a nice port, an eau de vie, a dessert wine.

- Offer a cheese plate for dessert

- Reliably board F first and take my jacket without me asking you to

- Have a couple of spare power adapters for phones and laptops in case someone forgot theirs

- Paid Int'l first should earn a lot more EQMs than it does.

- Always close the curtain between First and Business and enforce the rule of "using the lavs in your ticketed cabin".

- Clean the lavatory frequently. Stock it with good products and basket of cloth towels.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
REAL CHAMPAGNE and WINE
lets start small - dont serve them in a plastic cup pre-takeoff.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: nobody
PJ, caviar, better international F check in. (ie. No mixing with the regular crowd going through TSA)

GS/F check-in go directly straight to F-Lounge (one can only dream)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.