Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
Go here and ensure the "I would like to participate in the TSA pre-screening program" box is checked: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...nTraveler.aspx

The "Edit traveler information" screen in each of your reservations does not require a Known Traveler number to be entered. You can delete the number and then save the page.
Thanks jackal for the advice! I checked the box on the page link you provided, deleted my Known Traveler number and also deleted the Known Traveler number from my "Edit traveler information".

Now the last thing I wonder is if I'm in a Catch 22 scenario as I'm a Green Card holder and not a US citizen yet and Global Entry allows Green Card holders to be part of PreChecking (but here my names will not match) or through 1K where the TSA PreChecking website states you have to be a US citizen.....
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:28 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by linhard04
Originally Posted by jackal
Go here and ensure the "I would like to participate in the TSA pre-screening program" box is checked: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...nTraveler.aspx

The "Edit traveler information" screen in each of your reservations does not require a Known Traveler number to be entered. You can delete the number and then save the page.
Thanks jackal for the advice! I checked the box on the page link you provided, deleted my Known Traveler number and also deleted the Known Traveler number from my "Edit traveler information".

Now the last thing I wonder is if I'm in a Catch 22 scenario as I'm a Green Card holder and not a US citizen yet and Global Entry allows Green Card holders to be part of PreChecking (but here my names will not match) or through 1K where the TSA PreChecking website states you have to be a US citizen.....
I think you might be looking in the wrong place. It's not the ticketed name nor the MP account name that matters, but the ID Name in Edit Traveler Info. By my count the first and middle name there allow 30 characters each.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by linhard04
I'm a Green Card holder and prior to having Global Entry I signed up and used PreCheck through United without any problems. I think the TSA's website verbage is somewhat confused as on the front page it says:

certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate when they are booked on a participating airline.
...yet on their FAQ page it says:

Current members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS programs are already eligible to participate in TSA Pre✓™ if they are flying on a participating airline at a participating airport.
....no mention of citizenship.

To be honest, I've had more problems since adding my Global Entry number to my profile (and I don't even have any problematic middle names or hyphens or anything going on). I'm actually going to try removing my GE number from my profile and "reapplying" for Pre Check through UA alone to see if that helps my success rate.

As I 'qualify' for Pre through UA, I see no upside in confusing the issue by also having my GE number appended to my domestic travel - maybe I'm wrong, so would love to hear any thoughts.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GroundStop
As I 'qualify' for Pre through UA, I see no upside in confusing the issue by also having my GE number appended to my domestic travel - maybe I'm wrong, so would love to hear any thoughts.
Supposedly, those who qualify via Global Entry/NEXUS/SENTRI see a higher rate of selection, but if it is causing you problems, then the obvious answer is that it isn't causing you a higher rate of selection...in which case, there's no downside to removing it!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GroundStop
I'm a Green Card holder and prior to having Global Entry I signed up and used PreCheck through United without any problems. I think the TSA's website verbage is somewhat confused as on the front page it says:

...yet on their FAQ page it says:

....no mention of citizenship.

To be honest, I've had more problems since adding my Global Entry number to my profile (and I don't even have any problematic middle names or hyphens or anything going on). I'm actually going to try removing my GE number from my profile and "reapplying" for Pre Check through UA alone to see if that helps my success rate.

Thanks GroundStop for your help with this! I think I'm slowly getting there with your guys help. Out of curiosity: How do you permanently remove your GE number from your UA profile?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
I was pleasantly surprised to find the pre-check line open and operating at ORD at 7pm this evening. I thought it closed at 6 and was prepared for the regular elite line.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:17 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Used Pre-Check at PHL yesterday, Terminal C. Very convenient, as it is totally separate and away from any other security lines. From there, short airside walk to the D pier, from which my UA flight departed.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Thumbs up How sweet it is

Next trip after I posted to this board that I'd never cleared TSA Pre it happened both outbound and return.

My outbound from SFO I went to the GS line and was redirected to TSA Pre (already grumpy that it NEVER works) and ding, ding, ding I got through. I already had my phone, wallet and cash in my coat pockets so I took it off anyway while Mr. TSA told me you can leave that on (next time). There were a few others in line but I was still through in 120 seconds.

The return from Orlando was shocking. I don't like this station (who does?) combined security, no real premium line, lots of families traveling - it can take a while. Asked if there was a TSA Pre line for TermB and was sent to the left edge of a large mass of people - fingers crossed . . . ding, ding, ding. No one else in line I was through and onto the tram in maybe 15 seconds. A guy could get really used to this!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
0/2

We flew LHR-ORD-BOS today. We reprinted our boarding passes at the kiosk at ORD then transited security, where we heard "one beep" and were directed through the regular Premier security line and not the Pre Check line.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
We flew LHR-ORD-BOS today. We reprinted our boarding passes at the kiosk at ORD then transited security, where we heard "one beep" and were directed through the regular Premier security line and not the Pre Check line.
That is because you were on an international itinerary and it does not support precheck -
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Just went thru Pre at SNA with my wife. It is currently only at A like was stated, however there are signs leading all the way from B. Nobody in line when we got there. Breezed thru, although my wife had to back up and take off her boots because they beeped. TSO was very cordial and warned her but said "let's give it a try anyways". It'snot like we were going to hold up the line

The Pre line is a chute all the way at the far end of the A security area closest to the ticket counters. Small swing gate to get in, but no line monitor. I'd say there were 3-4 TSOs staffing the line including the one running the XRay. Not sure of the process if you fail Pre on a given BP.

A group came in after us but a TSO quickly asked if they were all Pre, and since they had confused looks on their faces, they were turned away. One woman went thru after us, but other than that, pretty dead.

One thing I did note is that they are still using the old "scanner in a kiosk" scanners, but somehow they are able to still determine Pre. No triple beep, no LLL, no new style scanners. Quite odd.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Originally Posted by spaceman
That is because you were on an international itinerary and it does not support precheck -
But, there have been several posts recently on folks getting Pre on the inbound domestic connection. Nobody has posted getting it outbound that I have seen.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: United 1K
Does anyone know if there is a future date when this precheck will be approved for International Flights?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: Continental
I got it on the EWR-SFO leg of a STR-SFO itinerary just last week.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I got it on the EWR-SFO leg of a STR-SFO itinerary just last week.
REALLY????

95% of my flights are international. I am GE. and after all EWR was OKed. I was all excited until I found out it was all Domestic flight only(total itiniary)

Now I am going to have to check for my ticket!!!
what was the magic number?? a zero?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.