Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:24 pm

Does anyone know why tickets from SFO to OGG for Feb 2015 start at $1741 round trip?

Why so expensive? Will the price go down?

Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sometimes when flights are first added to the schedule the full range of discount fares are not included. Usually they will be added in a few weeks usually although it can be a few months.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
If u look at the flex calendar, the 3 leading days are always at B bucket near full fare ... something strange about how UA works
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
UA hopes you will buy it at $1741 RT. If they have any sense, they will soon realize that nobody will, and will lower the price. At this point, they may desire to keep the cabin empty so that in case another airline starts a sale (or VX starts flying to OGG), they can lower prices and undercut the competitor and still have seats available to do so. If they never have a specific reason for discounting fares, they will usually start about ~7 months out and continue until about 4 weeks out so that the plane isn't empty.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes they will go down.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Bear Backers
SFO-LHR

Been tracking this coach fare for a while. All airlines went up about $200 yesterday for July 31st travel. Looking at seat maps planes look empty, although I know that may not indicate true availabilty. interesting. Maybe increased fuel costs have finally factored in.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
There are so many reasons why this singular flight/route could have had an overnight fluctuation in price due to the complex airline pricing model that it is frequently impossible to point to a unique factor which is causing the change. Could be day of the week, could be load, could be an error, who knows.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Been tracking this coach fare for a while. All airlines went up about $200 yesterday for July 31st travel. Looking at seat maps planes look empty, although I know that may not indicate true availabilty. interesting. Maybe increased fuel costs have finally factored in.
Not fuel costs - they have to make up in coach fares the potential revenue lost when they sold people like me, 2 days ago, BF fares at less than previous (cheaper) coach fares .

Maui-Rome for $1486, all in, First/BF.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by oskidunker
fluctuates daily....just keep checking every day..
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not fuel costs - they have to make up in coach fares the potential revenue lost when they sold people like me, 2 days ago, BF fares at less than previous (cheaper) coach fares .

Maui-Rome for $1486, all in, First/BF.
:-:

Inventory "Management" indeed!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This city pair fare structure has been weird this year. It's incredibly high in July then drops markedly in August (I've not checked in the last day). Strangely it drops during the peak rush and, as the OP noted, the bookings (judging by fare class availability as well as seat maps) seem higher in the cheaper period.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:53 pm

It is depressing that I'm gonna end up paying $1,700 for LAX-BRU in Y in June when BUR/SNA-FCO is $1,500 in J in July.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, HiltonHonors, AAdvantage, Starwood Prefered Guest, Marriott Rewards
$700 More to fly N/S IAD-HNL?

I am looking at holiday travel from IAD to HNL, Christmas Eve with a New Year's Eve return. This is what comes up: Non-Stop: $1930, connections via LAX from $1230 (38 minute connection time!) through $1427 (via SFO, 1 hour 3 minute connection). Yes, this is a peak travel time, but having done n/s the past 2 years I did not pay such a premium for n/s service. Bah Humbug, UA! Is there any chance of the n/s fare coming down?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperJon
I am looking at holiday travel from IAD to HNL, Christmas Eve with a New Year's Eve return. This is what comes up: Non-Stop: $1930, connections via LAX from $1230 (38 minute connection time!) through $1427 (via SFO, 1 hour 3 minute connection). Yes, this is a peak travel time, but having done n/s the past 2 years I did not pay such a premium for n/s service. Bah Humbug, UA! Is there any chance of the n/s fare coming down?
I think we're probably still a bit too far out. My guess without looking is that they have all the lower fare buckets on the non-stop zeroed out at the moment, but someone else might know better. (Maybe there are NONSTOPS PROHIBITED fares published for this route?)

As for unfavorable connection times, you will often be able to engineer better connections by manually doing a multi-destination search for the same price.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
you can always book the cheaper connecting option and hope/wait for a schedule change then get them to put you on the direct IAD-HNL. depends how risk averse you are to that schedule change not coming, or not being large enough to result in a reroute option. FWIW, 38 minute connecting time in LAX is not a problem, i regularly connect UAX->UA and vv. in LAX in under 35 minutes and that's a much more difficult connection than UA->UA due to the terminal layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.