Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I flew it in April last year for $475.
really want to stay on united to hit that 25k. i just mapped out my yearly flying and it might be tough. might have to do a mileage run.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
I know its a tourist destination and the prices don't usually fluctuate, but what gives?

I went in October with my wife and the flight was less than 300 dollars each. Going in March and flights are upwards of 700-800 dollars. I mean you can get to OGG on a good day for that. 1st class is only 200 dollars more. It almost make sense to buy the first class !

BUT... they have 4 direct flights the days I'm looking, and 3 out of 4 are on dope squad embraers.

Whats going on? Will prices come down later? Time frame in question is a weekend in late March.
Between now and early May, you'll probably see many high UA fares. Lots going on in the city during this time frame, not to mention the conferences/conventions, in addition.

http://www.neworleanscvb.com

Originally Posted by jasonp622
Leading up to jazz fest? Spring break?
Jazz Fest is the last weekend of April and first weekend of May, so that won't explain the March air fares.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Silver, Emirates Gold, Airfrance Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" Thread [2015]

Seeing similar variations in price between UA and DL/AA from DEN recently. Booked today for DEN-BOS RT next week with AA for $360, DL roughly the same price (as was WN). UA was over $700 for the same trip, even for connections.

I want to be loyal to UA, but I simply can't be with price differentials like that. My employer won't allow it, quite rightly.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by halls120
I think the next time MsHalls120 and I fly together, I'm going to book us on different reservations, one at a W fare, and the other the cheapest available, and see what happens.
But .. but ... but that means that whichever is favoured by UA, you will loose !
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
On some routes, yes.
SFO-PVG 2/18-28

K fare $636
W fare $1732

Almost triple!!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kb1992
SFO-PVG 2/18-28

K fare $636
W fare $1732

Almost triple!!
We tend to think of GPUs as UA liabilities (which they technically are) but when there's this sort of fare differential, they are actually revenue generators. That's $1050 in extra revenue from the 1K who hopes to upgrade. Across the system, that's a nice little kick to UA's bottom line; especially when you figure that in most instances UA is opening R only in situations where it figures the BF seat will otherwise go unsold.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I suspect UA has figured out there a lot of people who will pay for W with OMP.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
WAS to DEN Price change

Yesterday I was on UA's web site to price flights from WAS to DEN for a trip at the end of May, and the lowest price they had was for $367, and they had a handful of different routes at that price (from all 3 WAS airports). Today, all those same routes are at $413. I will not be buying today .... tls
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
WAS-DEN / DEN-WAS is always moving and hit or miss (for me at least).

Found $376, which is really good into DCA and out of BWI for a two day, two meeting DC/Baltimore trip. Usually only see those prices with IAD.

Once I got the go ahead to book it was $401. I needed this trip so I booked it and ate the $25, but I've noticed WAS is not easy ex-DEN.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
WAS to DEN Price change

If there was a thread for every city pair price change, no one would read this forum.

Fares go up and down all the time. Someone buys the last ticket in the lower fare class, an airline sale ended, or revenue management decides that they can get the higher price. Traditional airline pricing theory, by the way, says that any lower prices tend to go on sale on Monday night/Tuesday morning, by Tuesday evening, other airlines will match, and then often the fares rise again by Friday and for the weekend. Some don't buy that theory (no pun intended) though what you are seeing could potentially for in with that.

One rule of buying airfare is if you see a price you like, buy right away as you don't know what will happen going forward. Depending on the circumstances, the fare might come down to what you previously saw again, maybe even lower, or may stay stagnant or may just go up. No laymen really knows how revenue management works, so while there are some general ideas (ie when it's really close to the flight, prices are likely to go only up, but then again, it's not always the case) it's anyone's guess at what might happen.

There are a few tools that might give you an idea, but also are not guaranteed, like Bing travel and Kayak which advise you to buy now or wait, based on data they analyze, but again, that's not a guarantee either. UA specifically has Farelock where you can pay a bit (IIRC about $5 - $15/ticket) to hold a fare you see for 3 or 7 days. That's a small price to pay for guaranteeing your fare. For all trips to, from or within the US, the DOT also mandates customers be able to cancel for a full refund within 24 hours of purchase (UA uses this) or offers a 24 hour period in which a customer can hold a ticket without needing to pay anything (AA follows this). So you definitely have options to get the lower fare, even if you aren't 100% sure at the time you will want the ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 5khours
I suspect UA has figured out there a lot of people who will pay for W with OMP.
When GPUs used to clear in all likelihood, I was more than willing to participate in that raffle.

But now when the probability is zilch and the game is rigged by the arbiters? Nah thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
WAS-DEN flights are always full and are tough upgrades most of the time, too. As a 1K, I have failed SDC & standby on Sundays many times, and failed upgrades on just about every day of the week.

So while I suspect they could easily add capacity, UA has the fares where they want them (e.g. high, higher than deep-discount transcons often are).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
TATL BusinessFirst fares up 50%?

Recently, I've been looking at flights LHR-LAS in BusinessFirst, booking class P.
When I last looked a few days ago, the flights were pricing in at around £2030, but now, all the P fares are around £2950.

Other flights such as LHR-EWR and LHR-LAX are also showing prices near £3000.

Was there a sale, and this is normal, or have prices really just skyrocketed?

EDIT: LHR-LAX is now looking near £3500. I suspect they're doing something to the website, these prices are nuts and fluctuating too quickly.

Last edited by skycrab; Jan 29, 2015 at 12:57 am
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Well we seem to be in an era of not so subtle price increases. They no longer seem to try and get away hiding small price increases.

My guess the fares don't sell so briskly and prices will come down a little. They could go up more also.
Don't know about TATL but I just looked at UA to prepare to get my next BKK/SFO trip and business class is $200 LESS than the ticket I just arrived on.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Silver
EWR-LAS on June 25 with return on June 28 is almost $700.. Holding off on booking as I can't believe it could possibly go up from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.