Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold

So as a business traveler who routinely stays at a client for just a single day or portion thereof, I am used to paying a premium for short turn arounds.

That being said, I cannot believe what I saw when I tried to book a WAS-IAH trip for 3 weeks from now: The lowest fare without a 3 day min stay (or sat stayover) requirement is a B fare for $1589!!!!! Even the $900 'E' fare requires a 3 night stay.

Simply unreal.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
That's a very CO tactic that CO has used for a while.

In routes where there is little direct competition, they like their 3-day mins and really ream you if you don't have it.

This is also one upside or downside (depending on your viewpoint of them) of the B fares. CO's lowest fare is a B fare, so you're getting a free, immediate upgrade if Elite and available. So they're not really monetizing anything their for their F cabin since you're not paying more for it. You're only paying for the B because that's the fare.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
That's a very CO tactic that CO has used for a while.

In routes where there is little direct competition, they like their 3-day mins and really ream you if you don't have it.

This is also one upside or downside (depending on your viewpoint of them) of the B fares. CO's lowest fare is a B fare, so you're getting a free, immediate upgrade if Elite and available. So they're not really monetizing anything their for their F cabin since you're not paying more for it. You're only paying for the B because that's the fare.
Oh, I'd very much love to book that B fare, take the extra 50% eqm and the instant upgrade, but the competitors on the route are asking for less than $400 w/ one stop. I can get a lot past my travel department, but a $1200 difference for a domestic mid-con is just not going to happen.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
DCA-IAH flights generally run completely full, at least at the times I travel, so I guess there are enough people willing to either stay for three nights or pay full B fare.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Houston
DCA-IAH flights generally run completely full, at least at the times I travel, so I guess there are enough people willing to either stay for three nights or pay full B fare.
Or connect to other destinations with more reasonable pricing.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This describes most of the business routes ex-EWR for 1-3 day pricing (save some leisure destinations)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by smashr
Oh, I'd very much love to book that B fare, take the extra 50% eqm and the instant upgrade, but the competitors on the route are asking for less than $400 w/ one stop. I can get a lot past my travel department, but a $1200 difference for a domestic mid-con is just not going to happen.
#1 Have a bit of hidden-city fun.
BTR on the outbound, SYR/ROA on the inbound.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and got the nonstops.

#2 "Connect" on UACO in MCI/MCO by joining two cheap fares on a single ticket.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and earned double EQMs.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy
#1 Have a bit of hidden-city fun.
BTR on the outbound, SYR/ROA on the inbound.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and got the nonstops.

#2 "Connect" on UACO in MCI/MCO by joining two cheap fares on a single ticket.
Nice, you just saved >$1000 and earned double EQMs.
Thanks for the tips. I messed around with BTR a bit thinking I could take my meeting during my 'layover' in IAH, but looks like there is a fare break with more than a 4 hour connection, which would make it tight.

Not sure if this is worth risking a true hidden city scenario.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smashr
Thanks for the tips. I messed around with BTR a bit thinking I could take my meeting during my 'layover' in IAH, but looks like there is a fare break with more than a 4 hour connection, which would make it tight.

Not sure if this is worth risking a true hidden city scenario.
AUS instead of IAH?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:27 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Fare incredulousness always brings to mind the following analogy:

-- Driving on a packed rush hour highway, "Why are all these people making traffic so bad?"
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
UA-CO fares to HNL Increase

Did anyone else notice fares jumped almost $200.00 Wed. Jan18th DEN-HNL going forward; also, From West Coast cities not served by Alaska, Hawaiian.

Wishing Alaska Air would run a non-stop DEN-HNL
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by Pegasus23
Did anyone else notice fares jumped almost $200.00 Wed. Jan18th DEN-HNL going forward; also, From West Coast cities not served by Alaska, Hawaiian.

Prices change all of time. Welcome to the wonderful world of airfares.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:17 am

HNL fares bounce all over. What goes up in that market nearly always comes down again. Tourism to HI is still soft.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: MYOB

Originally Posted by JetAway
HNL fares bounce all over. What goes up in that market nearly always comes down again. Tourism to HI is still soft.
Yep, all over the place. ROC-HNL next fall came DOWN on Wed from ~1500 to ~850.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where would they stop for fuel with their all-737 fleet?

The problem with AS and these non-hub flights is they can be short-lived. AS had a very strong network from the Bay Area to Mexico's leisure markets for some time. When the economy tanked and Mexico tourism softened, they cut back substantially and started working on Hawaii.

That's fine if you can jump on a short-term sale every now and then, but if you're looking for long-term fare pressure, who knows what they'll move to next.

I can't count the number of flights they've stopped and started out of the Bay Area over the years. While I applaud them for being nimble and taking risks, for a customer who wants to focus on one (1) carrier and maintain a relationship, they're too all over the place for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.