Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Was offered $3569.00 for SFO-SYD Economy to Global First at check in. Took it as it looked like the upgrade to business was not going to happen. Any clue on what kind of calculation they would have used??
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
On a recent EWR-FRA flight, prior to checking in, the upgrade offer from economy to business was slightly less than $2000.00. Immediately after check in it dropped to $502.00 Normally I wouldn't take such an offer but did this time since I wasn't feeling well and really needed to improve my chances of sleeping on the flight.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not IME, $700, $800, $900, ... for TATL, TAPC are far below fare buy ups.

UFC is very much alive.
Interesting. I always thought these made sense provided that they clear everyone on the UG waitlist first. Hope we can get more data on thhis. $600 to $900 makes sense in my book.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:25 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
On a recent EWR-FRA flight, prior to checking in, the upgrade offer from economy to business was slightly less than $2000.00. Immediately after check in it dropped to $502.00 Normally I wouldn't take such an offer but did this time since I wasn't feeling well and really needed to improve my chances of sleeping on the flight.
When you say after check in, where exactly in the process did you see the offer? Thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
ZRH-EWR Z > F offered at ~$1,100 during OLCI. Declined. (I think it was $1,139. 3 seats unassigned at OLCI, FWIW.)

Originally Posted by 5khours
Interesting. I always thought these made sense provided that they clear everyone on the UG waitlist first. Hope we can get more data on thhis. $600 to $900 makes sense in my book.
I think PMUA operated this way, clearing all waitlisted U/G's prior to offering cash upgrades.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:19 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Domestic Upgrade Offer

I booked a CLE-EWR-ORF-ORD-CLE roundtrip last week and after purchasing the system offered me a $95 upgrade on my ORF-ORD-CLE segments. I didn't that was a terrible offer but declined as it's the day after Christmas on early morning flights and am hoping for a UDU. Anyway, noticed immediately after ticketing that the upgrade offer was $934 as view in the "manage my reservations" area. I thought that was very strange. I've never seen an offer like that at time of booking nor such a sharp increase in the upgrade offer price.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by harold
When you say after check in, where exactly in the process did you see the offer? Thanks.
After I started the online check in process - right after completing the questions about passport info and whether I was checking bags. I had logged into my account a few minutes prior and the same "upgrade for $1956.00" that had been there all along was still being offered. I'm sure if I had taken the more expensive pre-check in offer I would have gotten the class of service mileage bonus, but still, that is a pretty decent price drop in the course of no more than a minute!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Have anyone got an offer about buy an upgrade from USA to Europe at OLCI, gate?

I would like to hear if any of you has ever got an offer to buy an upgrade on route USA-Europe? and much was it, or defenetely there is no chance that this happens on UNITED?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it happens occasionally though less so now with smaller planes (757) on many US-EU routes. i have not experienced it myself but i have heard stories of others getting offers for as low as $350-ish price range, and going on up from there.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Thanks, do you know if they got the offer at the gate, Kiosk or OLCI? I got such an offer once at a presidents club ( I asked if they have day of departure upgrades) and they made a call but the offer was 850 dollars for a IAH-FRA, by that time they were Continental.

Originally Posted by ddrost1
it happens occasionally though less so now with planes (757) on many US-EU routes. i have not experienced it myself but i have heard stories of others getting offers for as low as $350-ish price range, and going on up from there.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by miranda.mario
Thanks, do you know if they got the offer at the gate, Kiosk or OLCI? I got such an offer once at a presidents club ( I asked if they have day of departure upgrades) and they made a call but the offer was 850 dollars for a IAH-FRA, by that time they were Continental.
I was offered ~$900 EWR-IST to upgrade, saw on both the iPhone app at OLCI and the kiosk at the airport.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: UA PremExec
I had an OLCI offer to upgrade from business (Z fare) to F on SFO-FRO for about $800. I declined.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
EWR-LIS
L fare
PCU offered to businessfirst for $409 through OLCI
Accepted since I needed to sleep
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
H fare, ORD to CMH,1 hour flight on a ERJ-170 for the bargain sum of $509, declined
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:12 am

K Fare - SFO-MEL - $977 upgrade at OLCI to C.
declined, empty flight, had a whole row of 4 to myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.