Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Million Miler companion benefit

To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
https://www.united.com/MMcompanion

One year at a time. She does not actually get lifetime status, but as long as you leave your SO as your companion, it might as well be.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yaofeng
Just reached a million mile on UA. Do I expect my SO to get the life time gold as well?
You can desinate a person to recieve the same status you have via www.united.com/MMcompanion. Once selected that person will continue to have your status until you change it to another person. First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion.

The person can be your wife or it can be another person including a child.

Note the status the companion receives is your present status. So if you are a Platinum elite, the companion will be a Platinum also.

Your status will now "never" be less than Gold.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First companion choice section takes place immediately.
Does anyone have experience with how immediate is "immediately"? I'll probably reach 1M at the end of 2018 / beginning of 2019. For 2018 (and Jan 2019) my wife is 1K based on her own travels, but she'll cut back in 2018 so I want to think a bit about the timing.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Does anyone have experience with how immediate is "immediately"? I'll probably reach 1M at the end of 2018 / beginning of 2019. For 2018 (and Jan 2019) my wife is 1K based on her own travels, but she'll cut back in 2018 so I want to think a bit about the timing.
Your MM-qualifying flights will post before end of first week in January 2019. That'll provide more than three weeks for you to nominate and for United to activate your companion's status prior to her earned status expiration January 31, 3019. Shouldn't even be a close call...

since you're planning so far ahead, nobody can predict what UA may change relative to the MM program during the intervening time...

my experience is a day or so after nomination.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 3, 2017 at 12:23 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Google is your friend

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
When you initially nominate someone for MM companion status it takes as about as long as it takes for flight credit to register i.e. 24-48 hours.

SL

Last edited by SunLover; Sep 3, 2017 at 12:24 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
My oldest daughter is my MM "companion" and we reside in Hawaii. I am contemplating relocating to South Africa for 6 months to a year for a creative project. She would remain in Hawaii. Can I continue having her as my designated companion?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 2stepbay
My oldest daughter is my MM "companion" and we reside in Hawaii. I am contemplating relocating to South Africa for 6 months to a year for a creative project. She would remain in Hawaii. Can I continue having her as my designated companion?
Should be fine--once she's designated, just keeps rolling along.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Should be fine--once she's designated, just keeps rolling along.
thank you!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Address Verification

Does United require matching addresses for Global service mm companion match?

My experience is that it is not required for 1K or less, but unsure if it is required for GS.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by 2stepbay
My son is my MM companion but he currently attends university in the UK, however his address for MP purposes is our US address but his flights now originate out of the UK. For US tax purposes he as seen living with me so do not think UA should question this temporary absence for his schooling.

Assuming you are going to return to HI I think you may be able to argue a temporary relocation because that is how the US tax authorities would view it. This of course assumes UA question you having a different address to that of your daughter.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by 1KHI
Does United require matching addresses for Global service mm companion match?

My experience is that it is not required for 1K or less, but unsure if it is required for GS.
Not an issue. Call it in to make sure that an agent does it for you. I know a GS who nominated an unreated companion several years ago without issue.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Not an issue. Call it in to make sure that an agent does it for you. I know a GS who nominated an unreated companion several years ago without issue.
This is what I did with my niece who lives in a different state. Not a problem at all.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This is what I did with my niece who lives in a different state. Not a problem at all.
You were able to register someone who resides at a different physical location than you, possibly with a different last name, and had no issues because you had an agent process the request?

Just trying to be clear on the details as I'm hoping to change my address and keep my MM companion nominated if I do make that address change. (Currently I live out of the country but used my MM companion address as my own to ensure the nomination went through OK. Living out of the country helps a lot for not having to meet PDQ requirements...)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by SFHokie
You were able to register someone who resides at a different physical location than you, possibly with a different last name, and had no issues because you had an agent process the request?

Just trying to be clear on the details as I'm hoping to change my address and keep my MM companion nominated if I do make that address change. (Currently I live out of the country but used my MM companion address as my own to ensure the nomination went through OK. Living out of the country helps a lot for not having to meet PDQ requirements...)
The rule used to be that the designee had to reside at the same address. A few years ago United lifted this restriction.

I called GS to ask them to be sure. They transferred me to MPCS. I told them what I wanted to do - totally above board - and in no way wanted to compromise my lifetime GS status. The agent said it was perfectly fine now and went ahead and processed my request.

It was actually a win-win for United because she lives in DEN and the offices she visits with the most frequency are in IAH, IAD and EWR. She used to take the cheapest flight, but now she exclusively flies UA.

She's in her mid-twenties but looks like a teen. She tells me some good stories about being a young female GS. "Honey, I called Global Services, not Global Entry" is a common one. And she said the looks from the older male pax in BG1 can be priceless. She has also perfected - on her own sans coaching - the standing to the side of the BG's to facilitate getting on when GS are called.

She was THRILLED that she was going to get Economy Plus. Little did she know about her upgrades. She's at about 90 percent this year so far.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The rule used to be that the designee had to reside at the same address. A few years ago United lifted this restriction.

I called GS to ask them to be sure. They transferred me to MPCS. I told them what I wanted to do - totally above board - and in no way wanted to compromise my lifetime GS status. The agent said it was perfectly fine now and went ahead and processed my request.
Good to know, and thanks! I'll call them up and see if I can get my address on file changed to my current actual physical address and ensure my MM companion stays on the role!

It would be great if your niece could come up with a few good one-liners to deliver back to the GAs when they "remind" her that Global Service, not Global Entry, was called!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.