Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
131 miles short, the *only* reason I'm thinking of calling is...

Darn, as of today, UA.com finally has all the info I needed on-line to see exactly how many PQMs I'd earned through CC use, and whether any additional were owed to me.

Added up all the numbers they had for ua.com spend and came up with exactly 5000. Which means the 228 they credited me for the SFO-SIN MR instead of 662 is correct. Hate that!

So the only reason I can think of, for which they might grant me those extra 131 miles, is the fact that, until today, I had no way of knowing exactly where I stood (based on their information, not mine).

I'm not going to beg, but I will ask. Nicely.

Updated, 20 minutes later-

Spoke with a very nice woman who began the call by saying she was in Houston in a manner which made it clear that, to her, and thus me, that should matter.

She went to some trouble to verify the numbers and make sure it all added up. It did. And explained that, this year, her hands were tied, she was under instructions to tell people there were no "threshold" numbers this year, there was no guarantee of any sort of "buy up" offer whatsoever, and then did some more checking on my account and suggested using 10,000 choice points to buy 1000 PQMs (the minimum you can buy).

Darn. I was nice, I didn't beg, I told her that this had actually been a pretty pleasant year on United for me (which is the truth!). She even volunteered how much better Plat status was than Gold this year, how many more upgrades Plats got, and it almost sounded like she was going to tell me the numbers for Plats vs Gold, but instead only said that there was "huge" numbers of Golds compared to Plats.

That's the scoop. If you've got even 10 miles to make up, looks like you'd better find a short trip or pay the probably $300 min for accelerator miles. Sorry 'bout that. Still not sure if a short flight is in my future, or use 10k miles. The short flight would get me 1500 RDMs in addition to my needed PQMs, but is it worth the hassle to fly? Then again, for reasons unknown, I actually enjoy flying. Thought my last MR would cure that, but it didn't.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm Reason: New info
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
300 miles short of Gold

Will UA give Gold if my relative's the account 300 miles short? Should I call them?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
They should -- a call would help.

The don't give 1K status unless you actually have the full 100K, but Plat and Gold (and silver) they usually do
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by davidash

The don't give 1K status unless you actually have the full 100K, but Plat and Gold (and silver) they usually do
Seriously? What if someone is 723 short of Gold?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
If an elite tier is important, act, don't wait & hope

Originally Posted by milemonkey
Seriously? What if someone is 723 short of Gold?
Can't believe this thread just kind of hung on this one. Not much time to rectify the situation! The odds aren't in favor of United gifting *G status to someone 723 miles short, as I pointed out in my prior post in this thread. By the time you know if they've been "bad or good" it will be too late to do anything about it... and if it isn't too late, if they offer a subsequent buy-up opportunity after Jan 1, it will be very expensive.
Originally Posted by davidash
Whatever anecdotal experiences you've got to support the idea United is going to be that friendly, there's plenty in the opposite direction as well. If the desired elite tier is important to someone, they should do whatever they can to act now. Call first, beg or plead your case, and if you don't get anywhere (which is likely), get thee to an airport quickly! Or use elite maximizer, or buy PQMs (up to 5000) using Chase Points.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Can't believe this thread just kind of hung on this one. Not much time to rectify the situation! The odds aren't in favor of United gifting *G status to someone 723 miles short, as I pointed out in my prior post in this thread. By the time you know if they've been "bad or good" it will be too late to do anything about it... and if it isn't too late, if they offer a subsequent buy-up opportunity after Jan 1, it will be very expensive.
I'm only 17,000 PQM's shy of 1K. Will they gift it to me? (LOL!)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:26 pm

I grant this wish for just $1847! (17k miles short of 1K)

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I'm only 17,000 PQM's shy of 1K. Will they gift it to me? (LOL!)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I can grant you that wish for $2,193. You leave this coming Saturday from SFO, fly to Singapore & return, arriving back on Monday.

Or just $1847 SFO-DXB! Your choice of exotic locales, and 1K is yours!

East-coaster? Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Cutting it Too Close!

Phew -

MileagePlus Status Level: Premier Gold
Star Alliance Status: Gold
Year to Date Premier Miles: 50,129
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I can grant you that wish for $2,193. You leave this coming Saturday from SFO, fly to Singapore & return, arriving back on Monday.

Or just $1847 SFO-DXB! Your choice of exotic locales, and 1K is yours!

East-coaster? Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
LOL - no way would my household CFO approve another $1800 - especially after Xmas!

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
LOL - no way would my household CFO approve another $1800 - especially after Xmas!

Merry Christmas!
Yes, Merry Christmas to you as well!

And Sunday, you can think of me, up in the air again, a short SFO-LAX-SFO trip being taken because I'm 131 miles short of Platinum.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: United, Hyatt, Starwood, Hertz
2013 Status - Questions

I'm sure the title of this thread is going to open up a lot of questions.

My question: I have literally 500 PQM left in order to qualify for 2013 1K . Do I need to purchase more PQM's (www.united.com/choices) or can I call the MP desk and ask them if they'll bump me because I'm so close? OR perhaps I'll just automatically get bumped? I'd prefer to not have to spend 10,000 miles (via Choices) just to get the 1,000 PQMs of which I really only need 500.

Thoughts please. Happy new year!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:00 am

A couple of existing threads to look at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-pqm-pqs.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA1k
80 miles short of 1k

Do you think UA will push it through if I call?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:00 pm
Suspended

This is 1 year I never would have left my status level in COdbaUAs hands. Its their 1st year as a joint concern and they feel they are overloaded with Elites.

Bout the only way I might have rolled the dice is if I had spent an insane amount of $$$ on Full Fares and were < 500 miles from hitting the Goal. If you flew a ton of ElCheapos and no Full Fares I wouldnt expect any special consideration and youd better jump on a flight tomorrow, or get used to your new lower status level
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:25 pm

70 miles short of Platinum

I'm currently 70 miles short of Platinum, and I'm waiting for a Lufthansa flight from DUS-TLV on an L fare to post. I've already requested a credit as the flight was over two weeks ago so I'm a little concerned it's lost forever. Should I hop up to Boston tomorrow from NYC just to be sure or is it possible that United will grant the status anyway??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.