Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
United measures down to the 0.5 mile?
I thought they rounded down for any COS 150% bonus.

OP may be 3 miles short instead!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: united, continental, american
Probably not. That's my total using great circle mapper, and PQM bonus for C for a trip to Beijing.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Easy

Call up United when you have that 99,997 miles 5 times. Try to settle with agent, if cannot, ask for supervisor 5 times.

Trust me, out of that 5 phone calls/10 people, someone will grant it to you!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: united, continental, american
Smallest Premier Maximizer I can get with planned flights is $1000 (remaining planned flights are all transcon at least). Smallest MR I can get is $178.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Well, planning your miles with no contingencies for missed credits, cancelled flights, re-routes, etc is probably not smart in July - IFF 1k is important to you.
I'd say the opposite; irrops are an opportunity to get more miles. You can always ask for ORC if you've been invol rerouted. But you may get more miles in your rerouted itin. So your booked miles are the minimum you should get for most situations, unless you invoke trip-in-vain and get your money back.

I've flown almost 1M BIS and have not lost out on miles for an itinerary that I wanted to fly yet.

If I were the OP I'd just wait and see, odds of 1 more flight getting tacked on at this point seem reasonable.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Never count on UA giving you status for being "close." Buy PQM now or else plan for a MR. If you have reliable records (sounds like you do), you might also plan a buffer for any miscredited flights (such as full Y "bonus" during irrops) which UA potentially may claw back next year.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
too far from the end of the year to worry about this unless the OP has other issues like meeting the minimum number of UA flights to qualify, or lives in a place that is very obnoxious to get out of for a mileage run.

OP i suggest if you want to start working on it now and you are already an elite, you start using SDC to prolong some of your itineraries and add segments. this is the easiest way to pick up a few extra miles without spending more $$.

eg: ORD-SFO becomes ORD-LAX-SFO and voila! 500 extra miles, plus or minus.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
You can always SDC to a flight with a connection and that may be enough to push you over the 100,000 mark.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uwman
Probably not. That's my total using great circle mapper, and PQM bonus for C for a trip to Beijing.
best to use UA mileage numbers, it some case they are larger and some cases smaller

Originally Posted by uwman
Smallest Premier Maximizer I can get with planned flights is $1000 (remaining planned flights are all transcon at least). Smallest MR I can get is $178.
Build a throwaway sfo-lax ow and you will get a 1,000 mile offer, probably less than $178. Cancel the the underlying flight (within 24 hours) and just keep the purchased miles.

Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain
You can always SDC to a flight with a connection and that may be enough to push you over the 100,000 mark.
especially with your future transcons, this is the cheapest option.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by ddrost1
too far from the end of the year to worry about this unless the OP has other issues like meeting the minimum number of UA flights to qualify, or lives in a place that is very obnoxious to get out of for a mileage run.

OP i suggest if you want to start working on it now and you are already an elite, you start using SDC to prolong some of your itineraries and add segments. this is the easiest way to pick up a few extra miles without spending more $$.

eg: ORD-SFO becomes ORD-LAX-SFO and voila! 500 extra miles, plus or minus.
Exactly! You still have half a year of IRROPS ahead and get rebooked in Y. Or "miss" a flight and fingers crossed you get rebooked in Y. 1.5x EQM.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Exactly! You still have half a year of IRROPS ahead and get rebooked in Y. Or "miss" a flight and fingers crossed you get rebooked in Y. 1.5x EQM.
I wouldn't necessarily count on those "bonus" miles from irrops. UA may audit accounts down the road and "correct" them to the originally-booked fare buckets. Poof! Nowhere is it in writing that pax are entitled to keep those irrops-"bonus" miles.

This year, UA clawed back erroneous postings (duplicate postings as well as class-of-service bonuses) resulting from the SHARES fiasco over a year after the mistakes--resulting in some affected users dropping a level in elite status with no way to fly or purchase miles. UA granted an exception and reinstated status to those who complained, but there's no guarantee in the future in a similar situation that UA would do so again.

Thus, these bonuses are nice, but I wouldn't want to count on them for status...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sdc sdc sdc.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
SDC -- this is a no brainer.

I just did this at the gate, changing DCA-DEN to DCA-IAH-DEN. This added +/- 600 miles to the itinerary.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GBadger
SDC -- this is a no brainer.

I just did this at the gate, changing DCA-DEN to DCA-IAH-DEN. This added +/- 600 miles to the itinerary.
Or perhaps OP can add a segment to the flight in C - might be refundable/changeable?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Extra 1.5 PQS mysteriously appears

Last weekend I was scheduled to fly CID-DEN-MRY on UA, but the CID-DEN leg was delayed over three hours (mechanical), so I was going to miss the only DEN-MRY flight of the day. UA rebooked me on AA through DFW to SFO, then on to MRY the next morning on UA. The SFO-MRY leg on UA showed up in my account almost right away, along with an extra 1.5 PQS. So it seems that UA comped me for the leg I didn't end up flying with them, plus an extra 0.5 PQS. This all matters because I am tantalizing close to Silver status for the first time ever. So what I am wondering is, if I end up with 29.5 PQS (I'm closer to status in segments than miles), what happens? Will I have to fly one more leg to get 30.5? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.