Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone booked LH F awards recently?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JC Gold
I just snagged an F upgrade T-2 on a JFK-MUC flight that had been sitting at F5 A5 for almost two weeks. Yay!

When I called in to change the ticket, the agent read something on the screen alluding to a Lufthansa restriction that flights not be booked within 24 hours of departure time (ostensibly to allow time for ticketing). I see instances in this thread where folks have changed to F within hours of a flight, is there anything to be worried about? I'm trying to upgrade some travel companions but LH seems very tight with O and I inventory via MUC and expect if anything to become available very late.
Congrats. Earlier this year, I was able to book (not change) an LH fight for a friend on UA.com about four hours before departure. My recollection is that it ticketed within 15 minutes. Other partners are not as efficient so that "LH restriction" may just be a general "caution".
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:07 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I have an F award from Bangkok to USA that includes a LH TATL segment. I originally booked it in biz because that's all the agent said was available when I called in, even though F was available on the website. I noticed F for my flight was available on the ANA tool earlier this morning and I called in to change the segment from C to F. This time the agent saw the seat and the award was re-issued with the F seat. It shows up as F on My Reservations on United, but when I look it up on LH's my booking, it still shows as Biz, booking class I. Should I be worried?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by aau
I have an F award from Bangkok to USA that includes a LH TATL segment. I originally booked it in biz because that's all the agent said was available when I called in, even though F was available on the website. I noticed F for my flight was available on the ANA tool earlier this morning and I called in to change the segment from C to F. This time the agent saw the seat and the award was re-issued with the F seat. It shows up as F on My Reservations on United, but when I look it up on LH's my booking, it still shows as Biz, booking class I. Should I be worried?
Yes. If a few hrs have passed and LH does not show change call LH and ask off they see the change. The updated ticket may not have been reissued. But give it 2-3 hrs to reflect on LH.com
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Yes. If a few hrs have passed and LH does not show change call LH and ask off they see the change. The updated ticket may not have been reissued. But give it 2-3 hrs to reflect on LH.com
+1

If it does not show in LH system the booking class O then you should be concerned.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
The phantom availability on UA.com is REALLY bad right now. Probably the worst that I've seen it. Literally not 1 of about 10 flights Ive tried to book over the next 2 weeks is actually available.

As well, seems that LH may becoming more stingy with releasing seats? FRA-BOS is F8 at about 10 days out and no seats released. Also, NRT-FRA is F7 at T-6 and no seats released. seems strange.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by avi8tir
The phantom availability on UA.com is REALLY bad right now. Probably the worst that I've seen it. Literally not 1 of about 10 flights Ive tried to book over the next 2 weeks is actually available.

As well, seems that LH may becoming more stingy with releasing seats? FRA-BOS is F8 at about 10 days out and no seats released. Also, NRT-FRA is F7 at T-6 and no seats released. seems strange.

Well I was able to get 2 F seats NYC-FRA when I was looking this past Saturday. I was shocked when it went thru but it did. Checked the PNR on LH.com and it's all good to go. Still shocked. Agree on return there are 7 seats on one of the flts and none released yet.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 5:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
sorry if this has been asked already - but if i have a award tix (pre devaluation) that was booked as mixed (paid F) and F saver opens on LH (currently in J) will i get upgraded ? Whats the process on this?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by avi8tir

True on both accounts. Cross referencing with ANA still seems to be the best method to determine actual F award availability.

Definitely seems LH is becoming stingier. Last week LH never seemed to open F space on an IAD-MUC flight I was tracking, despite an F cabin load of 1 and very light J (half full) and Y loads. I'm seeing a similar trend trying to change my return flight next week. Who knows what's going on?

Merry Christmas.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well, I got my return from fra back to the us done. I am really psyched to experience the FCT and do a RT in F on LH. God knows with the UA deval I will not be doing this one again in the future at the prices UA wants after 2/1/14.

I'm going to keep monitoring to see if I can change to a more direct flt.

The bad thing about the NH site is that if it is within 4 days of departure they do not show availability due to their booking constraints.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:23 pm

I am on an LH award on Thursday. I originally had a GlobalFirst United flight SEA-SFO-FRA-TXL. Thanks to advice from FlyerTalk, I checked four days before the trip. Sure enough, the nonstop from Seattle to Frankfurt was open in Lufthansa First Class. I switched the ticket online, and I got a $1.50 refund (due to changes in tax.)

I kept getting an error message, but reservation change was actually perfect on both the United and Lufthansa web sites.

As much as the First Class Terminal sounds cool, I think that I'll probably be better off in the A10 First Class Lounge. I'll have plenty of time for a shower and breakfast. According to reports here, I wouldn't have anything to gain by using the First Class Terminal.

In the future, I may use the same plan: book on United First if that's the only thing available, but switch over to Lufthansa closer to the trip.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Mats
In the future, I may use the same plan: book on United First if that's the only thing available, but switch over to Lufthansa closer to the trip.
That's been my method for the past couple of years. Unfortunately, starting in February this will no longer be possible without paying a substantial increase in miles (85,000 extra miles, for example, to switch to a LH F roundtrip award to Europe and even more for Africa/Asia awards!).

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Mats
I wouldn't have anything to gain by using the First Class Terminal.
YUP. Just an extra two german stamps on your passport
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by footastic
sorry if this has been asked already - but if i have a award tix (pre devaluation) that was booked as mixed (paid F) and F saver opens on LH (currently in J) will i get upgraded ? Whats the process on this?
No, if you see your flight has F available, you have to call in to change your segment to F, which will subject to change fee and if it is after 2/1/2014, you have a very high chance that you have to pay for the increase of miles because your ticket has to be re-issued.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Changed two seats FRA-JFK from I to O yesterday. Looking forward to F on the 747. I've never flown this configuration. Tried to book O on flights FRA-EWR and MUC-EWR today (both showing availability on UA but agent said they weren't available). Really happy that I got what I got. The phone agent was shocked that the seats I did reserve were open. He said most times what I see online is not really there.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:36 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I am curious as to whether a UA LH F roundtrip MP award booked at the pre devaluation levels would qualify for rebooking at a later date for the same amount of miles for the award. For example, the LH F award to Europe is priced at 135,000 MP miles, what happens if one wishes to change the return date to LH F flight in March or May?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.